U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,994,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post
Oh, and even Ben Stein thinks Greenville is special.
I wonder if anyone has checked the LA section of C-D to see if he is repeatedly petitioning for Waffle House to come out to LA!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:49 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,751,081 times
Quote:
My fear is that our success will start to attract a bunch of people from the more liberal areas that have high taxes and high crime. Then once they move here, will start voting for the same kind of people and policies that destroyed their origin and drove them to move here.
What an irrational, ignorant and ridiculous statement.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:59 AM

200 posts, read 214,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
What an irrational, ignorant and ridiculous statement.
Really? Just take a look at what happened to northern virginia.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:22 PM

4,040 posts, read 3,276,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Sorry your thread got hijacked. I hate to see when this happens. I wish people could just answer the original question! Honestly, who cares if you're liberal, conservative, black or white. Can't we all just get along? Jeesh!!
OK, here goes ... JJFIVEOH, I'm not a local but I visited Greenville briefly last October after doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere on the inter webs (my trip was brief because I became seriously ill during the visit ... I'm thinking of a repeat visit this fall hopefully without the seriously ill part. ).

As a potential future resident, the only downsides from my perspective (and they're only from my perspective) are:

* Being several hours away from the coast
* What the current growth says about future quality of life
* The crime rate around downtown - muggings on Swamp Rabbit.

On the plus side, I'd be a lot closer to the mountains. Growth concerns me to a degree because the town I've lived here was a nice quiet old town of 50,000 when I moved here 26 years ago ... because of its desirability, yuppies flooded here over the years and it's now not as "charming" as it used to be. I seldom bother going downtown any more because parking is a problem, and there's near gridlock on certain streets at rush hour. Hopefully that's not the direction Greenville is going. The crime rate concerns me because I'll be 70 when I move to Greenville, and I don't relish having to watch my back if I go for a walk or bike ride.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 AM

1,118 posts, read 1,186,727 times
well, there may not be a "catch" for you, but here are my top five guesses based on your post:

1. While home is where you find it, you may eventually miss people or things from your current home that we do not have here.

2. Greenville looks great in May. We don't have warm winters like Boca Raton. Downtown Alive is a late spring / summer event.

3. Downtown can be a great place at times but it also has the potential for crime that makes some uncomfortable. Greenville has a wide variety of income levels in the city and sometimes there is a clash of sorts about who has rights to what areas and when. Recently, the beautiful Falls Park area had to be protected using a teen curfew as large groups of teens were taking over the park and making others there uncomfortable after dark.

4. Greenville is not just old-fashioned in our prices and homes, but in our worship practices. While many of the old laws like Sunday alcohol sales bans are gone, many Greenvillians still go to church and their faith is a big part of their life. This frustrates some who move here but not all.

5. Greenville has an above average set of employers here, but let's face it, Greenville does not have either a great variety of different industries or the top end of national employers and schools. Greenville's old textile plants have been replaced by tire, car, and car part manufacturers. Only a few top employers choose to be in Greenville while firms like Google, Apple, and Microsoft are noticeably absent. We are mostly thankful for the good jobs we have, but some complain that they find it difficult to find work they are qualified for and can afford to accept.

That said, come join our happy throngs if you will. I hope its a good choice for you.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:49 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,768,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
Do you happen to know why this would bother people? Greenville has low taxes, a low cost of living, a low crime rate, and low unemployment (the upstate is the lowest in SC a well below the national average). I'll take that any day over what some of the more liberal cities have to offer.

I realize we are the reddest part of a red state, but I'm not sure why people would be complaining. Greenville is a great success story. My fear is that our success will start to attract a bunch of people from the more liberal areas that have high taxes and high crime. Then once they move here, will start voting for the same kind of people and policies that destroyed their origin and drove them to move here.

When it comes to public policy, please keep Greenville just the way it is!!
Low taxes, low COL and low unemployment are fine but not in isolation. Greenville also has a low income level, low education level and an above average crime rate. Main St is nice but outside of that, the area is not special.

To be the reddest part of the state, the city is not above asking for government assistance to construct the One Project or to provide over $3m to update a performing arts center or federal grants to construct the trail.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:54 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,157,608 times
Greenville's engineers per capita numbers are for the county, not the city limits if I am not mistaken. Can someone confirm? This is all very off topic, but I think clarification should be made here...

Old 05-25-2014, 11:59 PM

27 posts, read 38,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
1) Crime is very high, especially property crime.

2) Poverty is high.

3) Pollution levels are high, as is litter. And just the overall trashiness of the area once you get outside of Greenville. Many people do not "see" this, but to me they tend to people who do not get out of the area much and have gotten used to the ugly. All the signage, telephone poles, abandoned strip malls... it's ugly.

4) SC schools are bad, including many of the ones here. (When the public schools were forced to desegregate, all the $$$ went into private schools.)

5) The people. This one's tricky. Yes, people here are very, very friendly. They also tend towards the judgmental side. Being a non-Christian has had a negative impact on employment prospects, as well as my work atmosphere. I've had people turn and walk away from me, never to speak again, as if I were the Devil himself once they realized I was not a Christian. The social networks here are also very Church-based, which presents some challenges for non-church folk like us.

6) I imagine being brown or black here is more of a challenge than in other places. I've heard racist jokes here as if it were the 70's or earlier. Complete strangers feel it's appropriate to call our President the "Nlgger-in-Chief" in polite company? What the hell?

7) The roads and road signage are sub-par.

8) The main cost of living advantage here is housing costs, especially as you get away from Greenville. But, I don't see costs much lower in other categories, and given that wages on average are lower... make sure you have that job before you get here.

If you hate it so much then maybe you should move. You will find ignorance in every city. SC has been called the buckle of the Bible Belt, so yes religion plays a big part in our day to day lives. The county is made up of various religious groups/types.

To answer the question the biggest reason is cost of living. The surrounding areas can be even cheaper. If you ask people that live in bordering cities what they do during their off time they will most likely say, "go to Greenville." If not they often work in Greenville. The Peace Center for the Performing Arts and the Children's Museum of the upstate also bring in revenue. I often see bus loads of kids at the museum from all over the state and NC and GA. The Peace Center just rapped up 16 performances of The Phantom of the Opera. All of this visiting and working generates more taxes/growth for Greenville.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,768,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Greenville's engineers per capita numbers are for the county, not the city limits if I am not mistaken. Can someone confirm? This is all very off topic, but I think clarification should be made here...
I have only seen the claim of Greenville's engineering per capita but, per GADA, there are an estimated 5k engineers in Greenville. Not sure what is counted in that number but assuming it does not include some at BMW or GE, dividing 5 - 10000 by 475000 in the county does not give a good per capita number. Dividing that number by the 60k city residents would provide a strong per capita number. If the number was published somewhere, it would be easy to back into.

Greenville's Engineers : Greenville Area Development Corporation (GADC)

HQ Greenville has the engineering number at highest per capita for a community, not sure the definition there. Since this site has the MSA at 1.3m, their numbers are a little embellished.

Greenville Profile : HQ Greenville

This site has it listed as a county number. (paragraph below the Peace Center pic)

Greenville SC, Greenville South Carolina, South Carolina

Huntsville claims to have 20k degreed engineers and the highest per capita in the US. Madison Co Alabama is only 350k residents but the % with a college degree is 38% compared with Greenville County at 474k residents and 31% with a college degree. So, it does not say how Greenville is computing the numbers conclusively but if the Greenville numbers were for the county, you would not expect to see the Huntsville County number of 38 to 31% materially better on the college educated front. To make Greenville County numbers work, you would have to see the number of engineering jobs approach 30k or more to be consistent with Huntsville.

Huntsville best-educated of Alabama's metro areas, with 20,000 residents holding engineering degrees | al.com

Old 05-26-2014, 08:39 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,157,608 times
I'm not the one saying it's the highest, but it is definitely up there at the top. However, I believe the count is for the county. As you know Greenville's city limits are small and would not include a large portion of the engineering jobs outside of Fluor. GE, Michelin, and Jacobs are in the county, as are most manufacturing employers that probably have a handful of engineers on site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or