U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 05:49 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,195,995 times

Advertisements

Saw that to hope for a Northface store and the ideas I had for 500 Congaree RD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 07:43 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,963,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
ATL
We ate at a corporate operated Western Sizzlin' steak house over in Georgia today. You can add these guys to your wish list. Their service format would put the local competition to shame if they ever come back to town.

I noticed that 500 Congaree has a sign up stating that site development planning is in currently in process. Looks like somebody's been listening to you again..... eh?
Glad to hear Western Sizzlin' is still in existence. Did not know they were still around. They were excellent back in the day and would be great to see them return to the Upstate.

Ryan's has closed most of their local restaurants, and are not as good as when they were locally owned. Have not been to Golden Corral recently.

Also heard a rumor there may be a lone surviving Quincy's down in Toccoa, Georgia, but perhaps I am confused with the Western Sizzlin'.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 AM

Western Sizzen would do good here In Greenville SC

Old 09-07-2015, 09:40 AM

19,386 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Glad to hear Western Sizzlin' is still in existence. Did not know they were still around. They were excellent back in the day and would be great to see them return to the Upstate.

Ryan's has closed most of their local restaurants, and are not as good as when they were locally owned. Have not been to Golden Corral recently.

Also heard a rumor there may be a lone surviving Quincy's down in Toccoa, Georgia, but perhaps I am confused with the Western Sizzlin'.
Western Sizzlin has a location Clemson at 898 Tiger Boulevard, Clemson, South Carolina 29631-1466 that has been consistently good. It also assumed the Quincy's banner and still operates a location at 329 Big A Road, Toccoa, Georgia 30577-6020.

I will agree with Ryan's. Under the ownership of Buffets, Incorporated/Ovation, many successful Ryan's locations in South Carolina and North Carolina closed. Ovation Brands was recently acquired by Food Management Partners of San Antonio, Texas.

Golden Corral has entered markets where Ryan's did not serve, or eventually exited through Buffets' bankruptcies. I think it is capable of adding more locations.

Further reading:
Fair, Jim. "Greer-based buffet chain, Ovation Brands, acquired by Texas food firm." GreerToday.com. 2015-08-20.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:11 PM

469 posts, read 424,354 times
Back in days past, Ryans, Quincy's and Western Sizzlin were great places where you expected to get good consistent quality food. I can't say the same for Ryan's today. After giving them 3 chances not to underwhelm, they managed to fail all 3 times. Golden Corral doesn't measure up much better. A recent visit to a Sagebrush was not very impressive at all.

I suspect the Clemson location for Western Sizzlin is a privately owned franchise. The difference in appearance, inside and out, was starkly noticeable.... as was the overall presentation on the he various food bars. The Ga location was just a large step up on the whole Clemson experience.

I'll give Quincys a try next trip to GA, but right now I think W.S. could come to greenville and inflict some real pain on the local complacent low quality competition, with little effort.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:51 PM

WS would also do good near the GSP off a exit near GSP

Old 09-07-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL fan View Post
WS would also do good near the GSP off a exit near GSP
Any non-quick service restaurants on South Highway 14 or South Highway 101 at Interstate 85 would be good. I would expect non-quick service restaurants to locate at South Highway 101 with Bass Pro Shops opening.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:34 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,963,091 times
Where is this Western Sizzlin' location in Georgia? I do know there is a successful Shoney's still operating in Lavonia, Georgia, but I would still like to see an original Big Boy franchise make a comeback.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:42 PM

Default Western Sizzlin, 898 Tiger Boulevard, Clemson, South Carolina 29631-1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
I suspect the Clemson location for Western Sizzlin is a privately owned franchise. The difference in appearance, inside and out, was starkly noticeable.... as was the overall presentation on the he various food bars. The Ga location was just a large step up on the whole Clemson experience.
Western Sizzlin in Clemson is a franchise location indeed. It has been consistently good to be one of my preferred dining options in Clemson.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:08 PM

469 posts, read 424,354 times
The Western Sizzlin was in Dalton Ga. I like to drop in on the one at clemson as well. I was just surprised at how much better the GA location was maintained and how well the items were presented on the food bars. One wonders if the corporate guys are ignoring the local franchisee on some level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or