U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2014, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,443 posts, read 5,340,098 times
Reputation: 2432

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
I don't even live in SC anymore, but I still come to this subforum, because I lived in the area for seven years, still have in-law's in the area, and still own property in Easley. I have noticed that in the last few months we went from talking about actual developments to probably 97% speculation and dreaming about everything (thanks to one poster, obviously). It's become pretty pathetic. I really enjoyed this forum before. What can we do? Really, I would like to know what can we actually do to get it back to being as interesting and informative as it was before without all the excess wishlisting?

I agree. I read this forum every day and it's become a huge pile of worthless threads with the same 15 posts over and over again. I open them to mark them as read, and then promptly close them without even looking to see what's in them.

Like some others, I actually suspect that this is the intent of the poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2014, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Upstate
5,493 posts, read 6,215,609 times
Reputation: 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisbest View Post
Is this really worth complaining about? Nobody forces you to read his threads. Yet , you do.

He could have some issues and you are ridiculing him.

Nobody stopping you from posting your self described insightfull comments. I am now prepared to be blown away by your insights. Woodruff road traffic sucks. Roads suck. A new hotel in downtown. Etc
Troll much?

I don't think there is any reason not to expect a uniform and informative sub-forum for the wonderful city we live in. Lots of people come here looking for insightful information about Greenville/Spartanburg other than fast food places. We would just like to keep the forum neat and orderly and keep all fantasy fast food places in one thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,064 posts, read 19,940,759 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I agree. I read this forum every day and it's become a huge pile of worthless threads with the same 15 posts over and over again. I open them to mark them as read, and then promptly close them without even looking to see what's in them.

Like some others, I actually suspect that this is the intent of the poster.
I agree. This is why I think that forum member should be banned once and for all. It's clear the suspension wasn't enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
81 posts, read 164,600 times
Reputation: 43
His own thread? Maybe. But there are still 4 threads on the front page started by ATL and another 9 threads where he is the last to comment. Without even reviewing the posts I'm assured they are about opening a Popeyes or a BQQ (whatever that is).

For all the people defending this person there are 10 who would simply prefer all the repetitive content contained to one thread.

I'm not here to hate on anyone on this forum but saying the same thing over and over with the same idea is not offering insight.

My humble opinion is the content and discussion was better a few months ago and had gone downhill recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 02:30 PM
 
2,049 posts, read 1,833,749 times
Reputation: 1504
He actually has quite a few fans. If posting here makes the guy happy, I don't see the big deal. It would be nice to keep most of it confined to one thread so those that want to participate in the discussion can participate without cluttering up the forum with a bunch of threads on pretty much the same topic. That would cause the least complaints and give the guy the best chance of being able to participate long term. If he continues posting to 10-15 threads multiple times per day, people will keep complaining to the mods and he will eventually get banned (I've never reported him, for the record).

I would also agree that his posts are quite refreshing compared to people that turn everything into a political argument, get banned, create a new account, and then do the same thing ad nauseum......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 02:46 PM
 
1,445 posts, read 1,990,494 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
It would be nice to keep most of it confined to one thread so those that want to participate in the discussion can participate without cluttering up the forum with a bunch of threads on pretty much the same topic. That would cause the least complaints and give the guy the best chance of being able to participate long term. If he continues posting to 10-15 threads multiple times per day, people will keep complaining to the mods and he will eventually get banned (I've never reported him, for the record).
I also have no objection to a single thread and have never reported him either. But so far he is unable to confine his suggestions to the one thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I would also agree that his posts are quite refreshing compared to people that turn everything into a political argument, get banned, create a new account, and then do the same thing ad nauseum......

I agree, but food for thought:
  1. We are unable to be the go-to outlet forum for all people of all personalities.
  2. The special poster occasionally lapses into a stream of perfect spelling and grammar.
  3. The special poster first appeared on C-D at the same time as the multiple personality poster first appeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 04:09 PM
 
8,156 posts, read 6,006,827 times
Reputation: 10564
The guy tends to annoy me with the consistency of what he does.. I won't say that I don't sit here screaming at my monitor when I see one of those posts, but.. All in all.. I got better things to be ticked off about.

So.. If we want to steer this conversation towards what people think this forum should be used for..

What is all the development across Church St from University Ridge?

I had to make several trips over to the hospital in the past month or so, and noticed all the work going on there, but never thought to ask about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,064 posts, read 19,940,759 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The guy tends to annoy me with the consistency of what he does.. I won't say that I don't sit here screaming at my monitor when I see one of those posts, but.. All in all.. I got better things to be ticked off about.

So.. If we want to steer this conversation towards what people think this forum should be used for..

What is all the development across Church St from University Ridge?

I had to make several trips over to the hospital in the past month or so, and noticed all the work going on there, but never thought to ask about it.
South Ridge - Greenville, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 05:49 PM
 
469 posts, read 424,670 times
Reputation: 862
The kid has been polite, upbeat and positive in every post I've seen. I can't say that about some of those trying to get rid of him. This "get off my lawn" attitude is a lot more annoying and distracting than anything Atl Fan has posted. Atl Fan is as welcome here as anyone, and more so than some. If he's that annoying to you, add him to your ignore list and you'll never see his posts. This isn't the Burger King Forum... you can't always have it your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2014, 06:25 PM
 
370 posts, read 403,480 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
The special poster first appeared on C-D at the same time as the multiple personality poster first appeared.
He has a social media presence outside of City-Data.

https://twitter.com/mikeddow
https://www.facebook.com/michael.dow.395?fref=nf
Michael Dow on Pinterest

I don't see any reason to doubt he is who he says he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top