U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 AM

745 posts, read 1,927,376 times

Advertisements

I'd rather not see another Woodruff Rd happen in TR. It's interesting to go through the small towns in VT. Chain stores are virtually non-existent except in the largest cities. Each little town seems to have some kind of general store where you can buy anything from hardware to wine to surprisingly good (and expensive) local cheeses. I don't know how these economies work in today's world, but VT enjoys very low unemployment, and these towns manage somehow. I'd live in VT if it weren't for the ridiculous winters.

One of the reasons we left FL was to escape miles and miles of suburban sprawl. I try to support local businesses and eschew chain stores as much as I can afford to. Don't get me wrong- growth is good; uncontrolled, unplanned random growth is a headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 AM

47 posts, read 79,103 times
I was a Kickstart supporter of Tandem Creperie & Coffeehouse. Because I was on travel, I missed the opening but got to have lunch there last Sunday. It was very good. We had savory crepes and they were so filling, we didn't have room for dessert. I can see myself going there for a lemon crepe and coffee and then strolling over to the Swamp Rabbit Brewery and Taproom to fill my growler.

The SR Brewery always has food trucks on the weekends. Bo Daddy's won an award for best BBQ in the Upstate. Get there early because they often sell out of pulled pork.

Shortfields has become so popular, that they built an area in front for dining al fresco. They have wings in multiple flavors and often run specials on them. They were part of the small plate crawl in March and the 2nd best thing I had during my two days of crawling was the seared Ahi tuna at Shortfields. Shortfields usually has a tent at Trailblazer Park when there is a Saturday evening event.

Hincapie's Hotel Domestique and Restaurant 17 have a TR address even though they are off 25 just north of 11. Great crawl experience there and went back for a TdF viewing with food. They bolloxed setting up the video feed, but the food was great. They are always having themed nights and Tuesdays are small plates (tapas). They are starting a vineyard and the view of the mountains from inside and out is gorgeous, especially around sunset. And, they have a booth at the TRFM with baked goods.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 2,000,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoann View Post
Tandem Creperie & Coffeehouse.
The Tandem Creperie has a nice vibe! It's a great addition to TR.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:04 PM

47 posts, read 79,103 times
My only problem is that the interior of Tandem has so many hard surfaces that it is very noisy inside. We ate outside. I like how the planters are tall enough to hide the parking lot, but still have a nice feel with the wood and the plants. I'm not sure what we will do when the weather turns cold but we could always go at a less busy time.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:55 AM

1,450 posts, read 2,000,860 times
This is becoming a 'problem' when visiting TR now: a bewildering choice of places to eat -

As Travelers Rest grows, so does food scene

Quote:
In the past five years, Travelers Rest has experienced what could safely be called a boom of great proportions. The Swamp Rabbit Trail brings thousands to the area each week, retail shops are opening all along Main Street and visitors see it more and more as a destination.

But nowhere is the growth more evident than in the array of restaurants popping up throughout TR's main corridor. Where once Leopard Forest Coffeehouse stood alone as a unique, independent place for homemade food, others have now joined the fray.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 PM

692 posts, read 1,067,245 times
In this article was the first mention of Roots Smokehouse that I can recall seeing, but it sounds intriguing. I hope the owner can pull it off. It's definitely something that I would like to try.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:11 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,652,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
I'd rather not see another Woodruff Rd happen in TR. It's interesting to go through the small towns in VT. Chain stores are virtually non-existent except in the largest cities. Each little town seems to have some kind of general store where you can buy anything from hardware to wine to surprisingly good (and expensive) local cheeses. I don't know how these economies work in today's world, but VT enjoys very low unemployment, and these towns manage somehow. I'd live in VT if it weren't for the ridiculous winters.

One of the reasons we left FL was to escape miles and miles of suburban sprawl. I try to support local businesses and eschew chain stores as much as I can afford to. Don't get me wrong- growth is good; uncontrolled, unplanned random growth is a headache.
I lived in VT three years. It is true what you say about the smaller local stores, you don't really see that too often. However, unemployment is actually pretty high. A lot of people leave VT once adults, and those who move from out of state often don't last long. The people who are able to make a good living for themselves stay. a lot of the jobs do not pay well, not a lot of major industry. Cost of living is high cost of housing is high due partly to the fact that there is very little construction of newer homes so there is not a lot to choose from. A good deal of its economy comes from tourism, which is primarily winter and fall. Some areas also have rampant drug abuse, particularly heroin, and there is crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area