U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 01:23 PM

4,535 posts, read 5,824,443 times

Advertisements

Each year I have good intentions of putting out hummingbird feeders to attract hummingbirds, but never really know when is the right time, forget about doing it, and never do it. I don't think I've seen but maybe one or two around as it is, not that there is anything to attract them to other than my butterfly attracting plants, possibly...??? I'm good with butterflys being lured to my yard...waiting for them to arrive.

Can any one tell me if they find an abundance of hummingbirds in the upstate area, and if and when they put out feeders for them? I have tons of sugar waiting to make nectar for them, just need to get on the ball.

TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,638,574 times
I have been wondering the same thing; put out my feeder, change the nectar everyday, planted fuschias and baskets of plants they are supposed to love, and have yet to see a hummingbird here! We had lots in Raleigh.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 PM

190 posts, read 181,277 times
My parents have had "their" resident ruby-throated hummingbird back this year for the past ~2 weeks. They've seen 2 at once this year, so far, but it's been a late start compared to the years past. Last year, at many points, they had up to 11 hummingbirds at their feeders. My mom was having to make the nectar every other day for their 3 feeders throughout the season.

And please, for anyone who DOES decide to put up a feeder, don't use the dyed red garbage they sell commercially. The hummingbirds will find the un-dyed stuff just fine, and it won't hurt them, for sure.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 PM

49 posts, read 68,573 times
I finally got some at the end of last year, and started watching and preparing in February this year! My feeder was full and hung in early March.

According to some of the reports, people started seeing hummingbirds around here in the 3rd week of March, but I didn't get my first one until the first week of April. He's since moved on and I just got a new one last week! So far I've just seen one, but fingers are crossed for more!

I'd get your feeder out there and keep the nectar fresh (replace whenever it starts to get cloudy). If you can place it near other bright flowers, they'll find it!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,638,574 times
I want to report that my hummingbird feeder is now in use several times as day! For those who have feeeders, in this hot weather please remember to keep it cleaned and the nectar changed often. Mine is in the sun most of the day so I clean and refill it every two days.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,263,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
in this hot weather please remember to keep it cleaned and the nectar changed often. Mine is in the sun most of the day so I clean and refill it every two days.
If you don't do this regularly, you can make the little guys sick or even kill them ... bacteria love sugar-water, too.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 PM

469 posts, read 424,034 times
Noticed traffic around our feeder today as well. Looked to be about 6 birds trying to figure out a pecking order. Lots of dive bombing going on. The little devils are are fearless and surprisingly curious. Nothing quite compares to having a flying needle hovering 6 inches off your nose tip.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,002 times
I have just put my feeders out today and maybe a little later than I should have. You sort of collect hummingbirds. They come back to my place year after year. When I first started feeding them I didn't have many. Last year there was not much time that went by that a hummingbird was not near my 3 feeders. So fun to see them. They aren't scared of you and hearing them whiz by is fabulous. Worth the little bit of extra work in maintaining the feeders.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:11 PM

4,535 posts, read 5,824,443 times
I put out 2 feeders this year, but not a thing except a dead ant that got in to one. Has anyone seen any hummingbirds flying around, or at their feeders? I changed out the nectar, but just keep throwing it out. Wondering if they have been sited around yet. I know my friends up in NC near Brevard have them there already.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:24 AM

2,634 posts, read 1,738,464 times
Saw mine last week and haven't seen them since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area