Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 14,000 times

Advertisements

I was originally planning to move to Charlotte, NC, however I happened to find Greenville, SC. I visited and fell in love with the town. However, I only got to visit for a short time, so I would like to know what it's really like to live there. I am 21 year old female and would be moving by myself from Maryland. I already have a job offer, so that would not be a problem. I would also be planning to go to Greenville Tech in the spring for nursing. I would love any info possible! Also a few questions:

-Are there a lot of people my age (21) and what does this age group usually go out and do?
-What are the best places to meet people?
-What kind of activities/events are there?
-What are the people there generally like? friendly? outgoing? etc.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:39 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
It's a wonderful place to live, I think you would really like it here. I live in Taylors which is between Greer and Greenville and I'm surrounded by mountain views but close enough to Greer to be able to get to shopping within 10 minutes. If you like city living then Greenville is a nice balance, not too big but big enough to be able to find lots of stuff to do. I don't know if you visited Falls Park while you were here but it's a beautiful park in the heart of downtown Greenville with shopping and restaurants all around. Sorry I don't exactly know what someone your age would find interesting to do but there are plenty of bars and restaurants, especially downtown.

There is also the Peace Center downtown Greenville where they have wonderful shows, plays and different venues of entertainment, Fall for Greenville festival every year, art shows, hot-air balloon festival nearby, Greek festival etc. and on Thursday evenings they have downtown alive with food, music and entertainment, which would be a great way to get out and meet people.

As far as the people.....we're mostly very friendly and helpful, but there's always the bad apples no matter where you go. You will find that in the city the people are really great, country life might be a little more challenging. Years ago I went into the Nursing program at Greenville Tech, it's a great college and program so I think you will like that and I wish you the best in school.

I have a 24 year old son I could introduce you to, he would know more about where to go and what to do for someone your age. Maybe another visit is in order before you make your decision? Greenville and Greer are both growing so you shouldn't have much trouble getting out and finding whatever it is you're looking for. It will be a major culture shock since you're coming from Maryland but with a little time and patience I think you could adjust quite well. Good luck to you!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:43 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Also make sure to check Meetup.com for local groups.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:36 AM

477 posts, read 841,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
If you like city living then Greenville is a nice balance, not too big but big enough to be able to find lots of stuff to do.
I guess it depends on what you consider "city". I am from a 3+ million people city and Greenville is not really what I consider a city. New York, Boston, Atlanta are cities.

Regardless, Greenville is not a bad place at all. You can live a decent life here.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:55 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
I guess it depends on what you consider "city". I am from a 3+ million people city and Greenville is not really what I consider a city. New York, Boston, Atlanta are cities.

Regardless, Greenville is not a bad place at all. You can live a decent life here.
It's all subjective. Most cities aren't big as those you just mentioned, they are top 10 metros. Depending on where the op is from, this could be a city or a small town.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:14 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcarolinabound456 View Post
I was originally planning to move to Charlotte, NC, however I happened to find Greenville, SC. I visited and fell in love with the town. However, I only got to visit for a short time, so I would like to know what it's really like to live there. I am 21 year old female and would be moving by myself from Maryland. I already have a job offer, so that would not be a problem. I would also be planning to go to Greenville Tech in the spring for nursing. I would love any info possible! Also a few questions:

-Are there a lot of people my age (21) and what does this age group usually go out and do?
-What are the best places to meet people?
-What kind of activities/events are there?
-What are the people there generally like? friendly? outgoing? etc.

Thank you!

-Sure. When I was 21, I studied a lot, worked some in the summers, and went to parties with friends from college, bars, concerts.
-Churches, bars, volunteering, downtown has live music in the summers
-Lots of festivals downtown, baseball games, lots of churches with great music, nice parks to walk/run/bike in.
-Its a mix. Greenville's days as a country backwater with "smiling faces" everywhere are behind it. You'll find friendly people in friendly places (the mall, shopping, restaurants) and you will see our bad side out on the roads where traffic and terrible roads jostle our last nerve every day.

Welcome and hope you like it. I know you will.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 PM

57 posts, read 76,494 times
Greenville is quickly becoming a place many young professionals are moving to in the region. In South Carolina, Greenville and Charleston probably attract the largest amount of young professionals looking to start careers. Greenville has a great downtown with a fun nightlife and lots of outdoor recreational activities. I've never actually lived in Greenville but went to school in Clemson down the road. Many Clemson students would make weekend trips to Greenville for fun especially during the summer. Greenville also has Furman University. There is a large crowd of mid 20s-mid 30s moving to Greenville that are from other areas. I'm not from the area but fell in love with Greenville as well and plan to move there as soon as I finish my medical residency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area