Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 PM

160 posts, read 303,452 times

Advertisements

I'd like to offer a quick opinion of my visit to Greenville. Yes, some may say I should re-direct my opinions to the 'relocating' threads or something relevant. But I have a very specific question I would like answered that I couldn't quite seem to get from local in my short time tonight.

I have been looking to relocate to the Blue Ridge area. Asheville/Waynesville being my favorite, anything between Knoxville and Greenville would suffice. I have been to western North Carolina many, many times over the last decade. The job market in my field isn't the best. I was impressed with Knoxville, but it seems to be a rather boring atmosphere. Now, I have been to Greenville once in my life, two years ago overnight. This weekend is my first opportunity to check it all out in person.

I got here early in the afternoon after an entire day of driving 720 miles. I'm dead tired. But, I did get to check in and go downtown for Downtown Alive as well as getting the chance to cruise the immediate residential areas. I have researched many, many areas over the last few years ranging from the southeast to the Pacific Northwest. I can usually pinpoint the cost of homes with what is offered to residents. If I find a small town that seems too good to be true based on home prices, I can usually find why that is. Be it demographics, taxes, weather, etc......

With that said I have kept an eye on Greenville homes for quite a while. Bang for the buck, it almost seemed too good to be true. I researched the demographics, the weather, and everything else one might look at when finding home prices way too low. I just could not find it. I spent the late afternoon/early evening downtown for "Downtown Alive" at the Blue Ridge Brewery because I got a recommendation about the Fish & Chips. I also drove around for about an hour (even though that's my plan for later one since I'm beat) and checked out the residential areas. The entire area is still built with original buildings, most homes are original architecture, almost all trees still stand. No matter where you go, there are trees everywhere!

My question to locals (one that I have not found an answer to yet) is what is the catch? Low taxes, low housing costs, low cost of living, great weather, half hour from the mountains........ in my experience there has to be a catch! People here seem to love living here, they are friendly, they are energetic and the whole area is so clean. What is the catch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:44 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
Every place has its problems. What you're not seeing? I'm not sure. It seems that you really do your research and know where to look. Greenville has been fortunate to have great visionaries in leadership roles over the past several decades, and a very supportive and involved business community. It has also been blessed to grow at a fairly modest rate. It is certainly not perfect, but it's a great place to live for some people, including myself.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:40 AM

292 posts, read 344,572 times
I'm not sure there is a "catch." Ive lived here for the last 15 years and absolutely love it here. Greenville is not too big (like Atlanta) where you get swallowed up, and not too small. We have just about every kind of store and restaurant anyone could want or imagine, and we're close to the beach and the mountains if you want to have a nice weekend get away. Greenville also has a good mix of natives and people who have moved here from all over the country, and even the world.

The only complaints I hear are:

1) The traffic. Specifically on Woodruff road where all of the major shops are now.

2) There's not a huge young crowd here, but that would only be important to someone that's single in the their early 20's looking for a mate. I'll add that I moved to Greenville in my early 20's and met my wife here, so if I can do it, anyone can.

3) Schools. This more a complaint about SC in general. I think Greenville has both good and bad schools. The schools my two elementary aged kids go to is fantastic, so I have no complaints so far.

4) Its not pedestrian or bicycle friendly, and does not have a great public transit system. Greenville is spread out and you need to have your own vehicle to get where you want to go. There are not many sidewalks unless you're on a major road, and we have virtually no bicycle lanes.

I think Greenville has been blessed to have leaders (and people wise enough to elect them) that understand fiscal responsibility and do not go crazy with trying to spend money on things we don't need. This is why we've been able to maintain low taxes and relatively low costs of living compared to other parts of the US. Its a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:46 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,003 times
Depending upon your line of work, you may be disappointed with the pay. In most areas of the country, pay versus cost-of-living usually match, so yes, if you work in NYC, for example, you will make a huge amount of money- and have to spend it all just to live there. That being said, my wife makes the same money here that she did in FL, although our COL is much lower. She works in health care.

There are other issues as well. Some like the climate here; some don't. Roads are crummy, and many of the public schools are pretty bad, although I think the Greenville area is better than much of the rest of the state. Politics are considered to be very conservative, which bothers some. I've heard about the area being 'too religious', although I haven't noticed it much.

Like any city, Greenville has bad areas, so make sure the bargain real estate you're looking at is in an area you would want to live. Enjoy your visit here, and ask plenty of questions!

Old 05-23-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
Politics are considered to be very conservative, which bothers some.
Do you happen to know why this would bother people? Greenville has low taxes, a low cost of living, a low crime rate, and low unemployment (the upstate is the lowest in SC a well below the national average). I'll take that any day over what some of the more liberal cities have to offer.

I realize we are the reddest part of a red state, but I'm not sure why people would be complaining. Greenville is a great success story. My fear is that our success will start to attract a bunch of people from the more liberal areas that have high taxes and high crime. Then once they move here, will start voting for the same kind of people and policies that destroyed their origin and drove them to move here.

When it comes to public policy, please keep Greenville just the way it is!!

Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
Default The catch? Just one?

1) Crime is very high, especially property crime.

2) Poverty is high.

3) Pollution levels are high, as is litter. And just the overall trashiness of the area once you get outside of Greenville. Many people do not "see" this, but to me they tend to people who do not get out of the area much and have gotten used to the ugly. All the signage, telephone poles, abandoned strip malls... it's ugly.

4) SC schools are bad, including many of the ones here. (When the public schools were forced to desegregate, all the $$$ went into private schools.)

5) The people. This one's tricky. Yes, people here are very, very friendly. They also tend towards the judgmental side. Being a non-Christian has had a negative impact on employment prospects, as well as my work atmosphere. I've had people turn and walk away from me, never to speak again, as if I were the Devil himself once they realized I was not a Christian. The social networks here are also very Church-based, which presents some challenges for non-church folk like us.

6) I imagine being brown or black here is more of a challenge than in other places. I've heard racist jokes here as if it were the 70's or earlier. Complete strangers feel it's appropriate to call our President the "Nlgger-in-Chief" in polite company? What the hell?

7) The roads and road signage are sub-par.

8) The main cost of living advantage here is housing costs, especially as you get away from Greenville. But, I don't see costs much lower in other categories, and given that wages on average are lower... make sure you have that job before you get here.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:06 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

2) Poverty is high.

3) Pollution levels are high, as is litter. And just the overall trashiness of the area once you get outside of Greenville. Many people do not "see" this, but to me they tend to people who do not get out of the area much and have gotten used to the ugly. All the signage, telephone poles, abandoned strip malls... it's ugly.

4) SC schools are bad, including many of the ones here. (When the public schools were forced to desegregate, all the $$$ went into private schools.)

5) The people. This one's tricky. Yes, people here are very, very friendly. They also tend towards the judgmental side. Being a non-Christian has had a negative impact on employment prospects, as well as my work atmosphere. I've had people turn and walk away from me, never to speak again, as if I were the Devil himself once they realized I was not a Christian. The social networks here are also very Church-based, which presents some challenges for non-church folk like us.

6) I imagine being brown or black here is more of a challenge than in other places. I've heard racist jokes here as if it were the 70's or earlier. Complete strangers feel it's appropriate to call our President the "Nlgger-in-Chief" in polite company? What the hell?

8) The main cost of living advantage here is housing costs, especially as you get away from Greenville. But, I don't see costs much lower in other categories, and given that wages on average are lower... make sure you have that job before you get here.
Wow.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:37 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:

2) Poverty is high.

I'm black and have never experienced these extremes. I've been here a decade and work with the public. Greenville is about 33 percent black. If I experienced this as regular as you seem to I'd probably be gone. But I haven't and I love this area.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:09 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:

2) Poverty is high.

If you hate it so much, why did you move here in the first place? Word to the wise: ignore this troll named Art123.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:

2) Poverty is high.

I have no idea what town you are living in but it sure ain't Greenville SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area