U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 10:57 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,882,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
We have three or four birds using our single feeder coming and going mainly in the mornings and evenings. Wonder how long they will stay here.

I have a few more than that. I read that usually they're gone by Oct 15th. I will keep a few feeders up for stragglers, or until it starts to freeze. They are probably on their way south. My friends had 50-60 of them one day and next 75% were gone. I had an increase in them a couple weeks ago too.

http://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hum...migration.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 08:07 AM

506 posts, read 1,003,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I have been wondering the same thing; put out my feeder, change the nectar everyday, planted fuschias and baskets of plants they are supposed to love, and have yet to see a hummingbird here! We had lots in Raleigh.
I don't know when my wife puts feeders out but we have tons of hummingbirds in our yard when she does - they actually fight over the feeders. I'll have to ask her when the best time is to put them out.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:53 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,659,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
I don't know when my wife puts feeders out but we have tons of hummingbirds in our yard when she does - they actually fight over the feeders. I'll have to ask her when the best time is to put them out.
I posted this I think when I had just moved here; we have had plenty of hummers the last couple of years! They seem to be gone now.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:05 PM

1,743 posts, read 814,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I posted this I think when I had just moved here; we have had plenty of hummers the last couple of years! They seem to be gone now.
Haven't seen one in the past couple of days

Old 10-12-2016, 06:48 PM

Just checking what's on tonight (10/12) and noticed this:

Nature

Super Hummingbirds8:00 PM on PBS, 1 hr 2016 TV-PG

An examination of hummingbirds, which possess the ability to fly backwards, upside-down and even "tread" air. Included: How they drink a flower's nectar; why they thrive at high altitudes; and how they mate, lay eggs, fight and raise families.
Find more about Nature

Hopefully, they will repeat this on a later date for those who are seeing this too late. I will be glued to the tv for the next hour!!!!

Old 10-13-2016, 01:57 PM

1,743 posts, read 814,207 times
It is available for online viewing till 11/12/16

Super Hummingbirds | Full Episode | Nature | PBS

Old 10-13-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
It is available for online viewing till 11/12/16

Super Hummingbirds | Full Episode | Nature | PBS
Thanks for finding that. It was absolutely wonderful. I hope you, and others, get to see it. If you like hummingbirds, it's a MUST SEE! They filmed things never seen before with hummingbirds!

Saw one hummer this morning at the feeder. I've named him Mr T. as it seems to have a little Mohawk on top. Most have now gone south for the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area