U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:49 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,213,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You may need to get your eyes checked.

None of the bands mentioned on this thread are on the lists, nor are they from the 80's.

Zero in the top 25. None in the top 100.

And largely older people go to those shows, which was my point.

Like I said, those bands would bring in a lot of vendors.
My eyes are fine, maybe your ears are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:24 AM

5,187 posts, read 7,500,599 times
Default Details and precision may not be your thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
My eyes are fine, maybe your ears are not.
Huh. My computer doesn't talk to me? Does yours?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:34 PM

5,489 posts, read 6,213,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Huh. My computer doesn't talk to me? Does yours?
Actually it does. Maybe you should trade in your 80's PC for something a bit newer. It's possible your parachute pants are messing things up for ya.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:40 PM

19,386 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You're going to get nothing next year, I think.. I don't see there being a festival.. The sad part is.. In the early 90's, when it was on the July 4th weekend, it was HUGE down at Donaldson Center. Then they moved it to Memorial Day weekend and Anderson, and.. Then after the move to Simpsonville.. It's not what it was.

I remember in.. I think it was '92.. They had Brooks and Dunn performing.. But, they were on their way up at that point.

When I lived in DC, the country music station there, WMZQ, did a concert at the Battlefield in Manassas every year. In 1991, I think (Maybe it was 1990) they got Garth Brooks on his way up..

Another station would do the WHFStival at RFK.. Again, getting 'classic' acts or acts on their way up.

Anyone who can sell out an arena isn't generally going to do a small town festival. They won't even do a big town festival.
I wonder if Freedom Weekend Aloft has had greater success in Anderson or in Simpsonville. Although successful at Donaldson Center, the area became more industrialized and decreased usefulness of serving as a venue for future events.

Attendance has significantly declined switching from Independence Day to Memorial Day.

Has anyone attended Balloons over Anderson? <http://www.balloonsoveranderson.org/>

Old 06-06-2014, 06:33 PM

8,144 posts, read 6,002,296 times
I would say that the combo of moving from Donaldson and the July 4th to Memorial day shift have been equally devastating.

Heh.. here's a newspaper writeup on it from 1985.. Music that year? Ray Stevens, The Commodores, Ronnie McDowell..

Herald-Journal - Google News Archive Search

Based on what I can find.. record attendance of 200k was in 2003. Which was in Anderson and was Memorial day weekend. Numbers now appear to be in the 25k range.

I think 1996 was the first time it was on memorial day weekend, and if I recall, the main reason for the move was the temps.. Too hot in July.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I would say that the combo of moving from Donaldson and the July 4th to Memorial day shift have been equally devastating.

Heh.. here's a newspaper writeup on it from 1985.. Music that year? Ray Stevens, The Commodores, Ronnie McDowell..

Herald-Journal - Google News Archive Search

Based on what I can find.. record attendance of 200k was in 2003. Which was in Anderson and was Memorial day weekend. Numbers now appear to be in the 25k range.

I think 1996 was the first time it was on memorial day weekend, and if I recall, the main reason for the move was the temps.. Too hot in July.
Imagine a concert with the Commodores performing "Brick House" and Ray Stevens performing "The Streak." Lionel Richie had left the Commodores for his solo career in 1982, and the rest is history. The Commodores did have a moderate hit with "Night Shift" in 1985.

Freedom Weekend Aloft actually moved to Memorial Day weekend a few years ago.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:13 AM

8,144 posts, read 6,002,296 times
It's been more than a few years. The whole time in Anderson was Memorial Day..

I had thought that the change happened when it moved to Anderson, but.. I found this..

Pontiac Freedom Weekend Aloft

Remember when it was sponsored by Pontiac?

Quote:
Pontiac’s Freedom Weekend Aloft celebrated its 15th Anniversary in Greenville, South Carolina May 24-27, 1996. This year brought new dates as the event’s leadership decided to move the patriotic hot air ballooning and entertainment event to Memorial Day Weekend, instead of the Fourth of July weekend. In researching thirty years of weather data, results indicated that this holiday weekend should have provided cooler weather and more favorable winds for the balloons. However, despite the compiled weather data, Mother Nature pitched a change-up and Friday’s high was hotter than the first day of the festival last year.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:00 PM

10,062 posts, read 19,932,567 times
Aloft to file for bankruptcy and cease operations.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,832,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Sad to hear - haven't been in years but have some good childhood memories of the original event out at Donaldson Center.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Sad to hear - haven't been in years but have some good childhood memories of the original event out at Donaldson Center.
Confirmed. (WYFF-TV)

I do not know what the City of Simpsonville intends to do in the terms of a annual major festival in Aloft's absence.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area