U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-01-2015, 10:23 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,390 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Reputation: 4908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
I will have to give this one some more thought! Ingles #38 may be in its 3rd location, That side of Spartanburg, Fernwod Glendale, Hillcrest, has an interesting history. I remember Bi Lo picking up the Eastside Big Star ( Grand Union ) store for its 4th Spartanburg location
Would that Bi-Lo be store 5519, Fernwood Plaza, 140 Fernwood Drive, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29307-2200?

Ingle's Markets #38 may be up for a rebuild in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 PM
 
855 posts, read 568,436 times
Reputation: 863
[quote=Carolina Knight;40658805]Would that Bi-Lo be store 5519, Fernwood Plaza, 140 Fernwood Drive, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29307-2200?

Thats the one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 10:45 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,390 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Reputation: 4908
Default Bi-Lo #5519, Fernwood Plaza, 140 Fernwood Drive, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29307-2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
Would that Bi-Lo be store 5519, Fernwood Plaza, 140 Fernwood Drive, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29307-2200?

Thats the one.
I assume Bi-Lo #5519 replaced the former store on Clifton Glendale Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 11:06 PM
 
855 posts, read 568,436 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I assume Bi-Lo #5519 replaced the former store on Clifton Glendale Road.
The Bi lo store on Clifton Glendale / Fernwood Glendale was closed around '84. It looks like 5519 replaced the store originally built for Big Star, subsequently acquired by Bi Lo.

Ingles #38 on East Main replaced the store on Fernwood Glendale. I recall the east main being new construction in '84
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,390 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Reputation: 4908
Default Ingle's Markets #38, 2795 East Main Street, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29307-1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
The Bi lo store on Clifton Glendale / Fernwood Glendale was closed around '84. It looks like 5519 replaced the store originally built for Big Star, subsequently acquired by Bi Lo.

Ingles #38 on East Main replaced the store on Fernwood Glendale. I recall the east main being new construction in '84
The second store 38 was among Ingle's first stores with vestibules. Only one store I know of remains in operation: store 29, Moonville Plaza, 7616 Augusta Road, Piedmont, South Carolina 29673-9652. This old store is currently used for storage.

The third and current store 38 was constructed and opened around 1993 or 1994. It is currently the oldest Ingle's Markets store in Spartanburg County in operation.

I have not heard anything new in regards to the future of store 38. A new fourth store would be similar to new stores with pharmacy drive through and walk up window, fuel station and Starbucks. The existing store could be expanded or remodeled to include a pharmacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 06:43 AM
 
855 posts, read 568,436 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The second store 38 was among Ingle's first stores with vestibules. Only one store I know of remains in operation: store 29, Moonville Plaza, 7616 Augusta Road, Piedmont, South Carolina 29673-9652. This old store is currently used for storage.

The third and current store 38 was constructed and opened around 1993 or 1994. It is currently the oldest Ingle's Markets store in Spartanburg County in operation.

I have not heard anything new in regards to the future of store 38. A new fourth store would be similar to new stores with pharmacy drive through and walk up window, fuel station and Starbucks. The existing store could be expanded or remodeled to include a pharmacy.
The current Ingles #38 replaced the store next door, which replaced the one on Fernwood Glendale. I don't recall the reason for Ingles leaving Fernwood Glendale, but I recall thinking at the time that it was an odd decision, along with Bi Lo's decision to try and hold on to the underperforming store further down the road. I suspect Bi Los decision had a lot to do with their relationship with the REIT that built centers they were anchoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 06:55 AM
 
855 posts, read 568,436 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL fan View Post
I did not know Easley had a Food Lion also the empty building next to Honey Bake ham at the empty building I would like to see a , Jerry's Ice cream with Free WFI , SKY lights , free mints , free bottled water , weather center , Frist aid center , kids eat free on the weekends , free USA today , mice restrooms then there some 2 empty land near Kriapy Kreme this on Pleastburg at the empty land land at the 1st one I would like to see a , Levi's store at the 2rd one a , White Castle then there is some empty land near the Quick Trip same RD I would like to see a , Del taco
White Castle would be a neat addition as would Del Taco. I remember Del Taco opening in Greer in the very early '80's, it was "ahead of its time"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 07:17 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,390 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Reputation: 4908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
The current Ingles #38 replaced the store next door, which replaced the one on Fernwood Glendale. I don't recall the reason for Ingles leaving Fernwood Glendale, but I recall thinking at the time that it was an odd decision, along with Bi Lo's decision to try and hold on to the underperforming store further down the road. I suspect Bi Los decision had a lot to do with their relationship with the REIT that built centers they were anchoring.
East Main Street has usually been the major corridor for retailers to locate. I would like to think Bi-Lo and Ingle's Markets relocated for better and more profitable locations and to serve a greater trade area where growth was occurring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 07:26 AM
 
855 posts, read 568,436 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
East Main Street has usually been the major corridor for retailers to locate. I would like to think Bi-Lo and Ingle's Markets relocated for better and more profitable locations and to serve a greater trade area where growth was occurring.
Agreed. Community Cash and Winn Dixie were the market leaders in Spartanburg during that era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 09:09 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,390 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Reputation: 4908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
Agreed. Community Cash and Winn Dixie were the market leaders in Spartanburg during that era.
I do not know how much market share Winn Dixie had in Spartanburg County. I do not recall them having more than four stores in the county. That was the number of stores it had when it exited in 2005.

Community Cash Stores dominated Spartanburg through the 1980's. They imploded at the end of the decade, and never recovered. They filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in May 1999 with 11 stores remaining. Those stores became Acme Markets.

Further reading:
Smith, Carolyn Farr. "Community Cash chain files for bankruptcy Souce: 4 stores to close tonight." Spartanburg Herald-Journal. 1999-05-15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top