U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 04:08 PM

10 posts, read 11,597 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea where I might begin to look for a short term rental in Simpsonville, Greer, Fountain Inn, Mauldin or Greenville in a very safe area?

We are moving from out of state due to my husband's job and anticipate being ready to buy actually within only a couple of months, but could sign up to a 6 month lease if necessary. We just need something for a few months while we look for a home to purchase and for our home to sell (we anticipate it will sell fairly quickly).

We also have three dogs and a cat. One dog is very small (10 pounds), but the other two are labs who spend most of their time outside so we also need a home with a fenced yard! All of the animals are well-trained and well-behaved.

We need either a four bedroom or a three bedroom w/bonus room that could be used as a fourth bedroom.

We would really like to be moved in by around mid-June, so any and all help and info is much appreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 04:31 PM

11,465 posts, read 25,689,905 times
Welcome to Greenville I'm going to say your best bet is going to be Craigslist. We had to do the same thing when we moved here with 2 big dogs and one small dog. Many times, the big dogs can be an issue. Luckily we found a short term rental on CL with a wonderful landlord. She rescued dogs and understood how important our dogs were to us. Just be careful in screening the landlord. Don't mail any money, all the things you have to do anyhow.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2014, 05:02 PM

691 posts, read 743,714 times
We are fairly new to the area(Greenville), and were able to find a 6 month lease in an apartment complex. With that said, I wish I would have only looked at a gated community or a rental with a garage. We have neither, and our catalytic converter was stolen off our car. It was a BIG headache. I highly advise renting for 6 months to a year until you really get a feel for the area.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 PM

10 posts, read 11,597 times
Beckycat, did you actually find one advertising with a 6 month lease or was that something that you negotiated with the landlord? Everything I've found on CL so far is asking for a 1 year lease.

Lv2trvl, what areas do you recommend? We've been looking to purchase in the Five Forks area, as we heard that area was very nice and our daughter will be in school in that area, but the subdivision Weatherstone has some really nice houses with what seem to be better prices than some subdivisions in Five Forks.

Thanks so much for your replies!

Old 05-27-2014, 05:27 AM

For US, I think we will ulimately live in Simpsonville or Five Forks area. Time will tell. We will not be making a permanent move for 2 years. We are moving out of our apartment soon, but, will then be house sitting for our son and DIL in their Greenville condo(gated). They will be in Europe for work.

Welcome to the area. Overall, I think you will love it.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 AM

38 posts, read 39,980 times
We rented short term at Azalea Hill Apartments off Verdae in Greenville. We found it to be quite nice and seemed very safe to me. We never had any issues with our vehicle or the neighbors. They will do short term leases (I think 3 month is the starting point), they allow pets and they will even arrange a fully furnished apartment including utilities. We did a 4-month lease furnished. We stored our furniture and having the utilities included meant no hassles setting everything up and then stopping service when we moved into our home. Not sure how far that would be from the Five Forks area. We moved to Taylors and with traffic, it would take 25 minutes from the apartment to the house. Good luck in your search and welcome to the area!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:36 AM

11,465 posts, read 25,689,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmypath View Post
Beckycat, did you actually find one advertising with a 6 month lease or was that something that you negotiated with the landlord? Everything I've found on CL so far is asking for a 1 year lease.

Lv2trvl, what areas do you recommend? We've been looking to purchase in the Five Forks area, as we heard that area was very nice and our daughter will be in school in that area, but the subdivision Weatherstone has some really nice houses with what seem to be better prices than some subdivisions in Five Forks.

Thanks so much for your replies!
It was listed for 1 year and she was pretty firm on that. We still asked to do 6 months. We asked to look at the house and met the landlord. She liked us and agreed to a 6 month lease. After 2 1/2 months, we ended up buying a house. (sooner than we anticipated) She let us get out of the lease as long as we gave her 6 weeks to find a new tenant. We offered to help find a new tenant and were very cooperative in showing the house. We found a new tenant about a month later. It worked out well for all of us.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the landlord did increase the rent by $50/mo due to the fact that she decreased the lease to 6 months. You may have to pay a little more monthly than they originally ask. You can also use that as a selling point.

Last edited by beckycat; 05-27-2014 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny50 View Post
We rented short term at Azalea Hill Apartments off Verdae in Greenville. We found it to be quite nice and seemed very safe to me. We never had any issues with our vehicle or the neighbors. They will do short term leases (I think 3 month is the starting point), they allow pets and they will even arrange a fully furnished apartment including utilities. We did a 4-month lease furnished. We stored our furniture and having the utilities included meant no hassles setting everything up and then stopping service when we moved into our home. Not sure how far that would be from the Five Forks area. We moved to Taylors and with traffic, it would take 25 minutes from the apartment to the house. Good luck in your search and welcome to the area!
EXCELLENT location, and suggestion. I forgot about this place, but, I do remember you sharing the information with me. To make a long story short, we were very naive upon moving here, even though we are retirement age, lol. We wanted to be within walking distance of Downtown, the Swamp Rabbit Trail, and the appeal of being within 2 miles of our son was attractive. However, this puts us on the fringe of the less than desirable area. NOW, my advice to newcomers is rent a year, and live in a gated or garaged community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It was listed for 1 year and she was pretty firm on that. We still asked to do 6 months. We asked to look at the house and met the landlord. She liked us and agreed to a 6 month lease. After 2 1/2 months, we ended up buying a house. (sooner than we anticipated) She let us get out of the lease as long as we gave her 6 weeks to find a new tenant. We offered to help find a new tenant and were very cooperative in showing the house. We found a new tenant about a month later. It worked out well for all of us.
Becky, you were VERY fortunate to have a landlord like this. I would not say this is common place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or