U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 AM

474 posts, read 430,159 times

Advertisements

I was a little late hanging our feeders this year, but the first hummingbird showed up within a couple of hours. We usually have a crowd of about 5-6 pair that keep the stations busy all day. My next door neighbor has counted up to 15 birds using her feeders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 AM

190 posts, read 183,140 times
They've been flying around north of Belton since late March. They actually showed up earlier than we expected this year, so when they first showed up, we didn't even have any feeders out yet.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:01 PM

474 posts, read 430,159 times
For a couple of years we had one male hummingbird that pecked on the sliding glass door, if the feeder wasn't to his liking. We first thought he was fighting with his reflection, until we noticed a pattern emerging. He would hover patiently as we refilled the feeder and then waited nearby until it was rehung. He got a bit overly excited once and flew inside the house, as I opened the door. Chaos ensued, until he landed in the shower where I was finally able to gently capture him and then release him back outside. That bird was completely fearless, even attacking our large tom cat if he ventured to close to the feeders.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:26 PM

4,561 posts, read 5,871,401 times
Default Hummingbird Update, and Documentary

I finally got hummingbirds!!! I have 4-5, hard to tell since they fly around so fast. There is one female who has become very territorial and fights off the other birds and have thus named her Big Bad Bertha. I have 6 feeders in my front yard, one on each side of my house and one in the backyard. I know, it's overkill, but I'm hoping next year there will be more, and besides, I've accumulated them over the past couple years from thrift stores in hopes of getting hummers to come to my yard

I just found this wonderful hummingbird documentary that I wanted to share with y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iczKc8aNTU

Old 08-24-2016, 11:21 AM

9 posts, read 8,011 times
I am in Spartanburg, and have about 3-4 hummers that fight and divebomb each other over the feeder all day

They came late this year, compared to last year. But once they get here, they visit very frequently

The earlier you can put the feeders out, the better! More feeders is always a plus . I once heard that if you put out feeders consistently each year, the hummers will find you and return to your feeders

For anybody interested, the best nectar solution is 4 parts water to 1 part sugar. So 1/4 cup of sugar for every cup of water

The hummers won't be around for too much longer. It's about time for them to start migrating

Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 PM

5,205 posts, read 7,526,631 times
Mo feeders, mo hummers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4m8fGTMXHI

Our neighbors on either side have feeders out, so we get the occasional hummingbird buzzing around our plants. Saw two yesterday.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:03 PM

3,299 posts, read 1,731,257 times
Here in CO our big migration has come and gone. At one point we were refilling 3 feeders twice a day and they swarmed like bees; it was hilarious watching the aggressive males trying to claim & defend feeders. Now we're down to just a handful.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:56 PM

4,561 posts, read 5,871,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Mo feeders, mo hummers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4m8fGTMXHI

Our neighbors on either side have feeders out, so we get the occasional hummingbird buzzing around our plants. Saw two yesterday.
OMG! That video is amazing. I'd give anything to have that many hummers in my yard. I have to admit, I bought another one today

I will be feeder ready to roll next year!!! I just need to find some cheap shepherds hooks now!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 AM

93 posts, read 187,011 times
They usually show up here around June- July. We live in the Five Forks area. We have several fighting and chasing each other around.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:10 PM

1,739 posts, read 810,921 times
We have three or four birds using our single feeder coming and going mainly in the mornings and evenings. Wonder how long they will stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area