U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:32 PM

692 posts, read 1,063,065 times

Advertisements

Inspired by ATL Fan's thread, I hope to start a thread specific to Travelers Rest to discuss observations about TR's growth and desires for it's future.

This area is near and dear to me as my early years were spent in North Greenville (Mountain View), and I enjoyed my youth in Mountain View and the Travelers Rest area of ... well, Sunny Slopes. There really wasn't much to TR back in those days, and my small town has grown quite since then. I moved away almost 30 years ago and returned just a few years ago. In that time, TR has graduated from being a hopeful mill town to a gateway to the mountains.

The first time I came back to TR was some decades ago, and I really didn't pay too much attention to the town itself. TR was always kind of whatever, a place to get some gas on your way to Hendersonville or Asheville. My first destination was North Greenville to see my old stomping grounds.

My family had a large tract of land, which we developed and eventually sold in parcels. That area is now called Beaver Run. That was my first stop. It's really pretty now, well developed, lots of nice houses around the lake that we used to swim in. I was lucky to get to check it out since the land I used to wander freely as a pre-teen is now a private community!

After we developed and sold that land, I left BR and ended up at school in TR... That school is now gone and the new one is just "holy cow, TR grew a school!". I could say the same about Blue Ridge, but that's another thread...

Recently I've had the opportunity to experience TR's Main St growth. I think back to the days when Main St was Brown's feed and seed, the laundromat, and down the road was the WE Willis. I remember my grandmother at many gray hairs old actually got her GED from the extension on Main St in TR. My brother and I sat with her for many hours while she took that test, and when she was done, we ate hot dogs for 4 for a dollar (we did that often... not just when she got her GED).

Yesterday I had lunch at the Whistle Stop. I actually had trouble finding it with all of the new growth. My wife and I were scanning the side of the road looking for a building with a train on it. Only trouble we had were the speed hounds behind us that really badly wanted to do 50 in a 35. As I was trying to find the restaurant, I had another driver dangerously close to my bumper -- presumably because I was only driving 30 or so trying to find our destination -- WITH my signal on.

That's a problem TR has now and probably will have into the future as far as I can see. Coming from Greenville you slow from 55 to 45 and the other way you go from 45 to 35. No one seems to want to do the speed limit, and so far, I haven't seen the police enforce the speed limits. This is a real problem along Main St where families are walking, bikers are riding, etc. Traffic control seriously needs to be addressed.

I love my little town, and I really hope it doesn't outgrow itself.

Love to hear your thoughts on TR! There's a lot that I could have touched on and a lot of areas we can talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 04:56 AM

745 posts, read 1,922,593 times
Great perspective on TR. We are currently building about 5 miles north of town. When we bought our property 7 years ago, we didn't pay any attention to the local communities; we just needed to be within commuting distance of Greenville for work. Imagine our surprise when TR seemed to become an up-and-coming thing! The changes (and traffic) in the last 7 years has been incredible, especially compared to many other small SC towns that are dying out.

Traffic, and access to Asheville is going to be a problem. It seems odd to me that Spartanburg got the interstate, not Greenville. There is a lot of truck traffic on 25, moving goods to and from Asheville. Luckily, (or wise planning) the traffic is mostly on 25, carrying it away from down town TR. There will always be traffic on Maint St., as 276 goes on up to Marietta and beyond to the mountains. Main St. should probably be 25 MPH in the congested part, and devise some way to better slow traffic approaching the town.

We try to get out and enjoy the town, ignoring the fast food joints on 25. There a number of places now to eat or enjoy a beverage. We like Whistle Stop and William's Hardware particularly. We haven't tried the new brewery, but since they don't serve food, it doesn't appeal to me as much. I'm past the point where I want to just sit and drink beer. We buy all of our coffee at The Forest. We get our honey from the place on Main St. I even bought a bottle of moonshine at Copperhead Mountain. If you enjoy independent, small-town businesses, you need to get out and support them, or they won't be around long.

I haven't seen any mention of the new Trailblazer Park in TR. It is on the site of the old high school. The Farmer's Market is suddenly way bigger and nicer than before, with about 50 vendors. There is a new open-air pavilion for the vendors. Also in the park is a natural amphitheater carved into the hillside with a nice stage. They have FREE music every Saturday night with a variety of performers all summer long. Food trucks sell food for dinner if you're so inclined.

What does TR need? Independent businesses seem to mostly involve food and drink. It's hard for other businesses to compete with the big box chains for business. There is a fledgling art community trying to get started; that would be good for the area as well. Maybe an annual art festival at Trailblazer Park?

Old 05-26-2014, 10:32 AM

276 posts, read 171,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
We haven't tried the new brewery, but since they don't serve food, it doesn't appeal to me as much. I'm past the point where I want to just sit and drink beer.
For what it's worth, there is almost always a food truck out back. They also allow carry out from Shortfields* or Whistle Stop.

*Which has the best sports bar in TR

Old 05-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen any mention of the new Trailblazer Park in TR. It is on the site of the old high school. The Farmer's Market is suddenly way bigger and nicer than before, with about 50 vendors. There is a new open-air pavilion for the vendors. Also in the park is a natural amphitheater carved into the hillside with a nice stage. They have FREE music every Saturday night with a variety of performers all summer long. Food trucks sell food for dinner if you're so inclined.
I had no idea there was a park there now. That's very cool. I'll be dragging the family back up there next weekend, and will be sure to check it out. Saturday night free music? I'll take that anytime.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:17 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,990,494 times
The Trailside Creamery business is for sale. I hope that whoever buys it is able to keep the business at least as good as it was.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:31 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,833,749 times
Quote:
What does TR need? Independent businesses seem to mostly involve food and drink. It's hard for other businesses to compete with the big box chains for business. There is a fledgling art community trying to get started; that would be good for the area as well. Maybe an annual art festival at Trailblazer Park?
I guess the answer to that question largely depends on where you want the town to go. The main thing that has held population growth in check north of Greenville has been access. There is no way to quickly access downtown Greenville or the interstate from TR. Both Poinsett Hwy and White Horse Road are full of red lights with no effort put forth to coordinate those lights to work together. The ~10 mile drive from TR to downtown Greenville can easily take 25 minutes.

Just look at Simpsonville before I-385. There was almost nothing there. Once I-385 opened and made the Simpsonville area more accessible, the area grew very, very quickly. The area around TR is pretty - if accessibility was improved, I bet significant growth would occur.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:59 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,086,219 times
I was in TR this afternoon on a photo shoot and noticed the Whistle Stop Cafe. Was wondering if anyone had any reviews on it. Looks like an interesting and very popular spot!

I did notice a lot of traffic moving through town, and several were not obeying the speed limit.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I was in TR this afternoon on a photo shoot and noticed the Whistle Stop Cafe. Was wondering if anyone had any reviews on it. Looks like an interesting and very popular spot!

I did notice a lot of traffic moving through town, and several were not obeying the speed limit.
They have good burgers there, and their salad is really good with lots of tasty stuff in it. I haven't been there often enough to critique it. I kind of wish they had a more to offer on the menu. It has a pretty cozy atmosphere. My kids love to watch the train go around the main room.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:24 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,990,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I've been there 3 times - great Pizza (wood fired), and the other 2 meals were good. Plan for a few minutes to wander around looking at all the memorabilia and pictures on the wall.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:27 PM

19,391 posts, read 17,100,106 times
Default Travelers Rest traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinphilly View Post
Yesterday I had lunch at the Whistle Stop. I actually had trouble finding it with all of the new growth. My wife and I were scanning the side of the road looking for a building with a train on it. Only trouble we had were the speed hounds behind us that really badly wanted to do 50 in a 35. As I was trying to find the restaurant, I had another driver dangerously close to my bumper -- presumably because I was only driving 30 or so trying to find our destination -- WITH my signal on.

That's a problem TR has now and probably will have into the future as far as I can see. Coming from Greenville you slow from 55 to 45 and the other way you go from 45 to 35. No one seems to want to do the speed limit, and so far, I haven't seen the police enforce the speed limits. This is a real problem along Main St where families are walking, bikers are riding, etc. Traffic control seriously needs to be addressed.
Quote:
Traffic, and access to Asheville is going to be a problem. It seems odd to me that Spartanburg got the interstate, not Greenville. There is a lot of truck traffic on 25, moving goods to and from Asheville. Luckily, (or wise planning) the traffic is mostly on 25, carrying it away from down town TR. There will always be traffic on Maint St., as 276 goes on up to Marietta and beyond to the mountains. Main St. should probably be 25 MPH in the congested part, and devise some way to better slow traffic approaching the town.
Traffic northwest of Travelers Rest toward Slater and Marietta will increase. Many people want to be closer to the mountains and away from the congestion.

An opportunity was missed to better facilitate traffic through Travelers Rest. A parallel road to South Main Street should have been constructed. This road would be a two-lane one-way facility with street side parking. South Main Street would be the same way. The end result is having United States 276 maintain four lanes of through traffic through better organization and traffic calming measures.

Constructing a new four lane bypass west of Travelers Rest for United States 276 is doable. It is a costly option not worth considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area