U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 AM

14 posts, read 15,473 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback on why some people can not host. Much appreciated.

These students come on JI visas. Particularly since 9/11, it is more strict for students to obtain these visas - they are carefully screened, interviewed, etc. Likewise, host families must have background checks done. There is concern for safety on both sides.

It is understandable that some host families may prefer one sex over the other. We have both male and female students that seek a homestay family. If a family only wants one sex, that is fine.

These students are usually very studious, focused, and academic minded. They are here with a purpose - to learn English, usually to get a masters degree or even PhD in the USA. Many have already been accepted into the masters or Phd program, pending their English being proficient enough.

The pay of $685 a month is to help compensate for the extra expenses a family will have - primarily gasoline, extra food, and increased utility bills. Depending on each family's particular circumstances, they may or may not have some money left over to pocket.

It is not ultimately about money. We look for people who have a heart for hospitality. It is about welcoming someone, sharing the American way of life, learning about another culture yourself, making a new friend which may become life-long, and promoting international peace and understanding.

By the way, when you host a high school exchange student, it is for free. No pay at all. I've had 9 high school exchange students live with me. At least with these ESL (english second language) students, there is financial compensation. I've had several of the ESL students live with me.

Thanks again for the replies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Oh - I failed to answer one question. The length of time a student is with a family is variable - typically it is between 1 month to 5 months. 3 months would be average or most common.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:27 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,228,603 times
Where is there info regarding this school/program? Any website or link? Just wondering if it is affiliated with a similar place here in NY that a neighbor has housed students in the past.

Last edited by loribell38; 08-10-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 12:53 PM

Hi loribell38, the school is ELS. Discover ELS Language Schools ELS Courses for Learning English - ELS

It does have many locations - maybe you could describe it as a "chain" English school. Ours is in University Center in Greenville.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:21 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,228,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurahomestay View Post
Hi loribell38, the school is ELS. Discover ELS Language Schools ELS Courses for Learning English - ELS

It does have many locations - maybe you could describe it as a "chain" English school. Ours is in University Center in Greenville.
Thanks! Then it is the same as they said location was Garden City here in NY. They both said they had great experience & had no problems. Lucky as you never know what you are really getting into these days.

Good Luck!

Old 08-11-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Thanks! Then it is the same as they said location was Garden City here in NY. They both said they had great experience & had no problems. Lucky as you never know what you are really getting into these days.

Good Luck!
Thanks. I've been involved in different ways with international students since 1997. I have never personally experienced (nor heard of) the problems some people worry about - like molestation, stealing, etc.

The majority of host experiences are overwhelmingly positive. When there are problems (minority of time) it is generally something like a student being a bit demanding - expecting more of the host family than is required or reasonable. A good school/organization will assist you if you have a problem with a student.

The ESL students I seek homes for are usually very studious, serious, and academic minded. A family agrees to house the student for 4 weeks at a time, and a family is never stuck with a student. Support is provided to the families and students.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 447 times
Default still searching for host families?

Hello Laura:

I wanted to know if you still work with local host families in Greenville area.

Thanks

SAra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area