U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,857,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
I have to agree with you, I don't think the lack of sufficient tax revenue is the reason for poor road conditions. I think it's poor planning. While some in SC love to tout their low tax rates they do receive an incredible amount of federal funding which is ironic in itself. I remember reading a study recently, if I remember correctly SC is one of four states to receive more than twice as much federal funding than is paid into federal taxes. It's one of those things they don't talk about.

You're right about Asheville. It's pretty much the original layout. I think if Asheville grows significantly in the near future, they may be in trouble.

I think the only states with low gas tax rates are NJ and AK, so lack of revenue certainly plays a role in the condition of roads in SC. The SC DOT has said that current revenues will allow them to resurface the average road about every 60 years. Considering that the average road surface lasts about 20 years, something doesn't add up. SC has the 4th largest state road system in the nation and spends less per mile of state maintained road than any other state.

I can't think of any other tax I would even consider raising, but it is past time to raise the gas tax in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM

149 posts, read 167,576 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to lump everybody together in terms or misery. From what I experienced it was mainly the suburbs. Downtown was a completely different atmosphere. Unlike most cities I have visited, it seems like there is a very distinct line between downtown and its surroundings. Maybe a 3-4 mile radius from the center of downtown, and then everything changes completely. The atmosphere, the people......... once you get into the surrounding towns the people just seemed unhappy. I don't know how to describe it without getting stereotypical. The impression I got was the people of downtown actually lived downtown because the atmosphere is that much different. It seems like it's not a city where people work downtown and then drive home to the suburbs.

I hear ya about the roads. I grew up in Buffalo. I'm not going to single out Greenville in terms of bad roads, Asheville has its fair share of aging infrastructure. I-40 is a mess. But once you get outside of downtown, many of the 2 lane roads in western NC are in great condition. The bad roads in Greenville extend all the way out. In fact most of the state that I have experienced is bad.

I've traveled all over the southeast. I've been looking for an area with a decent urban center, distinct change of seasons, and mountains. Mountains are near the top of the list. After spending the last 18 years in an area that is completely flat, all roads run N-S or E-W and nothing but palm trees, mountains are important to me. Portland, OR is near the top of my list but a move from SoFL would be a major project. Of course jobs play a major part. I'd also consider Bend, OR if I went that far. But I've narrowed it down to Asheville or any of the immediate suburbs. If I were to live downtown without ever wanting to travel outside the area, Greenville is great. It's a little further from the mountains than I'd like, but considering all things I find important, it has a little bit of everything. But I enjoy the outdoors, traveling all over western NC and eastern TN is also important.

Sorry I didn't get back to this right away. Hope that helps!
Thanks, again JJ.

We've recently returned from another trip to GVL, this time to make a more purposeful visit--looking at real estate, driving around, speaking with locals. We've decided to move from our home in northern NE to GVL sometime in the next 12 months. Here's why: The downtown, of course, is a marvel. People are outgoing, warm and engaging. The area (northeast, toward Furman) that we like is quiet but close to town, shopping (but not near the sprawl of Wade Hampton) and allows easy access to biking and the mountains. We can buy all the house we need for under $250K, have great amenities, much lower taxes and, we expect, and an easier way of life. We'll be able to enjoy the activities we like--biking, tennis, hiking--for more of the year.

I expect there will be some drawbacks--hot summers, some cultural differences, more traffic and, very likely, some unexpected issues. We can understand and appreciate though why GVL has become such a draw and we're looking forward to our move.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:56 PM

11,502 posts, read 25,802,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
Thanks, again JJ.

We've recently returned from another trip to GVL, this time to make a more purposeful visit--looking at real estate, driving around, speaking with locals. We've decided to move from our home in northern NE to GVL sometime in the next 12 months. Here's why: The downtown, of course, is a marvel. People are outgoing, warm and engaging. The area (northeast, toward Furman) that we like is quiet but close to town, shopping (but not near the sprawl of Wade Hampton) and allows easy access to biking and the mountains. We can buy all the house we need for under $250K, have great amenities, much lower taxes and, we expect, and an easier way of life. We'll be able to enjoy the activities we like--biking, tennis, hiking--for more of the year.

I expect there will be some drawbacks--hot summers, some cultural differences, more traffic and, very likely, some unexpected issues. We can understand and appreciate though why GVL has become such a draw and we're looking forward to our move.
Welcome to Greenville

Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 AM

160 posts, read 247,405 times
Quote:
Thanks, again JJ.

Best of luck to you in Greenville! Yeah, the hot summers are a drawback. That's one thing I think would turn me off. At least in Asheville and especially the surrounding towns the elevation keeps it out of the 90's for most of the summer. You'll see plenty of 90's in Greenville. Being from Buffalo, I understand how it could be a change for you in terms of weather and culture. But, it sounds like you like it. A big part of enjoying life is enjoying your surroundings and location. You can have the best job in the world, but if you hate your city and the people that live there it's going to make things difficult; and also vice versa. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:16 AM

11,502 posts, read 25,802,003 times
Quote:
Best of luck to you in Greenville! Yeah, the hot summers are a drawback. That's one thing I think would turn me off. At least in Asheville and especially the surrounding towns the elevation keeps it out of the 90's for most of the summer. You'll see plenty of 90's in Greenville. Being from Buffalo, I understand how it could be a change for you in terms of weather and culture. But, it sounds like you like it. A big part of enjoying life is enjoying your surroundings and location. You can have the best job in the world, but if you hate your city and the people that live there it's going to make things difficult; and also vice versa. Good luck!
OTOH if you're coming from FL, it doesn't feel as humid to us. The positive thing also is that the evenings and mornings are just perfect. It will take adjustment if you're coming from up north. Once your blood thins out, you'll be freezing below. 60. LOL

Old 06-25-2014, 11:52 AM

3,447 posts, read 5,363,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
OTOH if you're coming from FL, it doesn't feel as humid to us. The positive thing also is that the evenings and mornings are just perfect. It will take adjustment if you're coming from up north. Once your blood thins out, you'll be freezing below. 60. LOL
Having spent last weekend back in Orlando and Tampa, I couldn't agree more.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM

667 posts, read 849,929 times
Just think, sovertennis: no mud season, no black flies the size of military drones. That alone should make up for a lot of hot summer days. (I know it does for me.) :-)

Old 06-26-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
Just think, sovertennis: no mud season, no black flies the size of military drones. That alone should make up for a lot of hot summer days. (I know it does for me.) :-)
And no endless allergy season, no more perpetual deerfly harassment, no more having to choose from only three (palatable) restaurants, no more having to cancel tennis/biking/cookout/etc because it still hasn't stopped raining yet...

One more year, I hope.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,857,940 times
Quote:
And no endless allergy season, no more perpetual deerfly harassment, no more having to choose from only three (palatable) restaurants, no more having to cancel tennis/biking/cookout/etc because it still hasn't stopped raining yet...

One more year, I hope.
This area can be pretty tough for allergies and we have plenty of deerflies, horseflies, and their brethren. Rain can be a weird thing in this area - it rained pretty much the whole summer last year, which I thought was great (my hobby is whitewater kayaking), but last year was definitely an anomaly.

There are plenty of good restaurants in the area though

Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
This area can be pretty tough for allergies and we have plenty of deerflies, horseflies, and their brethren. Rain can be a weird thing in this area - it rained pretty much the whole summer last year, which I thought was great (my hobby is whitewater kayaking), but last year was definitely an anomaly.

There are plenty of good restaurants in the area though
Certainly, allergies are omnipresent; however, during my five days in GVL I wasn't affected. When I got back to NE, they hit me like a sack of bricks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or