U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 AM

8,144 posts, read 6,002,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I've been meaning to try the one further down Woodruff but as much as I love Korean food, I hate Woodruff Road traffic. Would love to hear some reviews on the newer Korean place.
I'm not expert on authentic Korean food, however.. My stepmother is Korean and we went to Kimchee (That's the name of the new restaurant) while she was down a little over a month ago.. She was quite impressed with it. My dad and her went with the Bibimbop and stone bibimbop.. I had some form of spicy squid/seafood plate which was quite good.

It's a small place and I will say to stay away from the sweet tea, it was horrible.. But the food was good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 PM

73 posts, read 80,040 times
Thanks for the recommendation of Kimchee. Like you, I'm not an expert, but I really liked Korean BBQ. Now I'm eager to try this new restaurant, especially with your Korean step mother's approval. I have been asking local Chinese people about a good Chinese restaurant in town and so far I have been told that there isn't any.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:12 PM

5,328 posts, read 5,221,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
One family owned restaurant we tried which wasn't bad was Lil Rebels in Taylors. The portions were generous and the food was good. Nothing fancy but a good country cooked meal.

We like Pizza City for pizza.
Gotta disagree with the Lil Rebels comment; it's all poor quality processed junk, plus the food is really bland. Once they started advertising fried bologna sandwiches, my opinion had been validated.

Anyway, my vote is for Tropical Grill; great tasting, healthy Cuban fare.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:16 PM

5,328 posts, read 5,221,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Korean BBQ - are you talking about the place behind Red Robin or the newer Korean Restaurant further down Woodruff? The one behind Red Robin has pretty authentic Korean Fare, particularly for Greenville. Love the Tweji Bulgogi (Spicy Pork BBQ) and all the different Banchan (side dishes) they have there. They are a bit on the pricey side but the food is really good.

I've been meaning to try the one further down Woodruff but as much as I love Korean food, I hate Woodruff Road traffic. Would love to hear some reviews on the newer Korean place.
That one is called Kimchi

Old 06-11-2014, 05:24 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,989,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Just got a chance to try Tropical Grill - I'm hooked now also.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:22 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,954,885 times
Another vote for Mekong on Wade Hampton. Super fresh and authentic; lots of fresh herbs and rich, light flavors.

I really love the Mexican food at Guacamole on Wade Hampton in Greer, near where Main street comes out. Everything there is fresh and full of flavor. Its not your typical Mexican food where every dish is a different combo of the same pile of lettuce with cheese and beans. This place has "California style" Mexican. They also have a cold bar filled with about 10 types of different sauces and salsas. Their grilled veggie, and shrimp enchiladas are excellent.

The atmosphere is both places is just O.K, but the food is worth going back for over and over.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:36 PM

667 posts, read 844,274 times
Quote:
Yes, my vote, too. VERY good!

Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 PM

9 posts, read 8,437 times
Quote:
Gotta disagree with the Lil Rebels comment; it's all poor quality processed junk, plus the food is really bland. Once they started advertising fried bologna sandwiches, my opinion had been validated.

So, fried bologna sandwiches aren't your cup of tea; however, the fact that a restaurant has them doesn't automatically qualify that restaurant as poor quality, so your opinion is hardly validated. People have different tastes and opinions on what they like.

Personally, I think that Lil' Rebel is average...not great but not bad, just as many of the area Greek-owned burger places are, i.e. the various Clocks, Pete's, etc. I'm not expecting fine dining when I go to places like that; I'm looking for a chili-cheeseburger and fries.

Last edited by Danimal174; 07-17-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 04:00 PM

9 posts, read 8,437 times
Some of my favorites -

Thai - Lemongrass is my top choice; delicious food, although parking downtown can be a pain

Italian - Dellaventura's in Greer is probably the best Italian restaurant in the upstate that I've found

Pizza - This one's tough, as I love pizza, and there are quite a few good local places. Pizza City and Tito's on N. Pleasantburg, Two Guy's Pizza in Simpsonville, and Frodo's come to mind, along with the aforementioned Dellaventura's.

Mexican - I have two choices here; for inexpensive, quick, tasty tacos, I go with Taco Casa. If I want to spend a little more, I bypass all of the Monterrey's, etc. and go with Sabroso's on Woodruff Rd.

Steakhouse - Although it may not be some people's cup of tea, I enjoy going to The Peddler on Poinsett Hwy. The steaks are consistently good, their salad bar is very good, and the staff is always friendly. (I know that The Peddler has multiple locations in other cities, however, so I don't know if that qualifies it as a chain or not.)

Chinese - My two favorites are Lieu's and Oriental House, both on Woodruff Rd.

Barbecue - Although it's not really in Greenville, Green River BBQ in Saluda, NC is fantastic! I highly recommend them if you're looking for pulled pork, brisket, or smoked turkey. My choices in town are Henry's (the Wade Hampton location, as I've found the other ones to not be as good) and Tom's on Woodruff Rd.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal174 View Post
Some of my favorites -

Italian - Dellaventura's in Greer is probably the best Italian restaurant in the upstate that I've found

We just love Della's, too, and have become very friendly with the owners, Joe and Diane (transplanted New Yorkers). Della's is the best pizza in the Greer/Greenville/S'burg area, imo. But my son, husband and I have to say that there is an even better pizza place called Side Street Pizza in Tryon, NC. We go there at least once a month. About a 30 min. drive from the Duncan/Moore area. It's the best pizza we've ever had...anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area