U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 9,879 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Wow what a cool forum - glad I found it!
We are looking at moving to the Greenville area from Michigan. We have relatives in Simpsonville and looking to be within a reasonable driving distance to them.

We are looking for a house in a newer subdivision and it seems like the areas of Simpsonville, Greer and Duncan have a lot to choose from. Outside of that, we really love running and I know that Greenville has a nice 18 mile running trail, but do any of these other areas that I mention have that? Also, can someone speak to the quality of schools in any of those areas or recommend others? We are actually coming down next weekend to drive around and get a better idea of the overall area that we might like to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 03:01 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,639,280 times
The Swamp Rabbit Trail is awesome; there is nothing else like it in the area, and many of the neighborhoods do not have sidewalks. I will tell you that about half of my neighborhood is composed of folks from Michigan and other parts of the midwest, so you will not be lonely.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 PM

11,469 posts, read 25,695,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw072979 View Post
Hello,
Wow what a cool forum - glad I found it!
We are looking at moving to the Greenville area from Michigan. We have relatives in Simpsonville and looking to be within a reasonable driving distance to them.

We are looking for a house in a newer subdivision and it seems like the areas of Simpsonville, Greer and Duncan have a lot to choose from. Outside of that, we really love running and I know that Greenville has a nice 18 mile running trail, but do any of these other areas that I mention have that? Also, can someone speak to the quality of schools in any of those areas or recommend others? We are actually coming down next weekend to drive around and get a better idea of the overall area that we might like to live in.
Hi there,

You may get addicted to city-data if you're not careful. LOL It is a great forum and it has tons of info.

There are plenty subdivisons with new homes. Do you know where you'll be working? It helps to live close to work and so posters can give suggestions.

I'm kind of new to the area so know limited info but welcome to Greenville. You're going to love the weather compared to Michigan

Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 PM

667 posts, read 844,274 times
Hi. I moved here from Ypsi in 1997 (though I was in Michigan only a short time) and love my choice. From your OP I have to think that you are leaning toward suburban life rather than in-town. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Please note that, when you say you have relatives in "Simpsonville," that could mean either the City of Simpsonville or it could mean the Simpsonville postal mailing area, which is a much broader area (29680-29601). Without giving away the exact location, can you shed any light on the general area in which they live? Also, our responses might depend upon where you will be working and to which you would be commuting. Traffic patterns, you know.

That said, I would generally suggest that you want to be on the east side of Greenville, even though that comes with traffic issues, since the east side is the fastest growing part of the greater Greenville area. On the other hand, if you won't want to be TOO close to the family, you may want to look toward the lakes northwest of Greenville, e.g., Lake Keowee, where the views are sweet but you have to travel a distance to get to the amenities and nightlife of Greenville itself. Does that make sense?

By the way, east side schools are generally better than others, as far as I can tell, but there are exceptions. You haven't given us any criteria.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:06 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,832,041 times
Similar recent thread with some good school info: need greenville relocation help

I think Duncan is Byrnes High but I'm not sure.

What area do you think you are going to work in - that may be an important factor in where you want to live.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 PM

6 posts, read 9,879 times
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, I'm sure that "Simpsonville" covers a large area. Specifically, and I am looking at a map so I hope this makes sense - they are near 14 and Pollard Rd or 14 and 417 (are these road names? LOL).

The town I currently live in has a small town feel to it but we are near big towns. We have a downtown that is very small and offers community type events (we have young kids), and I really like that. We also have a very walkable community - I can walk from my current subdivision out to the main roads and there is the grocery store. I would like to live very close to these ammenities. Being close to running trais is important too. It seemed like in my research, that Greer may be the worst for that. Obviously being right in the city would be good because of the Swamp Rabbit trail, but if we ended up in one of the smaller cities outside of Greenville, I would hope we would have some option (for example - a park a few miles away with a 2 mile loop or something like that??).

Luckily, I will be working from home, so I will not have the commute. My husband, on the other hand, is currently looking for work and so far, he has been called by companies in Greer and Spartanburg. It seems like a lot of the jobs are in those areas that he is interested in.

Thank you for the post on the schools!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,832,041 times
This area really doesn't have many "walkable" communities. The long term plans for the Verdae development call for a spur of the Swamp Rabbit trail and a shopping center integrated into the housing in that area. The problem is it is hard to know how far off those plans may be from reality or if they will be executed according to the plan.

There are a number of developments in the area with community pools and a few that include walking trails as part of the neighborhood.

There are some parks in the area with walking trails but not as many as you would probably like. There is Heritage Park in Simpsonville that has some walking trails. The Swamp Rabbit Trail has a bunch of sections but the residential sections of the current trail are through downtown or North of downtown, which wouldn't be very convenient for commuting to Greer or Spartanburg.

The Palmetto Trail is supposed to eventually wind from the mountains to the ocean and goes through Spartanburg. It is only partially completed but some of the Spartanburg sections might meet your needs. I don't know much about Spartanburg schools other than Spartanburg is split into multiple districts and the quality of the schools varies a lot from school to school.

I think the area will have what you are looking for in the near future but might not be quite there yet. You will probably need to compromise on a few things. One thing that is great is there are tons of state parks and natural areas very convenient for weekend activities (an hour or so drive). I walk around the neighborhood in the evenings during the week (our neighborhood is a 1 mile loop, 2.5 miles if you walk the adjoining neighborhood) and get my true outdoor fix on the weekends.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:32 PM

469 posts, read 424,354 times
MW
Everyone talks about the crowded traffic patterns and definitely they can be a problem, during peak periods, like daily commutes. That being said, even at its worst, I've fought harder traffic battles in Charlotte or Atlanta. Once the rush is over, this town is a breeze to navigate. On a weekday lunch hour I can drive from the East Side, all the way across town in 30 minutes. On a Sunday morning, I can run the same route in 15 minutes or less.

There are some high traffic areas, especially at certain choke points but you'll find alternate routes in no time, once you're here. Taylors and Greer are almost co-joined these days and share a small town feel that I find appealing. Taylors places me conveniently close to just about anything I need, with a only a short drive. Lyman and Duncan are very small town... which is not a negative. Duncan is served by Byrnes High and has a pretty decent reputation.

Judging from the way you describe your preferences, I'd also suggest taking a good look at Travlers Rest or Marietta. It's Small town but its coming out of it's hibernation with some pretty nice amenities. Marietta is right on the end of the Swamp Rabbit and teh trail runs right through T.R. You're 30 - 40 minutes to Simpsonville and less than 15 minutes from breath taking mountain views. There is a county park nearby on Hwy 11 for hiking, fishing and camping or Caesars Head and Pretty Place or even the Table Rock park are just a short few mile up the road.

Many new comers miss the the area that sits between 5 Forks, Hwy 101 and I-85. It's strictly rural, but some careful shopping could net you far more value that you might imagine.

A tip... don't try to buy before you get here. Go exploring. Get a feel for things so that you can make better decisions concerning what area best fits your style and your unique needs.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:45 PM

141 posts, read 185,889 times
OP, welcome! DEFINITELY agree that you should rent for a time first, while getting to know the area. A pain, sure, to move twice, but well worth it in figuring out where you'd like to be in the long term. There's a LOT of choices, neighborhoods, areas around here! Tons of new construction.

Truly walkable/runnable communities are not common, sadly. Besides amazing downtown Greenville and the Swamp Rabbit Trail (which is what you're referencing), sidewalks and connected areas to safely walk/run can be pretty hard to come by. That's been one of my biggest adjustments in moving here from the midwest.

I know the area of Simpsonville you're talking about. It's State Hwy 14. That's not far from where my inlaws live.

As a suggestion, look into the general Mauldin area. Not far from Simpsonville, generally reasonably priced, and kind of "in the middle" between S'ville and Greenville/downtown. It's a great location that way.

Good luck in your search!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,123,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw072979 View Post
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, I'm sure that "Simpsonville" covers a large area. Specifically, and I am looking at a map so I hope this makes sense - they are near 14 and Pollard Rd or 14 and 417 (are these road names? LOL).

The town I currently live in has a small town feel to it but we are near big towns. We have a downtown that is very small and offers community type events (we have young kids), and I really like that. We also have a very walkable community - I can walk from my current subdivision out to the main roads and there is the grocery store. I would like to live very close to these ammenities. Being close to running trais is important too. It seemed like in my research, that Greer may be the worst for that. Obviously being right in the city would be good because of the Swamp Rabbit trail, but if we ended up in one of the smaller cities outside of Greenville, I would hope we would have some option (for example - a park a few miles away with a 2 mile loop or something like that??).

Luckily, I will be working from home, so I will not have the commute. My husband, on the other hand, is currently looking for work and so far, he has been called by companies in Greer and Spartanburg. It seems like a lot of the jobs are in those areas that he is interested in.

Thank you for the post on the schools!
That's very near downtown Simpsonville. Mauldin is the next town north at 417 and 276. These numbers represent State Highways (not to be confused with interstate roads).

You will find few sidewalks in much of this area. Mauldin has a nice walking track at Sunset Park which I believe is a mile around. Eventually if not already, the Swamp Rabbit Trail will link to Conestee Park which is nearby to Mauldin. Mauldin High is a very good school. Our 2nd born is there now and we wouldn't have it any other way. There are few areas in Mauldin, however, where you will be able to walk to shopping. We need cars to get everywhere we go even though the Greenville Transit has a route that goes through the center of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or