Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:15 PM
IRG IRG started this thread

15 posts, read 32,442 times

Advertisements

I'm possibly looking at a new job at Clemson U. Checking out various areas to live in the area. Clemson is fairly small, so I might look towards the Greenville area, namely Easley or Powdersville. The Northlake area also gets pretty high marks.

The public schools are important to me. 3 kids, by the fall they will be in 4th, 7th and 10th grades. Middle child is home- schooled, but the other two will be in public school.

In Northlake, the T.L. Hannah school seems pretty good, Clemson has good schools too, and in Easley it looks like Wren High School is pretty good too. I see that Powdersville High school is new, so when I'm looking at real estate (Zillow) I can't find any homes that list Powdersville as the high school - maybe being new it just isn't listed yet.

In the Easley area, is Wren the high school to choose over Easley high? Where exactly does Powdersville High get students from?

Which area would be the worst commute to Clemson for me? Obviously Daniel High/Clemson area I would have a very short commute. Not as many homes to choose from. My budget house wise will probably be in the $225 - $300k range. Subdivisions are fine, having a nice little community pool would be a plus, if the HOA fees aren't too high.

First post here I think. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 01:38 PM

36 posts, read 45,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRG View Post
I'm possibly looking at a new job at Clemson U. Checking out various areas to live in the area. Clemson is fairly small, so I might look towards the Greenville area, namely Easley or Powdersville. The Northlake area also gets pretty high marks.

The public schools are important to me. 3 kids, by the fall they will be in 4th, 7th and 10th grades. Middle child is home- schooled, but the other two will be in public school.

In Northlake, the T.L. Hannah school seems pretty good, Clemson has good schools too, and in Easley it looks like Wren High School is pretty good too. I see that Powdersville High school is new, so when I'm looking at real estate (Zillow) I can't find any homes that list Powdersville as the high school - maybe being new it just isn't listed yet.

In the Easley area, is Wren the high school to choose over Easley high? Where exactly does Powdersville High get students from?

Which area would be the worst commute to Clemson for me? Obviously Daniel High/Clemson area I would have a very short commute. Not as many homes to choose from. My budget house wise will probably be in the $225 - $300k range. Subdivisions are fine, having a nice little community pool would be a plus, if the HOA fees aren't too high.

First post here I think. Thanks!
By Northlake do you mean Anderson? I think Northlake just refers to condos in Anderson on the lake.

I would receommend living in north Anderson, T. L Hannah school district. There is a great YMCA there, one of the best I've seen. The north Anderson schools are usually among the best in state by school score. There are some nice n'hoods in north Anderson. If you lived in the Brookstone Meadows golf course area your kids might be zoned for Wren there which are good schools too. Anderson has a decent mall, lot of restaurants, a good hospital and is poised for new growth.

Powdersville is basically the growing part of Easley. It is just the area b/t Easley and I-85. Powdersville High broke off from Wren High as Wren got too crowded.

I would recommend just staying in Clemson or Seneca over drive to Powdersville, unless you want to be closer to downtown Greenville for some reason. There isn't much in Powdersville itself. The appeal of it is it is a rural area about 15 minutes from downtown Greenville.

You could also consider the Pendelton area in between Clemson and Anderson. Pendleton high school is solid. I wouldn't judge SC schools soley on the school score because that is measuring student body demographics more than teacher ability. If more students come from lower income families than it has a lower school score while the rich kids are at the schools with good school scores. You should try to talk to teachers and paretns of other kids who went to the school.

Did you consider Seneca at all? To the west of Clemson over the lake. It has more than Clemson and about the same as Easley. Not a bad little town especially if you live on or near Lake Keowee.

Easley itself is experience new growth on the northeast side of town closer to Greenville. There are some nice established n'hoods like Heathwood.

Last edited by Pinetree9; 05-04-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetree9 View Post
By Northlake do you mean Anderson? I think Northlake just refers to condos in Anderson on the lake.

I would receommend living in north Anderson, T. L Hannah school district. There is a great YMCA there, one of the best I've seen. The north Anderson schools are usually among the best in state by school score. There are some nice n'hoods in north Anderson. If you lived in the Brookstone Meadows golf course area your kids might be zoned for Wren there which are good schools too. Anderson has a decent mall, lot of restaurants, a good hospital and is poised for new growth.

Powdersville is basically the growing part of Easley. It is just the area b/t Easley and I-85. Powdersville High broke off from Wren High as Wren got too crowded.

I would recommend just staying in Clemson or Seneca over drive to Powdersville, unless you want to be closer to downtown Greenville for some reason. There isn't much in Powdersville itself. The appeal of it is it is a rural area about 15 minutes from downtown Greenville.

You could also consider the Pendelton area in between Clemson and Anderson. Pendleton high school is solid. I wouldn't judge SC schools soley on the school score because that is measuring student body demographics more than teacher ability. If more students come from lower income families than it has a lower school score while the rich kids are at the schools with good school scores. You should try to talk to teachers and paretns of other kids who went to the school.

Did you consider Seneca at all? To the west of Clemson over the lake. It has more than Clemson and about the same as Easley. Not a bad little town especially if you live on or near Lake Keowee.

Easley itself is experience new growth on the northeast side of town closer to Greenville. There are some nice established n'hoods like Heathwood.
Thanks, helpful info for sure. I looked at Seneca initially, but was concerned about the school report cards, I know I shouldn't let that dictate everything. It is certainly more convenient. Is Seneca High a good school then? The Northlake area is indeed the northern section of Anderson. It looks at crime, weather, cost of housing, education ratings, etc. Not the be all end all, but a helpful site I guess in comparing one community to the other.

I'll check out Pendleton too, not as much to choose from I think, but location is good. Lots to consider here!

Last edited by Yac; 11-05-2020 at 03:51 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks, helpful info for sure. I looked at Seneca initially, but was concerned about the school report cards, I know I shouldn't let that dictate everything. It is certainly more convenient. Is Seneca High a good school then? The Northlake area is indeed the northern section of Anderson.
I'll check out Pendleton too, not as much to choose from I think, but location is good. Lots to consider here!
Interesting, NorthLake is a census designated place. I never heard that before and I went to Clemson. lol

People generall refer to to that area has north Anderson. Anything to the east of 76 / Clemson Blvd is north Anderson. To the west of Clemson Blvd is west Andersion which generally isn't recommended.

I know Seneca's elementary and middle scohol on the east side of town near the lake and Clemson have good school scores, so those kids are then going on to Seneca High School. Seneca High probably has a lower school score because there are a lot of poor kids in Seneca too. I could send my kids there but your mileage may vary. I went to a high school with a lower score school and I feel like my teachers there prepared me for college and I was able to take AP classes for college credit.

I would probably go with Seneca, Clemson, Pendelton or north Anderson. Anderson is the "big" city in that area and will give you more variety of places to eat. But if you live in one of those you really kind of live in all of them.

If you want to be closer to Greenville for "nightlife" then Easley or Powdersville make more sense but you will be doing a lot of driving if you do that on the weekdays. You could always go to Greenville on weekends from the other places.
Powdersville itself will have less going on than Clemson does espeecially during the school year.

Last edited by Yac; 11-05-2020 at 03:52 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 02:18 PM

What would a commute be like from Easley to Clemson, about 1/2 hour in morning/evening? I wouldn't want more than that.

I think the northern Anderson area could work, good overall compromise and such. How is Clemson as a community, separate from the University? Good town/gown relationship?

Old 05-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
What would a commute be like from Easley to Clemson, about 1/2 hour in morning/evening? I wouldn't want more than that.

I think the northern Anderson area could work, good overall compromise and such. How is Clemson as a community, separate from the University? Good town/gown relationship?
It is about 25 minutes to the far east side of Easley, where the new growth and housing is, from Clemson. It will be at least 30 to the Powdersville area.

It will probably be 25-30 minutes to drive to n. Anderson near the YMCA there so that is why I recommeneded Andreson over Easley/Powdersville as there is just more there to justify the commute.

A lot of people like living in Clemson. If you want a small town with some stuff going on, you can't beat Clemson. It does make sense to think about living there if you work at the university b/c I assume many of your collegues do. A lot of people retire in Clemson too. If just depends on if you are ok with having to drive over to Andreson and Greenville from time to time for more dining, shopping, entertainment options.

Central is adjacent to Clemson and that is really where you'll probably end up if you live there.
Here is a new neighborhood there that I checked out a year ago: Clemson, SC Real Estate: Property and Homes for Sale in Clemson

Old 05-04-2014, 02:31 PM

Here's the ranking for Northlake I was mentioning: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetree9 View Post
It is about 25 minutes to the far east side of Easley, where the new growth and housing is, from Clemson. It will be at least 30 to the Powdersville area.

It will probably be 25-30 minutes to drive to n. Anderson near the YMCA there so that is why I recommeneded Andreson over Easley/Powdersville as there is just more there to justify the commute.

A lot of people like living in Clemson. If you want a small town with some stuff going on, you can't beat Clemson. It does make sense to think about living there if you work at the university b/c I assume many of your collegues do. A lot of people retire in Clemson too. If just depends on if you are ok with having to drive over to Andreson and Greenville from time to time for more dining, shopping, entertainment options.

Central is adjacent to Clemson and that is really where you'll probably end up if you live there.
Here is a new neighborhood there that I checked out a year ago: Clemson, SC Real Estate: Property and Homes for Sale in Clemson
That is a really cool neighborhood, thanks for the link. Any idea what these homes sell for? I need a 4+ bedroom home, ideally 3 baths. Being close to campus would be awesome. I live in a college town now that is cool, but between the taxes and the winters, it's driving me away quickly.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
That is a really cool neighborhood, thanks for the link. Any idea what these homes sell for? I need a 4+ bedroom home, ideally 3 baths. Being close to campus would be awesome. I live in a college town now that is cool, but between the taxes and the winters, it's driving me away quickly.
Hotsheet Property Results :: 1st Choice Realty

On this realtor's website, their listings range from 260 to 370.

There is another nice neighorhood over closer to "downtown" Central that I don't know the name of. Lot of professors live there.

Clemson has a nice campus and the Main Street is pretty fun spot to hangout. When school is in session is probably 4th most active downtown in the state. lol The back to school festivals downtown in August are great.

Have you ever been to Clemson?

Clemson has gotten a good number of new retaurants over the past 12 years or so like Mellow Mushroom, Mcalisters, IHOP. etc. It really used to have nothing but the standard fast food places and a few local places.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:32 PM

I haven't been to campus, hoping to get there soon. Glad to hear the downtown area is growing. College towns once they get a good reputation for diverse offerings seem to grow fairly quickly, and housing costs can go up too. Still seems affordable to me.

Are there good realtors/firms in the area you'd recommend? And if one realtor does Clemson area, are they likely to know Easley or N. Anderson area too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area