U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 12:27 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,856,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
It's never been said to me the whole decade I've been here. Where do I need to go?
I think his point is that racist white folks aren't likely to be openly racist to those of other races.

I do have some older family members in the area that are racist. At the same time, I have other family members that go out of their way to avoid any appearance of being racist.

When we lived up north in NJ, I heard far more racist jokes than I hear in this area. While there are certainly some racist folks here, that is true for pretty much everywhere.

We lived for 3 years in Southwest Georgia, and in that area I did run into a lot of African Americans that assumed I was racist as well as a lot of white folks that were racist and assumed I was as well. I had one white co-worker that I had to bluntly tell to stop making racist comments around me.

A lot of what makes people happy or unhappy comes from inside. If you are determined to be miserable, you will likely succeed. Same thing if you are determined to be happy.

In my mind this area doesn't have much of a catch. Not all the schools here are great but if that's important, there are quite a few excellent schools in the area - just live in a neighborhood zoned for those schools. Crime (particularly property crime) is worse than the national average but much of it is clustered in a few specific areas that are easy to avoid. Many roads need to be repaved in the area (but after spending a week in Canada, they don't seem so bad). The unemployment rate in the Greenville area is right around the national average and like anywhere in this economy, it is best to have a job before you move here. Taxes are pretty low and government is in general pretty hands off (if I had a say, I'd lower the income tax, eliminate the property tax on cars, and probably raise the gas tax a bit - of course, I don't get to set the tax rates). I do worry that as the area grows, the people escaping the tax hells of the Midwest and Northeast will bring their high tax mentality with them.

The area has a lot to offer in terms of chain retail and funky local places to shop and eat. Downtown Greenville is nice, the Swamp Rabbit Trail is an asset that seems to be constantly growing, the mountains are very closeby, and the beach is an easy weekend get away.

Greenville isn't perfect but among the many places I have lived over the years, I prefer it over most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 12:29 PM

631 posts, read 882,006 times
Hey JJFIVEOH - My original home state was FL so I know what you mean about mountains and curvy/winding roads!

If you ever venture to Hilton Head Island it might give Greenville a run for it's money. My families favorite vacation area but expensive to live there due to it's higher cost of living.

And if you want some gorgeous mountain driving head up US 178 to Brevard and then take 64W or 74 and go venture to the Nantahala Gorge area. Hit the Cherohala Skyway and US 129 (Tail of the Dragon).

Fantastic driving and views!

Old 05-23-2014, 12:34 PM

4,382 posts, read 6,096,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I think his point is that racist white folks aren't likely to be openly racist to those of other races.

I do have some older family members in the area that are racist. At the same time, I have other family members that go out of their way to avoid any appearance of being racist.

When we lived up north in NJ, I heard far more racist jokes than I hear in this area. While there are certainly some racist folks here, that is true for pretty much everywhere.

We lived for 3 years in Southwest Georgia, and in that area I did run into a lot of African Americans that assumed I was racist as well as a lot of white folks that were racist and assumed I was as well. I had one white co-worker that I had to bluntly tell to stop making racist comments around me.

A lot of what makes people happy or unhappy comes from inside. If you are determined to be miserable, you will likely succeed. Same thing if you are determined to be happy.

In my mind this area doesn't have much of a catch. Not all the schools here are great but if that's important, there are quite a few excellent schools in the area - just live in a neighborhood zoned for those schools. Crime (particularly property crime) is worse than the national average but much of it is clustered in a few specific areas that are easy to avoid. Many roads need to be repaved in the area (but after spending a week in Canada, they don't seem so bad). The unemployment rate in the Greenville area is right around the national average and like anywhere in this economy, it is best to have a job before you move here. Taxes are pretty low and government is in general pretty hands off (if I had a say, I'd lower the income tax, eliminate the property tax on cars, and probably raise the gas tax a bit - of course, I don't get to set the tax rates). I do worry that as the area grows, the people escaping the tax hells of the Midwest and Northeast will bring their high tax mentality with them.

The area has a lot to offer in terms of chain retail and funky local places to shop and eat. Downtown Greenville is nice, the Swamp Rabbit Trail is an asset that seems to be constantly growing, the mountains are very closeby, and the beach is an easy weekend get away.

Greenville isn't perfect but among the many places I have lived over the years, I prefer it over most.
This is a very good post. In the first part I definitely have to agree. I hear racism from blacks occasionally, but never other races. I guess they think they can say it around me because I'm black. I quickly let them now where I stand. That has nothing to do with this area though. I have family in DC that do it. That doesn't make DC racist. I think your hardcore racist is dying off.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:42 PM

631 posts, read 882,006 times
Oh, and even Ben Stein thinks Greenville is special.

Southern Sanity | The American Spectator

Old 05-23-2014, 12:43 PM

470 posts, read 674,565 times
My two cents for the OP...

I don't think there is a catch. Greenville is probably often simply overlooked b/c it happens to be in SC. A lot of people probably don't even consider moving to SC b/c they don't think it has anything to offer.

You can live a decent life here with a low COL. Just realize that you will probably also not make as much as you would in a State in the Northeast for example so it kind of evens out. The prices for houses here are great. You can get a big house for decent money.

Greenville itself has two sides to me. Downtown and then the rest. Downtown is really nice. Anything surrounding it has nothing special in my opinion. I am ok with that though. You can't have it all.

Proximity to mountains and lakes would be a big selling point for me.

I have noticed some subtle racism but it is not worse than anywhere else I've been to before. I (Caucasian/M) hear a somewhat racist joke at work every once in a while. I don't like racism but I am realistic enough to know that this is just what it is. I just don't engage.

In my opinion, the roads are bad. And I mean really bad. If you have pot holes on highways like I-85 it is not acceptable. But I grew up in Germany where highways usually are in good shape.

Conservatism seems to be big here. Lots of Conservatives and religious people here. I am neither and certain things definitely make me shake my head but I have never had any issues b/c I am not trying to change anyone.

Again, I don't think there is a catch. Check out the area and decide for yourself.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:31 PM

160 posts, read 247,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Hey JJFIVEOH - My original home state was FL so I know what you mean about mountains and curvy/winding roads!

If you ever venture to Hilton Head Island it might give Greenville a run for it's money. My families favorite vacation area but expensive to live there due to it's higher cost of living.

And if you want some gorgeous mountain driving head up US 178 to Brevard and then take 64W or 74 and go venture to the Nantahala Gorge area. Hit the Cherohala Skyway and US 129 (Tail of the Dragon).

Fantastic driving and views!
Thanks Valien. I'm not a beach person, leaving SoFL isn't about leaving the ocean behind. I've been to western NC probably 10-12 times in my life. I have traveled the backroads more often than I care to admit. I appreciate the advice. Nantahala is drop dead georgous! I ran the 'tail' with my 2002 F-250 lol. It did a damn good job.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:34 PM

160 posts, read 247,342 times
FYI, to all people that speak of racism, coming up this way is a relief to me because of the lack of racism. As much as you may not want to believe it, racism is low here. Black people are as friendly as can be, everybody gets along. In SoFL, not so much. Just spent today driving, went to Paris Mountain. It ain't western NC, but it sure is pretty close. You guys don't realize how good you have it.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:55 PM

4,382 posts, read 6,096,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
FYI, to all people that speak of racism, coming up this way is a relief to me because of the lack of racism. As much as you may not want to believe it, racism is low here. Black people are as friendly as can be, everybody gets along. In SoFL, not so much. Just spent today driving, went to Paris Mountain. It ain't western NC, but it sure is pretty close. You guys don't realize how good you have it.
Some of us do, lol. Sorry your thread got hijacked with the racism thing. Like I said, I don't feel the least bit uncomfortable here. I think you'll enjoy it, although I know what I prefer doesn't fit everyone. Some people think that if it isn't what they like it's a bad place. Not smart.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:47 PM

200 posts, read 215,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You have some factual inaccuracies there.

The unemployment rate in Greenville County is 6.8%. It's 6.3% nationally.

The crime rate here is MUCH higher than the national average. You can look up that data right on this very website, city-data.com.

Greenville, the city, has been very progressive in it's public investments (largely due to the leadership of a Jewish, liberal European-born Democratic mayor) over the past years, using TONS of federal dollars on the way. Despite the rhetoric of local people and politicians to the effect that "we're broke" at the national level, Greenville and SC take in WAY MORE Federal dollars than it contributes. Greenville (and SC) sucks off the teat of the more liberal parts of the country financially.

Given the liberal policies of the City of Greenville, it's no wonder how well the downtown is doing. Public investment pays off.

I think it's the social conservatism (as well as the fiscal hypocrisy) that (some) people take issue with.
LOL! So let me get this straight, according to you, Greenville is a racist conservative hell hole.

But somehow, the liberals are the ones in charge of the "good parts" of Greenville like the downtown area. How did these liberals get so much control if all of the people in Greenville are conservative racists? Can't have it both ways.

Oh, and how did one of the most conservative parts of the country convince the federal government to give us so much federal dollars? In fact, according to you guys, almost all of the red states somehow have convinced DC (which is mostly controlled by democrats) to give more money to them they the blue states get. That's nice excuse. Not accurate at all, but I'm sure it helps reconcile some unexplainable reality that your mind can't comprehend which is that red states are doing better than blue states.

Now let's talk about "inaccuracies".

Greenville's unemployment rate for Mar 2014 was 4.5% compared to the national average of 6.7%

Greenville-Mauldin-Easley, South Carolina Metropolitan Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

And someone better tell Knox White that he's a "liberal democrat" because apparently he doesn't know it.

Quote:
White has been the city's Republican mayor for 15 years and is running unopposed for another term. He's slim, middle-aged, a bit frenetic, and eager to show off the project that helped Greenville weather the recession.
How A Park Helped One Town Weather The Recession : NPR

Once again, based on your lack of knowledge, I don't really think you live in Greenville, but if you do, and you hate it as much as your posts indicate, then I have no idea why you stay here. Does someone have you chained down?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 PM

11,500 posts, read 25,797,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
I'd like to offer a quick opinion of my visit to Greenville. Yes, some may say I should re-direct my opinions to the 'relocating' threads or something relevant. But I have a very specific question I would like answered that I couldn't quite seem to get from local in my short time tonight.

I have been looking to relocate to the Blue Ridge area. Asheville/Waynesville being my favorite, anything between Knoxville and Greenville would suffice. I have been to western North Carolina many, many times over the last decade. The job market in my field isn't the best. I was impressed with Knoxville, but it seems to be a rather boring atmosphere. Now, I have been to Greenville once in my life, two years ago overnight. This weekend is my first opportunity to check it all out in person.

I got here early in the afternoon after an entire day of driving 720 miles. I'm dead tired. But, I did get to check in and go downtown for Downtown Alive as well as getting the chance to cruise the immediate residential areas. I have researched many, many areas over the last few years ranging from the southeast to the Pacific Northwest. I can usually pinpoint the cost of homes with what is offered to residents. If I find a small town that seems too good to be true based on home prices, I can usually find why that is. Be it demographics, taxes, weather, etc......

With that said I have kept an eye on Greenville homes for quite a while. Bang for the buck, it almost seemed too good to be true. I researched the demographics, the weather, and everything else one might look at when finding home prices way too low. I just could not find it. I spent the late afternoon/early evening downtown for "Downtown Alive" at the Blue Ridge Brewery because I got a recommendation about the Fish & Chips. I also drove around for about an hour (even though that's my plan for later one since I'm beat) and checked out the residential areas. The entire area is still built with original buildings, most homes are original architecture, almost all trees still stand. No matter where you go, there are trees everywhere!

My question to locals (one that I have not found an answer to yet) is what is the catch? Low taxes, low housing costs, low cost of living, great weather, half hour from the mountains........ in my experience there has to be a catch! People here seem to love living here, they are friendly, they are energetic and the whole area is so clean. What is the catch?
Sorry your thread got hijacked. I hate to see when this happens. I wish people could just answer the original question! Honestly, who cares if you're liberal, conservative, black or white. Can't we all just get along? Jeesh!!

Anyhow, to answer your question, there is no catch. As one other poster said, it's a secret that hasn't gotten out yet. We recently moved here and if it weren't for another poster who once lived here, we would've never known about it here. Also, many people wouldn't think about living in SC as also mentioned. The Greenville area has come along way which I've learned. I have a friend who used to live here 30 years ago and he said to me "why would you want to live in Greenville, there's nothing there". He hasn't been back and has no clue. LOL

Come check it out again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or