Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,585,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I'm not the one saying it's the highest, but it is definitely up there at the top. However, I believe the count is for the county. As you know Greenville's city limits are small and would not include a large portion of the engineering jobs outside of Fluor. GE, Michelin, and Jacobs are in the county, as are most manufacturing employers that probably have a handful of engineers on site.
There are a lot of engineering jobs but I would like to see the actual ratio. The sites that I see list things from other counties as part of Greenville so I would not expect city lines to matter much in deciding the Denominator. But, I agree, Greenville has a number of engineering jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:57 AM

160 posts, read 302,084 times
Thanks for all the replies! I'll get back and go over my trip when I get home when I have some more time. And also add to your reps.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 AM

690 posts, read 1,138,575 times
Don't forget that the 5th largest Ad Agency in the South and the largest in South Carolina is HQ'ed here (Erwin Penland). We have more software developers than most software companies here in the upstate (ok..maybe not that much but we have a ton).

(source: I work at EP)

Old 05-29-2014, 09:22 AM

156 posts, read 225,695 times
For anyone who is going to relocate to the area, I would suggest they visit downtown but also do a drive through of the more commercial roads like Woodruff Rd, Pleasantburg and East North Streets. I do spend a lot of time downtown, and enjoy it thoroughly. But, in terms of regular errands like grocery stores, car wash, Home Depot, etc. you will not be going downtown - you will be on these commercial corridors which are pretty standard, ugly, commercial roads.

If you like nature and recreation trails be sure to check out Paris Mountain St Park, Cleveland Park, Furman's campus, and of course the Swamp Rabbit trail. These are just some of the "close in" recreation spots and they are very easy to access. I've been impressed with how well maintained the parks and Greenville Rec areas are kept.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:59 PM

I feel like adding my input now. Should I be honest?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:25 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,909,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
I feel like adding my input now. Should I be honest?
Please do! This forum is for honest opinions

Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 PM

632 posts, read 741,320 times
JJ...
Yup.. I get confused when people just make stuff up..(grin)

Old 05-29-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Please do! This forum is for honest opinions
Let me just start off by saying that I have been looking for an area to relocate to between Greenville and Knoxville. That's the way it started off, I've recently widened my area, and then narrowed it down to the western NC area.

I've been to western NC many times in my life, I've also been to Jackson/Aiken probably 12 time in my life to race. I've heard many things about Greenville that caught my attention. When I looked at the home prices, the taxes, the cost of living and the job market..... I thought there must be a catch. My initial thought was that it resides in South Carolina which in and of itself gives it a bad name.

As many times as I've been to the WNC area and southern SC area, I really only spent an overnight in Greenville and didn't get a chance to check it all out. With that said, I got a chance to check it all out. I am extremely impressed with downtown. Main street and the surrounding blocks are rocking. Any residential areas within a 5 mile radius is really great to see because most homes haven't been touched and neither have the trees. And we're going back 70-100 years of homes. Downtown has great offering in terms of great local food, just enough late night entertainment and some great billiard halls. Downtown Live brings together some local live bands and props up local businesses. Between Knoxville, Asheville and Greenville...... I think Greenville is the best pedestrian city. With the tree coverage, it's comfortable to everybody even in the heat of the summer and everything is close. Asheville and Knoxville might offer more overall, you don't need to be offered more in terms of the city.

Now the bad news. I am an urban planner by trade so I look at thing like taxes, policies, home prices, etc.... when analyzing a city. I thought for a while that I found the one place that didn't have a 'catch' and I wanted to see for myself. Well, it turns out it does have a 'catch'. South Carolina loves to pride itself as the most conservative state in the Union in terms of fiscal policies. That very well may be, but it also doesn't mention how conservative it can get. Greenville has a deal with the state since it is the fastest growing city business-wise, that they can get $300 per inmate/per day. Since they thrive to rely on not getting federal funding. That means there are cops EVERYWHERE! Which is quite ironic in itself that trying to be the most conservative state that they have Big Brother breathing down their backs.

Here is where things get dicey. Infrastructure is terrible! They can get away with it downtown because traffic is slow. But once you get outside of downtown it gets worse. Once you get outside the 5 mile radius, you're on your own. Citizens that love the 'fiscal conservative' thing must love what they are dealt with because the infrastructure is 1950's variety. I haven't seen roads and highways this bad since I left Buffalo..... at least they have an excuse because they salt the roads 4 months out of the year.

I've been through most areas of SC and I was far from impressed. I hoped that Greenville would change my mind. Downtown did...... but that was it. Unless you live within a 5 mile radius and have no plans to go outside that radius, you are fine. But, there is a fine line between being taxed too much and being taxed too little. SC is being taxed too little. The entire state is a hole. The 'good ole boy' network is in full swing in SC. I will not come through SC again unless I have to race in Jackson. When I left, I hit 276 to Waynesville and you could tell where the state line was immediately without even looking at signs. Nothing is kept up in SC, no landscaping, no infrastructure, only cops looking to make the state a buck. At first I thought maybe SC got a bad rep for being in the deep south......... I tried to give them credit until I experienced it. The locals are hardcore, miserable to the point where they try to bring everybody down with their misery. They know they live in a state that saves them a buck in taxes, and they won't let it fly no matter how bad they have it. Greenville is an AWESOME downtown, but don't go there looking for an area to spread your entertainment. When people say SC is a hole, they are correct.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:20 PM

I hope that's not too blunt. I've been to so many cities I lost count and I habitually analyze everything. I think I gave a fair assessment compared to every other place I've been to. I'm a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. Call me a Libertarian. I voted for Gary Johnson. If that means anything towards my evaluation.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:55 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,252,351 times
No harm no foul. Lol. We know it isn't for everyone. We are working on improvements everyday though. Thanks for visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area