U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 06:22 PM

16 posts, read 23,530 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear some opinions on the local Catholic Elementary Schools. I hear wonderful things about St. Joseph's High School but haven't heard many opinions on the various Catholic Elementary Schools in the area. I would appreciate any feedback!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 10:31 PM

19,380 posts, read 17,079,986 times
Default Catholic schools in Greenville County, South Carolina

I am unable to recommend a catholic school; however, there are some worth considering:

Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic School
3710 Augusta Road
Greenville, SC 29605-1335
<http://www.olrschool.net/>
Kindergarten (age four years) through eighth grade

Prince of Peace Catholic School
1209 Brushy Creek Road
Taylors, SC 29687-4103
<http://www.popcatholicschool.org/>
Kindergarten (age four years) through eighth grade

Saint Anthony of Padua Catholic School
307 Gower Street
Greenville, SC 29611-4930
<http://www.newstanthony.com/>
Kindergarten (age three years) through sixth grade

Saint Joseph's Catholic School
100 Saint Joseph's Drive
Greenville, SC 29607-3795
<http://www.sjcatholicschool.org/index.php>
Sixth through 12th grades

Saint Mary's Catholic School
101 Hampton Avenue
Greenville, SC 29601-1928
<http://www.stmarysgvl.org/theschool/>
Kindergarten (age three) through eighth grade

Saint Mary Magdalene Catholic Preschool
2252 Woodruff Road
Simpsonville, SC 29681-5438
<http://smmcp.org/page.asp?page=home>
Kindergarten (ages two through five years)

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 05-29-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,526,803 times
I've heard nothing but good reviews re St. Mary's, downtown Greenville - in fact, I've considered this option for my children (instead of public school) - St. Mary's tuition is more reasonable than Christ Church Episcopal School (probably the best private school in the Upstate).

Old 05-30-2014, 09:22 AM

39 posts, read 103,238 times
Default Feedback on Catholic School Option in Upstate

Hi All
Having been a graduate(12 years) of Catholic school education and having lived in an area outside Philly which had a good supply of top quality private catholic and parish supported catholic schools I am partial to their existence.
With that said, I am sorry to say I have no first hand experience with the local Catholic schools but can offer some feedback from neighbors in our simpsonville area who send their children to 2 schools.
-- St Mary's downtown comes highly recommended from neighbors who children have gone and still go there. Quality of education and spirit of the education they feel are top notch
--Our Lady of the Rosary- Both sets of parents who children went there raved about it, esp the pastor and teachers.
Both are kind of a trip from our simpsonville area so I have to defer to the parents keeping the children in those schools that must have seen that the education received was worth the sacrifices for time and money (since neither are close to where we live and can be pricey)

With that said, In my opinion the size of St. Mary Magdalene in Simpsonville I believe is ripe for opening an elementary school k-8 at some time in future. The growth of the area I feel warrants it.
I know it does not help the OP but wanted to put that out there how I felt.

I hope you make the best decision you can on education. I am a proponent of catholic education. I came from an area in which we were spoiled by top notch schools (Public/Private/Parochial) by the handful in our metro area of Philly so coming here(our kids were past HS school age when moving here) did seem like a shock that the number of parochial schools were few and not close by.

But if I had to educate my children down here and could swing the tuition I would choose those 2 schools with Prince of Peace a close 3rd.

I just keep hoping in this southern part of G'ville county we get a school.

Anyway, my two cents from my discussions with neighbors about their choices of Catholic schools.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,969 times
You might also want to try St. Joseph School in Anderson but it might be too far to commute.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 PM

148 posts, read 166,271 times
We relocated to Greenville last August and my younger daughter just finished up her first year at St. Mary's in downtown Greenville (4th grade). Prior to this, she had attended a top-rated public school in the Northeast.

We had a great year at St. Mary's. It is an academically rigorous school but also has a warm, caring environment and lots of dedicated teachers. One neat thing they did was send the kids "up" to the middle school once per week for either math lab or science lab. These labs were taught by the middle school math and science teachers and my daughter really enjoyed them. They used an interdisciplinary curriculum called "Why America is Free" for their colonial unit; it was very hands on and culminated in a big event on Patriot's Day. Outside of the classroom, my daughter participated in the school chorus and took ukulele lessons. In the winter, she also participated in the basketball league that is affiliated with the school/church.

No school is perfect, and if I had any complaint it would be about the class sizes. The school only has one class per grade, so my daughter's class had 30 students in it. My daughter is an independent learner and she did fine with the larger class, but we were used to 22 students in our former public school. When I pay tuition, I want smaller not larger class sizes than public schools. And, as we head towards middle school, I wonder about the opposite issue - will a very small grade get stifling?

I will also mention that St. Mary's church and the school are conservative. Personally, I have some discomfort with it (I consider myself fiscally conservative but socially liberal), but I think most would expect it at a Catholic School.

And, finally, just a note that St. Mary's runs from pre-K to grade 8. We are considering staying at St. Mary's for Middle School but will also visit/evaluate St. Joseph's since they have both a middle and high school.

Hope this info helps!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:35 AM

1,738 posts, read 799,642 times
I have heard good things about St. Mary's for elementary school and St. Joseph for middle and high school.

We almost went to Christchurch when my daughter needed a school in 2nd grade when the previous school she was with ( Palmetto Prep) unexpectedly closed. But we found the class sizes bigger than we liked and the school administration were a bit snotty. Luckily the parents and teachers of the former Palmetto Prep opened a new school called Carolina Prep ( we were also part of it) and my daughter joined that. It is an excellent school with small class sizes and excellent individual attention. The academic curriculum is tough but the school consistently scores in the top 3 % percentile in ITBS testing given all over USA. The fees are comparable to other private schools and less than Christchurch.

We were about to enroll her in St. Joseph for middle school ( Carolina Prep is only up till 5th grade) but when my wife went on open night the principal spoke a bit derogatorily about the adjoining public high school ( JL Mann). Why they do that, I do not know. Anyway, my wife did not want my daughter to go there.

Luckily we have found admissions in the new Penny Fisher STEM school as well as the Sterling school for gifted children. The latter could not have come about without the wonderful education she had at Carolina Prep.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:17 PM

16 posts, read 23,530 times
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I would love to hear anything else anyone has to had. Such a tough decision!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 AM

22 posts, read 31,454 times
Hi!!

I have two kids enrolled in St. Mary's and one in St. Joseph's. Coming from a public school in the northeast I can tell you that the work is much more challenging...no comparison, actually. My daughter was a 90 student in NY, and is quite overwhelmed with the level of work. With that being said, with hard work and dedication, we believe she will rise. The staff, so far, seems loving and willing to help. The school is immaculate. I will have to agree with one of the other comments, the church is extremely conservative. (I am socially and fiscally conservative!) My little guy seems to be struggling as the 1st grade curriculum is rigorous. (He has two quizzes his second week of school.) My 10th grader is thrilled beyond belief at St. Joseph's. He LOVES his teachers and his playing JV football (has never played football). A couple of the football coaches are his teachers and they are amazing. I guess the best way I can describe it is to say that they make my son feel like he matters. For us, the tuition is a huge financial sacrifice but worth it in more ways than simply academics. Be prepared to pay for many extras, too!
Good luck and God bless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area