U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 11:06 AM

3,249 posts, read 3,961,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Was it ever a Food Town, the previous name of Food Lion? The name change occurred around 1983. The store must have closed in the middle 1980's for Community Cash to open.
Food Lion headquartered in Salisbury, NC was previously named Food Town before it was acquired by Del Haize. The Lion was their logo and the name of their supermarket chain in Belgium, I believe. The name was changed to influence the new parent company, and to allow the Salisbury, NC based chain to expand up north where there was another chain called Food Town at the time.

Food Town was founded in Salisbury, NC by Ralph Ketner and became successful back in the 80's as a low price leader, where their slogan was "LFPINC," for lowest food prices in NC. This successful low price strategy was later expanded into SC and Virginia before changing to Food Lion after the Del Haize acquisition. It will be interesting to see what strategy Ahold brings to the table going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 11:40 AM

19,380 posts, read 17,079,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Food Lion headquartered in Salisbury, NC was previously named Food Town before it was acquired by Del Haize. The Lion was their logo and the name of their supermarket chain in Belgium, I believe. The name was changed to influence the new parent company, and to allow the Salisbury, NC based chain to expand up north where there was another chain called Food Town at the time.

Food Town was founded in Salisbury, NC by Ralph Ketner and became successful back in the 80's as a low price leader, where their slogan was "LFPINC," for lowest food prices in NC. This successful low price strategy was later expanded into SC and Virginia before changing to Food Lion after the Del Haize acquisition. It will be interesting to see what strategy Ahold brings to the table going forward.
Ahold should not be a stranger in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina when they previously owned Bi-Lo. The Food Lion banner would have to raise and fulfill its standards of providing necessities, quality products and fresh foods with service and extra low prices to be on par with Giant Food Stores, Giant Food of Maryland, Hannaford, Martin's Food Markets, and Stop and Shop.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,195,787 times
Thanks white castle and Del Taco would be great here In Greenville

Old 08-03-2015, 04:41 PM

Also When Ann's Liners closes down at CherryDale I would like sss a , dkny jeans Oulet with Free WFI , sky lights , nice restrooms , weather center , Frist aid center , free mints , free Southern ice tea then at the old Chinese Restauant I would like to see a , Hen House Restauant then at the old Dots store , I would like to see a , Nike Flag Ship store then the empty building pass CherryDale at the empty building I would like to see a Jim &Nicks BBQ then across street from this there is empty building at the empty building I would like to see a , white castle then at the old DIXE Restauant I would like to it tron down and put a Tim Hortons with Free WFI , SKY lights , nice restrooms , Frist aid center , weather center , free mints , free USA toay , fat screen TV , Indoor and outdoor seating , kids days on the weekends , across the street I would like to see a , See Candy store then there is a empty building near there at the empty building near there I would like it torn down and put a , coffee and more then there is empty buildings down the street one has Pespi Sign on it I would like to see booth buildings tron down and use booth spaces for Poinset shops with a , Hat world , BB's cafe , Levis store , DOC Martin shoe store , Petco , Larry's Gaint Sub shop , Legos store , Ear Shot , Taco Boy , PGA Golf Store , Blimps Subs , Sperry Shoe store , Austin Boot store , Nautia store , MD 360 , EyeMart Express , Charter store , NBA Store , Guss Jeans store , Timex watch store , Mybyi's Express , Puma Sunglass store , Greenville Drive Gift Shop , Skins Hotdogs , UPS store , Born shoe store , Hanes Oulet , Hugo Boss Jeans store , Comic book store , DC Shoe Store , Braves Gift Shop , RL Polo Store , Ace Pizza , Sammy's Grill , Gergs Pizza Shop , Best Buy Mobile Store , T Mobile store , Tfffany Hair cut place then before this there empty building at the empty building I would like to see it torn down and put a , Popeyes Chicken then there is empty land where you turn to go to Wastons at the empty land I would like to a , Sweet Fog

Old 08-04-2015, 01:36 PM

Also the empty building next to Publix this was where hallmark use to be at the empty building I would like to see a , Penguain Clother store , with Free WFI , SKY lights , nice restrooms , free mints , weather center , Frist aid center , free candy for kids then there empty buildings same shopping center I would like see the fellowing , New Era store , Jimmy Johns , Dave's BBQ , Nike SB Store , Gucci Eyewear store , Jelly Belly store , Bufflo Jeans store then at the old Ingles I would like to see a , Target Express store with free WFI , SKY lights , nice restrooms , Taco Express , Furman Football gift Shop , weather center , Frist aid center , kids days on the weekends , Furman days on the weekends , hot dog carts outside , free mints , free candy for kids

Old 08-06-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL fan View Post
Thanks white castle and Del Taco would be great here In Greenville
The nearest White Castle is in London, Kentucky. And this is one of the few areas where both a White Castle and a Krystal coexist in the same vicinity.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Also in London, Kentucky is the nearest Frisch's Big Boy. And up the road in Lexington, KY is the Skyline Chili and the Goldstar Chili, and a Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken. I believe they still have a Lee's in Rock Hill, SC.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:31 PM

White Castle will be good here In Greenville also Big Boy also SKY line will do good here In Greenville also the there 2 empty lands near Bojangles In Mauldin SC on Bulter RD at the 1st empty land I would like to see a , White Castle , then the 2rd empty I would like to see a, Ben and Jerry Ice cream shop then there is a other empty land after Bojangles at the empty land I would like to see a , TD Bank then there is empty land across form Arby's same RD same area at the empty land I would like to see , Mauldin Shops with a Kogers with Free WFI , SKY lights , nice restrooms , Suntust bank , Coffeee and more , weather center , Frist aid center , free mints , ice cream/waffle cone bar , free candy for kids , kids days on the weekends , SC local cafe , free Southern ice tea , Mic Clinc DOC , other stores at the shops , K-Swiss Shoe store , Larry's Gaint Sub Shop , Boot Barn , Habbits Sports , Levi's Oulet , Petco , Puma Golf Store , Gucci Store , Justin Boot Store , Safe Harbor , True Relgion Jeans store , JO Ann's , New Era Store , G Shock Watch store , Jim's Burgars , Frist watch cafe , TCBY , American Rag Oulet , Nike Oulet , FootJoy Store , Charter Store , Appline SKI center , Ace Pizza , Blocks Bagles , Land Ends Oulet , Lucky Brand Store , IZOD store , Convese store , Hen House Restauant , Battiers Plues , Beat Buy Mobile store , T Mobile Store , Master Cuts , Great Clips , RL Polo store , Lees Jeans store , Cowgirl and cowboy western store , Auto Zone , Tiffany and Company , Mikes Bike store , East Bay Deil , Harry and David store , Mac Tools store , Play again Sports , Sammy's Pizza Shop , Braves Gift Shop , Mauldin High School football gift shop , Tomes Shoe store , Furman Gift Shop , Peeps Candy store , Hanes Oulet , Burt bees store , NASCAR Gift shop , Sperry Shoe Store , Lifeways Christian book store , Hugo Boos Jeans store , City BQQ , Just Dogs , Panthers Gift Shop NFL then at the end a ,Jay's Steakhouse with free WFI , SKY lights , nice restrooms , weather center , Frist aid center , smoke free , inSide and outside seating , video games room , pool tables , free mints , flat screen TVs , free USA today , kids eat free on the weekends , free candy for kids , VIP park , then at the old Jerry's Drive Inn on woodruff RD I would like to see a , Roy Rogers with Free WFI , SKY lights , indoor and outdoor seating , nice restrooms , weather center , Frist aid center , free mints , kids eat free on the weekends , areas for your bikes , flat screen tv then at the old Taven 24 I would like see it tron down and put a , Ray's seafood

Old 08-07-2015, 06:52 PM

Would be great to see a Roy Rogers and they are currently seeking franchise partners for expansion, including the Carolinas. But currently they are concentrating on Virginia, Maryland, and New Jersey where new locations are opening.

I think White Castle may be a long shot, as the southeast is mainly Krystal territory. But as I mentioned, they do overlap in London, Kentucky.

Would also be great to see a Skyline Chili and a Big Boy, especially to fill the void from Shoney's. Which years ago was also a former Big Boy franchisee.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:00 PM

Roy Rogers , White Castle , BIg boy , skyline chill wold all do good here In Greenville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or