U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 01:37 PM

470 posts, read 425,296 times

Advertisements

You see something every day and your mind tends to unfocus and ignore it. No change = no new information noted = file under normal. As a life long resident I know, intellectually that Greenville and surrounding areas are undergoing changes. I've noted many major changes of note. It's the little things that you miss... the ones that don't make the headlines. Here is what I mean. Being a lifelong resident also means habitually avoiding certain areas that have been deemed unsafe, in times past.

A friend asked me to scout out a few locations to shoot photos of his newly finished hotrod. He wanted something sketchy, urban with some graffiti to contrast with the slick look of his car. I figured it would be a snap and took a drive around Greenville. I made my way down back allies, normally forgotten underpasses, industrial zones and even down in the Cripple Creek and Depot areas. I finally found an example of urban style graffiti... on a slow moving box car in the CSX switching yard.

Like I said... I knew intellectually that Greenville was evolving. What I didn't expect is the attention paid to detail, even in seldom seen corners of the back sides of everywhere. I spent 3 days circling across Greenville city and county and was amazed at just how clean and eye appealing it is. The experience gave me a whole new view of my hometown and I'm pleased at the new perspective I've gained.

TLR
Local sees first hand the less heralded efforts being made to revitalize Greenville and is proud of what he saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:00 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,991,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedge1 View Post
Still gotta hit the far end of Welborne st. but Hudson st. and surrounding area is blight free and scrubbed up like your mom's favorite rich aunt was coming to visit.
Try the intersection of Hampton Ave & Huff Line Ln - there's a single old abandoned house that's been used as a markup target. These sorts of areas are more likely to be in the county than the city- try the area around Poe Mill as well. Too bad you can't get into the area of ruins, which had lots of decoration when it was still a skating haven.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:46 AM

10,068 posts, read 19,944,222 times
One of the bridges at I-385/Southern Connector right near YMCA has graffiti on it. I believe the Salters Road bridge that goes over I-85 along with the Haywood Road or Pleasantburg Drive bridge over I-385 does also.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:52 PM

470 posts, read 425,296 times
Thanks guys... Understand the point of the post is to give kudos to the unsung efforts of both city and county. It's only fair to give up a bit of well earned praise, if I'm going to cuss them for when they screw up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or