U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 PM
 
148 posts, read 166,333 times
Reputation: 155

Advertisements

This article features an interesting comparison of Greenville, SC and Burlington, VT; it also discusses the impact that a strong mayor can have on a city. Why Cities Work Even When Washington Doesn't - James Fallows - The Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 AM
 
36 posts, read 35,565 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Bo View Post
This article features an interesting comparison of Greenville, SC and Burlington, VT; it also discusses the impact that a strong mayor can have on a city. Why Cities Work Even When Washington Doesn't - James Fallows - The Atlantic
Vermont has almost no population growth and it might be negative right now. Hard to compare it to Greenville SC as a whole in my view. Their views on things up there doesn't entice new businesses to move in. Plus it is extremely cold and cost of heating oil is expensive.

SC isn't anti-union as this writer described it....it is pro worker having the right to get a job without also being forced to be in a union to get the job. Unions want to negotiate a labor contract with employers that all employees are bound to. Lot of people think they can negotiate a better salary for themselves than the union can, and they are right about that. We aren't getting all these new companies without our pro-right to work stance. That law has been very good for us.

I always tell Democrats who are not happy about living in Greenville (but seem to like the downtown area) to move to Burlington Vermont. Looks like my advice was spot on. lol

Last edited by Pinetree9; 05-02-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 AM
 
4,382 posts, read 6,071,677 times
Reputation: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetree9 View Post
Vermont has almost no population growth and it might be negative right now. Hard to compare it to Greenville SC as a whole in my view. Their views on things up there doesn't entice new businesses to move in. Plus it is extremely cold and cost of heating oil is expensive.

SC isn't anti-union as this writer described it....it is pro worker having the right to get a job without also being forced to be in a union to get the job. Unions want to negotiate a labor contract with employers that all employees are bound to. Lot of people think they can negotiate a better salary for themselves than the union can, and they are right about that. We aren't getting all these new companies without our pro-right to work stance. That law has been very good for us.

I always tell Democrats who are not happy about living in Greenville (but seem to like the downtown area) to move to Burlington Vermont. Looks like my advice was spot on. lol
Different vibes between the two. Weather is better down here for one, but there are also many other things different. Greenville is more open minded than the average person thinks also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 01:04 PM
 
36 posts, read 35,565 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Different vibes between the two. Weather is better down here for one, but there are also many other things different. Greenville is more open minded than the average person thinks also.
Open minded means different things to different people. These days, a lot of people use to describe people who have their politics. You are close minded if you disagree with them on politics. It can't be you considered their viewpoints and rejected them for legit reasons.

Weather is not necessarily better down here. That is a subjective thing. Some people prefer the cold to warmer and more humid weather. Obviously the invention of AC was the best thing that ever happened to the SC and the southeast as it made it more attractive.

Regarding the close minded stereotype of SC, I bet race relations would be pretty bad in Vermont if a lot of black people moved there. Right now it is a lily white state. States like SC actually have better race relations because white and blacks interact a lot more and we grow up in the same schools. At least some of us do.

Burlington is probably a cool place for like 3 months of the year. I would like to visit it. Good place to live if you like snow skiing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 01:20 PM
 
36 posts, read 35,565 times
Reputation: 37
I scoffed when I read that somebody in Houston didn't like the idea of moving to Greenville. Houston isn't exactly paradise. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 02:34 PM
 
4,382 posts, read 6,071,677 times
Reputation: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetree9 View Post
Open minded means different things to different people. These days, a lot of people use to describe people who have their politics. You are close minded if you disagree with them on politics. It can't be you considered their viewpoints and rejected them for legit reasons.

Weather is not necessarily better down here. That is a subjective thing. Some people prefer the cold to warmer and more humid weather. Obviously the invention of AC was the best thing that ever happened to the SC and the southeast as it made it more attractive.

Regarding the close minded stereotype of SC, I bet race relations would be pretty bad in Vermont if a lot of black people moved there. Right now it is a lily white state. States like SC actually have better race relations because white and blacks interact a lot more and we grow up in the same schools. At least some of us do.

Burlington is probably a cool place for like 3 months of the year. I would like to visit it. Good place to live if you like snow skiing.
Yes. On the race relation thing, there is definitely a more balanced mixture here. Not only black and white, but other backgrounds also. By saying it's more open minded than people think, I'm speaking of many different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top