U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:54 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,639,280 times

Advertisements

I am confused about the Farmer's Market here; I went very often to the one in Raleigh- what a fantastic place! There were many different local farms represented, and even in the dead of winter there was produce available, although it might just be sweet potatoes that were stored over the winter. I went last Saturday to the one here, and there was just G and G vendors, and nothing local except for strawberries and green onions. Where were the broccoli and asparagus, not to mention lettuce? There was a whole other building that was empty except for some plants for sale. I thought there would be meat, eggs, baked goods. Do more farmers participate later in the season? I know there is the downtown farmer's market but I don't always have availability on Sat. morning. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:47 PM

3,443 posts, read 5,338,778 times
The State Farmers Market was quite a disappointment when we moved here as well. We've only been twice when there was even anyone in the back section (where the farmers are), and it was mostly canned goods or people with food from their gardens (at least that what it seemed to be). We rarely go there unless we are in the area for some reason, where we make a point of getting downtown most weeks.

Honestly, you're better off going to Swamp Rabbit Grocery for those kinds of things if you can't make it to the downtown farmers market, and there's a decent little market in the Whole Foods parking lot on Tuesdays.

That said, at the downtown market there was very little local broccoli this week (it was the first harvest for those that did have a little), and I'm not sure I've seen asparagus yet.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the advice. I just found about about the one at Whole Foods- might try that tomorrow. I haven't been to Swamp Rabbit Grocery- will try that too. I don't want to be one of those people who says it was better where they came from, but I so miss my Farmer's Market!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,154,926 times
Definitely try to make the one downtown if you can. They had tons of lettuce this past weekend. Of course they have some baked goods and various creations. The live music always creates a nice atmosphere. If you're a Coffee drinker, West End Coffee Co has a booth for you to pick up beans or grounds and a cup of fresh joe.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 PM

10,062 posts, read 19,932,567 times
I just go to the grocery store. :/

Old 05-26-2014, 10:57 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,443,468 times
The one in travelers rest on Saturday mornings has come a long way. I'd try it out. It's more of a tailgate market in terms of size but it has a decent amount of stuff. Worth trying once to see if you like it.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:39 AM

Thanks- the problem is these markets are only on Sat. Morning; not optimal for me. I'll see what the one at Whole Foods is like.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:06 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,527,792 times
BRB, the best farmer's market in the Greenville area is the TD Saturday Market downtown - I've been going for years and each year it gets bigger (I was amazed at how big it was last year). It opens a little later (and stays open longer, 8:30am-12:30pm) than in previous years. Unfortunately, you do need to get there somewhat early as some vendors will sell out (pasta, local meats, etc) - but, I've gone many times after 10am and was still able to get great, local produce.

I was in Greensboro several weekends ago for a swim meet - there, they have a permanent Farmer's Market site, open daily - Greenville needs this.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:30 AM

Raleigh's Farmer's Market is huge and open daily, as well. I knew the one here would be smaller but it is almost non-existent. When reading about Greenville, before we moved, I was so happy to see there were Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and everything else we needed, including a Farmer's Market, but that is the one thing lacking. At any rate, I'll report back on the Whole Foods one. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:17 AM

469 posts, read 424,354 times
There just aren't that many traditional produce farms left in the local area. When you do see large fields of vegetables, chances are good that the farmer has a contract with a broker who is selling the crop to a big box outfit like Bi-Lo or Wally World. The majority of locally grown produce never goes near a local Farmer's Market. An increasingly rare few small farmers still sell their crops there and we do shop their offerings, trying to support them. I wish the GFM was more active and vibrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or