U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM

97 posts, read 117,184 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I know this topic has been posted once in while but I have not been able to find too many answers.

I was curious where some good spots are to go fishing in the upstate, specifically the Greenville area for those that don't have boats. Of course most ponds are private property so that leaves smaller public lake access and rivers.

Any suggestions would be most appreciative.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 AM

692 posts, read 1,063,065 times
My house. My dock on my little cove on Lake Greenwood is arguably one of the best fishing spots on the lake.

But that's a bit of a drive from Greenville...

What kind of fishing are you wanting to do? Are you going for trout, bass, catfish, bream..? Are you sport fishing, fishing for dinner, or just want to kick back with a beer and let your bobber float?

There is fishing allowed at Table Rock and Paris Mountain. Along E Tyger Bridge Rd, there used to be a nice spot where you could fish down below the bridge, but I don't know if it's still there or even accessible. There is fishing at any number of places north of Marietta as you get closer to NC. You can always head down to Keowee, Jocassee, or Hartwell. I'm not sure if you can still fish off Saluda Dam Rd, but that may be an option for you. Also along the Saluda River, you can fish at the park in Ware Shoals, or off/below either bridge at Maddox Bridge Rd, or Erwin Mill Rd. You can fish at Boyd Millpond, which is also near Ware Shoals.

Those are a few potential options for you. I'm sure someone else will have more.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:47 PM

Eric better not be too friendly or I'll end up at your door with my fishing pole! I enjoy bass fishing most but also really like panfishing for brem/crappy. Nothing beats a light action rod with crickets or minnows or even an artificial like a beetle spin. Those 8 oz fish feel like wales! Cat fishing on the bottom is another favorite past time of mine. I'm strictly catch and release.

These are some great suggestions. I had forgotten about Paris Mountain so I'll possibly have to check that out. Also I mapped that East Tyger Bride Rd, It appears that creek stems form Lake Robinson. Seems like a hot spot but not sure if it would be easy to find parking and how hard it would be to get down there.

On that topic is there any public access to Lake Robinson? Ware Shoals and some of the others are probably a bit too far. I really appreciate the suggestions. This will certainly help in my hunt.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:27 PM

692 posts, read 1,063,065 times
There is public access to Lake Robinson off Groce Meadow Rd. That would probably be a pretty good spot for you, but I don't know how frequented the public access pier might be. Another one I forgot about is Lake Rabon, but it's likely a bit of a drive for you.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:05 AM

73 posts, read 80,072 times
You may be interested in a free fishing event that is going on Sat, the 31st at the Tyger River with demos and vendors.
Check out Tyger River Foundation | Non-Profit Conservation Organization | Greenville, Spartanburg, Upstate SC

Old 05-28-2014, 06:23 AM

Oh sweet this looks awesome and not far from my house. I'm definitely going to go out there Saturday. I'm really glad you posted this. Thanks rrb!

Old 05-28-2014, 06:36 AM

193 posts, read 197,550 times
Nice spots already mentioned here and with the addition of a sit-inside kayak and a few rod holders you would be set.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 AM

631 posts, read 877,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinphilly View Post
My house. My dock on my little cove on Lake Greenwood is arguably one of the best fishing spots on the lake.

But that's a bit of a drive from Greenville...

What kind of fishing are you wanting to do? Are you going for trout, bass, catfish, bream..? Are you sport fishing, fishing for dinner, or just want to kick back with a beer and let your bobber float?

There is fishing allowed at Table Rock and Paris Mountain. Along E Tyger Bridge Rd, there used to be a nice spot where you could fish down below the bridge, but I don't know if it's still there or even accessible. There is fishing at any number of places north of Marietta as you get closer to NC. You can always head down to Keowee, Jocassee, or Hartwell. I'm not sure if you can still fish off Saluda Dam Rd, but that may be an option for you. Also along the Saluda River, you can fish at the park in Ware Shoals, or off/below either bridge at Maddox Bridge Rd, or Erwin Mill Rd. You can fish at Boyd Millpond, which is also near Ware Shoals.

Those are a few potential options for you. I'm sure someone else will have more.

I'll take you up on that offer. Been to Greenwood and on Lake Greenwood before. My 5 yo would love that...

Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 AM

99 posts, read 170,759 times
Lake Robinson and Lake Cunningham are close by and both have public piers.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:34 AM

I found some pics of Lake Cunningham and man it looks like it has some pretty nice fishing spots. From the maps it appears to be very close to Lake Robinson. Thanks for the tip DJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or