U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:24 AM

5,891 posts, read 11,083,086 times

Advertisements

All I know is that there are more chains and way more supermarkets within a short drive of home than I ever had when living in Illinois. I'm beyond thrilled as whenever I think of something I need, there's usually a store close by or between me and home. I have no complaints except that I don't like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's both being on Woodruff Road. Traffic has gotten to be such a nightmare there that I rarely shop at either (but would like to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 09:20 PM

19,380 posts, read 17,079,986 times
Default Pelham Place is for Sale

Pelham Place is listed for sale.

Delhaize, the parent of the defunct Bloom chain, remains signed to a long-term lease in the 38,003 square feet grocery space. The space was previously Bloom #2727, which closed in 2012.

Further reading:
Jackson, Sherry. "Listed: Pelham Place." Upstate Business Journal. 2015-06-02.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:13 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,727,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Pelham Place is listed for sale.

Delhaize, the parent of the defunct Bloom chain, remains signed to a long-term lease in the 38,003 square feet grocery space. The space was previously Bloom #2727, which closed in 2012.

Further reading:
Jackson, Sherry. "Listed: Pelham Place." Upstate Business Journal. 2015-06-02.
I read where Lidl was going to build 36,000 sq ft on the property they were trying to get rezoned on Woodruff without success so far. Seems like these old Bloom locations would be a good fit for them. Good luck getting a traditional grocer like Ingles, Publix, Teeter interested in that small of a space.

Also, with the center being 94 percent leased looks like they would have better luck sub dividing the former Bloom into smaller spaces.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM

Pelham Place is a good location for a supermarket. Bloom/Food Lion was not the right supermarket. If the adjacent Pelham Falls retail center along North Batesville Road was acquired and demolished with Bloom #2727, you would have the space for building a new Publix or Harris Teeter.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM

586 posts, read 687,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Pelham Place is a good location for a supermarket. Bloom/Food Lion was not the right supermarket. If the adjacent Pelham Falls retail center along North Batesville Road was acquired and demolished with Bloom #2727, you would have the space for building a new Publix or Harris Teeter.
Tying that altogether into one shopping center would certainly improve the curb appeal. Despite the lack of a major anchor at that intersection, most of the other retail/restaurants seem to do good business. It could be a good location for Harris Teeter. I doubt Publix would go in there unless it was to fend off the competition. They are probably already getting most of that business anyways at the 2 stores on Woodruff and one Batesville & The Parkway.

There is a small movement by people in that area to try and get a grocer to come in. Petition Pelham Place Shopping Center Petition I do question the claim about people driving all the way to Wade Hampton Blvd to get groceries.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:43 PM

Publix and other stores in adjacent trade areas are getting business from households and businesses in the Pelham-Batesville community because there are no immediate options available. The growth in the trade area will grow densely with additional communities surrounding Pelham Medical Center and Abner Creek Road.

I can understand people around Riverside schools and South Highway 14 driving to West Wade Hampton Boulevard for the necessities of food and pharmacy.

A supermarket providing the necessities of food and pharmacy would succeed at Pelham Place or a retail center nearby Pelham Medical Center.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:09 PM

RealOp Investments has purchased Pelham Place for $5,825,000. Pelham Place is 57,158 total square feet of retail space. It includes the former Bloom #2727 that is 38,003 square feet.

Further reading:
Burns, Michael. "Pelham Place snatches high price." The Greenville News. 2015-09-30.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:20 AM

99 posts, read 170,694 times
I disagree with the term "food desert" being applied to a high demographic area where it's safe to assume most every person of driving age in every household has a vehicle, ie easy acess to all those existing grocery stores that are a whole 2 or 3 or 4 miles away. Stores they likely pass anyway on the way to or from work/school/gym/mall/etc. Doing so waters down what's an actual problem: people who by necessity have to choose between schlepping a couple heavy bags of healthy groceries a long, weary way via foot or bike or whatever OR going the convenience store/fast food/crap route.

I'm not against development, not at all, and I'm not against healthy competition. But does our car-centric community really need a 70k-sq-ft grocery store (w/all that adjacent pavement) within a three-minute drive of every single residental neighborhood? Two drugstores every couple miles along every major corridor?

Old 10-01-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGreer View Post
I disagree with the term "food desert" being applied to a high demographic area where it's safe to assume most every person of driving age in every household has a vehicle, ie easy acess to all those existing grocery stores that are a whole 2 or 3 or 4 miles away. Stores they likely pass anyway on the way to or from work/school/gym/mall/etc. Doing so waters down what's an actual problem: people who by necessity have to choose between schlepping a couple heavy bags of healthy groceries a long, weary way via foot or bike or whatever OR going the convenience store/fast food/crap route.

I'm not against development, not at all, and I'm not against healthy competition. But does our car-centric community really need a 70k-sq-ft grocery store (w/all that adjacent pavement) within a three-minute drive of every single residental neighborhood? Two drugstores every couple miles along every major corridor?
The Pelham-Batesville trade area is affluent enough and growing densely in population where both a supermarket and a pharmacy would succeed. Although Food Lion/Bloom #2727 failed for other reasons, it was smart to locate in the trade area. I do not know if Bi-Lo, Ingle's, and Publix have considered the trade area for possible stores.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:57 AM

158 posts, read 80,914 times
Post Highway 14 needs a grocer

Whatever you want to call it, Highway 14 is devoid of a grocer or drugstore between Woodruff and the split with Buncombe Rd. Save for the restaurants at Pelham and 14 it's just a few gas stations and fast food joints (sorry, I forgot the recent addition of Dollar General, yawn). Someone is missing an opportunity not having a store at Pelham & 14 or directly across from Pelham medical center. The traffic that corridor gets along with all of the new and upcoming residents (Redcroft) could easily support a full size grocer and drugstore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area