U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,211,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Those bands would also bring in vendors!

Like geriatric and hospice services.
Maybe they can see if Justin Beiber will perform for you next year.

Most of those 80's bands are still some of the top grossing bands each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM

1,738 posts, read 799,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I wonder if other festivals across the upstate counties have similar issues.

If Aloft 2015 is a reality, the concert lineup needs vast improvement. America, Chicago, Doobie Brothers, Kiss, Steely Dan and others would bring in crowd.
Does anyone remember seeing America when they came to Donaldson in the nineties. If I remember right, the concert was free and it was awesome. Later they had a birthday bash for one of the band members in a hotel down the road and I got to meet the band members.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 AM

5,186 posts, read 7,499,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Most of those 80's bands are still some of the top grossing bands each year.
Hmmm, I guess that depends on why your definition of "top" is.

None of them are in the Top 25:

Top 25 Tours of 2013 | Billboard

Or the Top 100 (pdf):

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/cha...ricanTours.pdf

Maybe they are in the top 500!?!?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,211,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Hmmm, I guess that depends on why your definition of "top" is.

None of them are in the Top 25:

Top 25 Tours of 2013 | Billboard

Or the Top 100 (pdf):

http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/cha...ricanTours.pdf

Maybe they are in the top 500!?!?
I saw at least 7 in the top 25, not bad after 30 plus years. Also, Justin was in the top 25, so your good.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:59 AM

Default Metamucil presents Aloft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I saw at least 7 in the top 25, not bad after 30 plus years. Also, Justin was in the top 25, so your good.
You may need to get your eyes checked.

None of the bands mentioned on this thread are on the lists, nor are they from the 80's.

Zero in the top 25. None in the top 100.

And largely older people go to those shows, which was my point.

Like I said, those bands would bring in a lot of vendors.

Last edited by Art123; 06-05-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 04:04 PM

19,380 posts, read 17,079,986 times
Does anyone expect Paul McCartney, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, U2, the Who and Rolling Stones to perform at a balloon festival? I doubt it. The musicians mentioned still play in larger venues and can sell out concerts.

I wonder why Biltmore in Asheville, North Carolina is able to get great musicians each year for their concert series. This year, they have ZZ Top, Steely Dan, Three Dog Night, 38 Special and Boston. ZZ Top has performed at Heritage Park before.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:21 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,953,632 times
I vote for Nena and 99 Luftballoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lur-SGl3uw8

Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 PM

Default Keyboards rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I vote for Nena and 99 Luftballoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lur-SGl3uw8
Awesomely perfect.

Now THAT's some 80's music! And it brings back memories. I've got my old parachute pants around here somewhere...

Old 06-05-2014, 08:46 PM

8,142 posts, read 5,998,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Does anyone expect Paul McCartney, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, U2, the Who and Rolling Stones to perform at a balloon festival? I doubt it. The musicians mentioned still play in larger venues and can sell out concerts.

I wonder why Biltmore in Asheville, North Carolina is able to get great musicians each year for their concert series. This year, they have ZZ Top, Steely Dan, Three Dog Night, 38 Special and Boston. ZZ Top has performed at Heritage Park before.
You're going to get nothing next year, I think.. I don't see there being a festival.. The sad part is.. In the early 90's, when it was on the July 4th weekend, it was HUGE down at Donaldson Center. Then they moved it to Memorial Day weekend and Anderson, and.. Then after the move to Simpsonville.. It's not what it was.

I remember in.. I think it was '92.. They had Brooks and Dunn performing.. But, they were on their way up at that point.

When I lived in DC, the country music station there, WMZQ, did a concert at the Battlefield in Manassas every year. In 1991, I think (Maybe it was 1990) they got Garth Brooks on his way up..

Another station would do the WHFStival at RFK.. Again, getting 'classic' acts or acts on their way up.

Anyone who can sell out an arena isn't generally going to do a small town festival. They won't even do a big town festival.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:57 PM

308 posts, read 375,194 times
My first year going in I think it was 2008 it was cheap to get in like 5-10 bucks and free parking if I remember right. They had okay bands.

My issue is this, it's not worth the price and the traffic, $25 bucks a person to see the same balloons I can stand on the corner of Fairview rd and see fly up, um yeah think again.

As for the concerts we have an amazing venue for them and whoever the moron is that's running the show needs to be replaced. Tampa, Fl has an amazing amphitheater at the fair grounds and can bring it good bands, so whats our problem. Why are we not bring in great concerts to our venue? I just looked at the calendar and I think I counted like 5-6 things for the rest of the year. We should be using that venue every freaking weekend with something.

Then again I think some of the biggest issue is the city of Simpsonville and the way they are handling running the show and venue if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area