U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 03:45 PM

36 posts, read 35,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRG View Post
I haven't been to campus, hoping to get there soon. Glad to hear the downtown area is growing. College towns once they get a good reputation for diverse offerings seem to grow fairly quickly, and housing costs can go up too. Still seems affordable to me.

Are there good realtors/firms in the area you'd recommend? And if one realtor does Clemson area, are they likely to know Easley or N. Anderson area too?
I dont know any personally. There are some that post on this website I believe.

They generally will cover The Foothills area which includes Anderson, Seneca, Clemson, Pendleton, Easley, Pickens. Most of these will probably be located in Anderson or Seneca.

Powdersville and Easley are usually thrown in with Greenville.

Housing costs going up shouldn't be an issue in Clemson, that it still a rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 07:34 PM
IRG IRG started this thread

15 posts, read 25,429 times
Still not sure I quite understand where different school districts exist. Wren High School is not listed as a part of Easley, but I thought maybe it was a part of the Anderson district (One?) but I don't see it listed on Anderson's website either. I'm probably not looking at the right sites though. Seems like a lot of good areas to live in the region that are affordable as well.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:11 PM

2,050 posts, read 1,835,110 times
Anderson County can be a bit confusing because it is divided into 5 separate school districts that operate pretty much independently of one another.

Anderson District One has three High Schools - Palmetto (Willamston and Plezer), Wren (mainly rural and subarban), and Powdersville (very NE corner of Anderson County). Since Powdersville has only been open 3 years, Zillow may not have been updated with the school attendance zone yet. If you want to know which areas are zoned for which schools within Anderson District One, the following link is a map from the school district that shows the boundary lines: School Information Locator

We live in the Powdersville attendance zone and it takes us 25 minutes to get to the Clemson campus. The drive would be 20-30 minutes depending on exactly where you live in the attendance zone. There is actually a lot in the Easley and Powdersville area: 2 Walmarts, a movie theater, 10+ grocery stores, Home Depot, Lowes, lots of restaurants, etc. We don't often find the need to go elsewhere for shopping, but when we do, the Woodruff Road area of Greenville and Haywood mall are 20-25 minutes away. We can also be in downtown Greenville in 20 minutes, which is nice. Being between Clemson and Greenville is nice - we go to events in both places. There are a lot of people where one spouse works at Clemson and the other works in Greenville in the Powdersville area.

Daniel High School in Clemson is excellent, Pendleton just south of Clemson is good, TL Hanna is also a good school. Wren and Powdersville are both excellent as well. Easley and Seneca are okay - not spectacular but they are okay. To me the other problem with living in Seneca is although they have quite a bit of shopping (similar to Easley), if you can't find it in Seneca, it is almost an hour from there to the mall in Anderson or Greenville.

While Hanna is a good school, one big difference between Hanna and Wren or Powdersville is the size of the school. Hanna has ~1,800 students while Wren is 1,200 and Powdersville will be about 800 when they have 4 full grades. Pendleton has 800 students, and Daniel has 1,000 students. There are pluses and minuses to big vs. small schools - I'm just pointing it out in case it makes a difference for you. South Carolina schools in general are not great but Hanna, Wren, Powdersville, Pendleton, and Daniel are all great schools and it would honestly be hard to go wrong with any of those choices. We picked Powdersville because the school was great, it's convenient to where I work at Donaldson Center, convenient to Greenville, and not too far from my mom who lives in Anderson. If I was working at Clemson I'd look at the areas that feed those 5 high schools and then pick the one that was the best fit for my family for all the other things you are looking for in your new home.

Sorry to ramble a bit but thought I'd give you another viewpoint.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Anderson County can be a bit confusing because it is divided into 5 separate school districts that operate pretty much independently of one another.

Anderson District One has three High Schools - Palmetto (Willamston and Plezer), Wren (mainly rural and subarban), and Powdersville (very NE corner of Anderson County). Since Powdersville has only been open 3 years, Zillow may not have been updated with the school attendance zone yet. If you want to know which areas are zoned for which schools within Anderson District One, the following link is a map from the school district that shows the boundary lines: School Information Locator

We live in the Powdersville attendance zone and it takes us 25 minutes to get to the Clemson campus. The drive would be 20-30 minutes depending on exactly where you live in the attendance zone. There is actually a lot in the Easley and Powdersville area: 2 Walmarts, a movie theater, 10+ grocery stores, Home Depot, Lowes, lots of restaurants, etc. We don't often find the need to go elsewhere for shopping, but when we do, the Woodruff Road area of Greenville and Haywood mall are 20-25 minutes away. We can also be in downtown Greenville in 20 minutes, which is nice. Being between Clemson and Greenville is nice - we go to events in both places. There are a lot of people where one spouse works at Clemson and the other works in Greenville in the Powdersville area.

Daniel High School in Clemson is excellent, Pendleton just south of Clemson is good, TL Hanna is also a good school. Wren and Powdersville are both excellent as well. Easley and Seneca are okay - not spectacular but they are okay. To me the other problem with living in Seneca is although they have quite a bit of shopping (similar to Easley), if you can't find it in Seneca, it is almost an hour from there to the mall in Anderson or Greenville.

While Hanna is a good school, one big difference between Hanna and Wren or Powdersville is the size of the school. Hanna has ~1,800 students while Wren is 1,200 and Powdersville will be about 800 when they have 4 full grades. Pendleton has 800 students, and Daniel has 1,000 students. There are pluses and minuses to big vs. small schools - I'm just pointing it out in case it makes a difference for you. South Carolina schools in general are not great but Hanna, Wren, Powdersville, Pendleton, and Daniel are all great schools and it would honestly be hard to go wrong with any of those choices. We picked Powdersville because the school was great, it's convenient to where I work at Donaldson Center, convenient to Greenville, and not too far from my mom who lives in Anderson. If I was working at Clemson I'd look at the areas that feed those 5 high schools and then pick the one that was the best fit for my family for all the other things you are looking for in your new home.

Sorry to ramble a bit but thought I'd give you another viewpoint.

Thanks for rambling! Actually very helpful, and inline with my thoughts too. I fear TL Hannah is just a bit bigger than I would like it to be. I actually like the idea of a smaller high school, so Powdersville might be just the thing. Wren should be fine too. Our current high school is about 1400 students or so.

I don't think Zillow has updated their listings for Powdersville High School. I'll check out that link too. I'm thinking if the elementary/middle school says Powdersville on the Zillow listing, that maybe the high school isn't Wren but Powdersville High.

I think being in this area, being a little more central to everything is a good move. Close to the northern Anderson area, not a bad commute to Clemson, and fairly close to Greenville stuff. Is there a Target planned for the Easley area? Our family is definitely more of a Target family than a Walmart one, lol. We'll need a good orthodontist and vet as well. I'm sure there are plenty around this region.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for rambling! Actually very helpful, and inline with my thoughts too. I fear TL Hannah is just a bit bigger than I would like it to be. I actually like the idea of a smaller high school, so Powdersville might be just the thing. Wren should be fine too. Our current high school is about 1400 students or so.

I don't think Zillow has updated their listings for Powdersville High School. I'll check out that link too. I'm thinking if the elementary/middle school says Powdersville on the Zillow listing, that maybe the high school isn't Wren but Powdersville High.

I think being in this area, being a little more central to everything is a good move. Close to the northern Anderson area, not a bad commute to Clemson, and fairly close to Greenville stuff. Is there a Target planned for the Easley area? Our family is definitely more of a Target family than a Walmart one, lol. We'll need a good orthodontist and vet as well. I'm sure there are plenty around this region.
For the most part, Anderson District One aligns kids to stay together from elementary through high school so houses listed for Powdersville Elementary will normally attend Concrete Primary, Powdersville Middle, and then Powdersville High. Once you get an address, you can plug it into the previous link and it will tell you the schools.

Target was at one point a few years ago rumored to be looking to build in Powdersville and then changed their mind when the economy soured. They seem to have most of their money tied up in their Canada expansion right now, so I wouldn't count on seeing a new Target soon. The Upstate doens't have many Target stores. There is one in Anderson, one in Simpsonville, and one off Woodruff Road in Greenville. None of those are particularly convenient to Powdersville. About the only thing missing from Easley shopping for our family is a large bookstore and a Target. There is a small independent bookstore in downtown Easley, kind of a throwback to another era.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 AM

Makes sense. A good bookstore is always a plus too. My wife is a writer, so it's always nice to have a good local resource too. I read something the other day that mentioned that independent bookstores are actually on the rise, more niche type of stores that cater to different needs. Amazon can be convenient, and it has its uses, but nothing beats an actual store for browsing and finding new things.

I'm into guitars myself, so finding a good guitar store is always a plus. I think there is a good one in Greenville too. And probably a Guitar Center somewhere in the area, though I greatly prefer independent ones and/or vintage stores for the most part.

And my teenage daughter (and the 8 year old) will be quite interested in knowing there's a decent mall in the area, unlike what we have now.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Makes sense. A good bookstore is always a plus too. My wife is a writer, so it's always nice to have a good local resource too. I read something the other day that mentioned that independent bookstores are actually on the rise, more niche type of stores that cater to different needs. Amazon can be convenient, and it has its uses, but nothing beats an actual store for browsing and finding new things.

I'm into guitars myself, so finding a good guitar store is always a plus. I think there is a good one in Greenville too. And probably a Guitar Center somewhere in the area, though I greatly prefer independent ones and/or vintage stores for the most part.

And my teenage daughter (and the 8 year old) will be quite interested in knowing there's a decent mall in the area, unlike what we have now.
The independent bookstore is pretty neat - only bookstore I've been to recently where there were NO electronics - just the smell of paper. The hours are a bit odd at that store but it is nice to have in an era where bookstores are closing. There are a couple of Barnes and Noble stores in Greenville and a Books a Million in Anderson when the local place doesn't have something. My wife has so many books now that she just trades books using Paperbackswap most of the time.

I can't help you with Guitar Stores other than there is a Guitar Center off of Laurens Road in Greenville. My daughter is in marching band so I can tell you where to buy or get repairs on brass instruments, though.

It can be tough moving as a teenager - we moved with one going into 8th and 10th grade. The older one, our son, is a big introvert and still hasn't made many friends here 3 years later. Our daughter is more outgoing but it has been a struggle fitting in to a new school where a lot of the kids have known each other since kindergarten. I think being in the band actually helped give her a group to belong to - we were very fortunate to land in a school with an awesome band program (Anderson District One supports the arts in general in all their schools).

Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 AM

The kid moving thing concerns me too, yet they all seem excited by the prospect. The soon to be 10th grader is pretty social, and was on the cheerleading team as a freshman, but they struggled as a team - and were clearly outmatched by other area teams. We showed her a video of the Wren cheerleading team and she quickly thought it would be tough to compete and make the team. Both of my girls are into gymnastics too, the younger one is very good and could be on the competitive track in the near future. Is that sport popular in the area? And is cheerleading a sport at Powdersville High?

My middle child (son) is home schooled, and is diagnosed as Aspergers. So the social thing is hard for him, and he had a miserable 5th grade, so we decided to pull him from the public schools and see how it goes this year. I doubt he'll transition to public school down there either. He is actually pretty sociable, but doesn't always get the small dynamics and kids can perceive anything amiss in someone in a variety of ways. Any special schools in the Greenville area that cater to this type of student? And how is home schooling in general in the area? We never thought of going this route until last year.

The youngest child is very outgoing, and she'll have a new best friend within 5 minutes of moving down there. Amazing networking skills she has, lol.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Powdersville has 2 cheerleading squads. One squad does the traditional cheering at football and basketball games. The other squad is a competitive squad made up mostly by kids with dance and/or gymnastics backgrounds. You could probably contact the competitive cheer coach to get information about gymnastics. I don't see the coach listed but if you called the high school, I'm sure they'd be willing to help. They have a dance team as well. That's about all I know about it as a band parent.

I don't know about schools in the area specifically for kids with Aspergers. I do know that homeschooling is popular in this area. Here is one group in the area: Home - Piedmont Home Educators' Association

Old 11-19-2014, 07:58 AM
QKL

11 posts, read 20,995 times
IRG where did you end up moving to?

My husband and I are also looking into the areas between Clemson and Greenville as I'll be working in Seneca; however, we don't really want to live in Seneca. We both really enjoy Greenville, but aren't sure the commute to Seneca would be worth what we'd gain from living near Greenville. However, we would rather live in an area we enjoy and commute to work then have a quick commute and not enjoy the community we actually live in. We are in our late twenties/early thirties, about to start a family so are looking for a family-friendly community. I'd love to hear how your search has been going or if you all have settled on an area. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area