U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 06:07 AM

30 posts, read 63,420 times

Advertisements

We are facing a possible relocation to the area this summer. The job we are relocating for is in Seneca. Currently live in Charlotte area. MUST commute to Greenville at least twice a week which has us thinking about Anderson. Have two kids (ages 7 and 11), good school district is another MUST (hovering around the Wren cluster of schools). Here's what we want/need and would love some constructive hometown advice on:

1. Family friendly golf course community with amenities (definitely a community pool).
2. Housing range of 400-650K.
3. Access to shopping/restaurants (within 20 minutes).
4. Like to keep to a 40 minute commute to Seneca.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 06:32 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,528,956 times
I'd split the difference and live in either the Clemson or Powdersville/Piedmont areas. Anderson is not exactly between Seneca and Greenville. Honestly, I'd probably just live in Clemson, esp if you need to travel to Greenville only twice weekly. Clemson has a great high school. I think the new Publix shopping center (Gateway Village) is finished in Clemson (this really improves the quality of life there). I see that Clemson also has a Cook Out now. Clemson to Haywood Mall is a 40 min drive one-way.

Seneca is great (I used to live there) - especially if one lives on Lake Keowee. Lake Keowee is amazing. However, I just don't know enough re the public schools in Oconee County.

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-07-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 07:25 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,832,041 times
If you just must have a golf course community, that will severely limit your options and probably require compromise on something else on your list.

Seneca has several golf course communities along Lake Keowee (Cliffs, Keowee Key). I think that most of those communities, though, are predominantly retirees. There is a fair amount of shopping in Seneca but the few things you can't get in Seneca will require a ~35 minute drive to the mall in Anderson or a ~55 minute drive to the mall in Greenville. Schools in Seneca are okay but not anything spectacular.

To my knowledge, there are not any golf course communities in the Clemson / Central area. There is a golf course on Lake Hartwell in Clemson (walker Course) but no golf communities. Clemson has basic shopping covered with grocery stores, restaurants, and a Lowes. Driving to Anderson will be ~25 minutes and the mall in Greenville ~45 minutes - still a bit of a drive but not that bad. A lot of the shopping is on the north side of Anderson so for many things it would be 15-20 minutes. Schools in Clemson / Central are good.

The Wren / Powdersville area will be pushing the limits of your 40 minute commute. There are lots of pool communities in that area but I don't know of any golf course communities (except one I'll mention separately). There is a golf course (Southern Oaks) with several subdivisions right around it but it isn't integrated with any of them. Schools there are good. Powdersville has basic shopping and Easley is 5-10 minutes and has more shopping. Which mall will be closest will depend on where you are in that area but either the Anderson Mall or Haywood will be 20-25 minutes away.

There is ONE golf community I know of in that general area. After living previously in a golf community full of nosy retirees, we quickly crossed it off our list. Brookstone Meadows is on the Northeast side of Anderson. It would be ~35 minutes to Seneca. It would be super convenient to shopping in Anderson (15 minutes to the mall and less to other stuff). Despite being closer to Hanna high school (also a good school), it is zoned for Wren. I seem to recall that some parts of this subdivision had really high HOA and maintenance fees. I also seem to remember that the original developer went bust and the newer homes are being built by Horton. That would mean that the older construction might be the best quality homes out there. Again, I don't know much about it because we crossed it off our list early on.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
I forgot that Seneca has one fantastic (in town) golf community - Cross Creek Plantation - I've been to several functions there - great facilities - they current have homes for sale up to 650K. They have golf, tennis, swimming, and private dining. Unfortunately, CCP has no direct access to Lake Keowee.

Of course, Seneca also has the gigantic Keowee Key (as mentioned above) - almost bought in that area - it looks like they are trying to become more family friendly (but, it's mainly retirees from the mid-west and northeast) - great amenities with 18 hole golf course, multiple pools (indoor too), dining, trails, dog park, fitness center, and park/beaches on Lake Keowee.

Again, I just don't know enough about Oconee County schools to comment.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:09 AM

30 posts, read 63,420 times
Thank you! You've given me a clearer picture of what I should be focusing on.

Golf Course living is definitely not a deal breaker and is more my husband's wish rather than a necessary reality (we've lived on a golf course before and while it was lovely, I didn't care for my house being hit). We were actually really familiar with the area 20+ years ago, but I know how quickly things change. A good mid-point between Seneca and Greenville with a family oriented community with great schools is the main focus for me. (Hubby can drive to whatever golf course he chooses as far as I'm concerned.) I've heard about Brookstone Meadows and we actually knew someone who used to live in Cross Creek Plantation, but I wasn't sure if this was a more "retired" kind of area. Hubby mentioned The Cliffs too as they were building that the last time we visited, but I know nothing about it. Looking at the website, it looks more of a retirement community. Living on the lakes would be great for our kids, but we're not exactly boaters, and I worry about the community feel around the lakes. I didn't realize that Clemson may be an option for us because I just assumed it was "all college...all the time", so I'll have to take a peek at what's out there too.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:17 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,832,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooziesue View Post
I didn't realize that Clemson may be an option for us because I just assumed it was "all college...all the time", so I'll have to take a peek at what's out there too.
The faculty has to live somewhere. Lots of faculty live in Clemson, Central, and Northern Anderson. Quite a few in the Wren / Powdersville area as well where one spouse works at Clemson and the other works in Greenville.

If I worked in Seneca, I'd give the area around Clemson strong consideration.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:12 PM

A few more comments:

Lake Keowee has dozens of lake communities/subdivisions filled with families - we lived in one (although we didn't live directly on the lake - couldn't afford it - we only had a "winter lake view" LOL) - Lake Keowee is pristine and fantastic for boating/sailing/any lake activities. Homesites with direct lake access are $$$.

Although a small "city", Clemson is more than just the university - additionally, the university presence makes it more "progressive" than most SC cities.

Cross Creek Plantation is much more diverse than Keowee Key - again, it just doesn't have access to Lake Keowee (big negative for some).

Avoid any Cliffs communities - these are remote/rural with nearly all retirees/out of state residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or