U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:20 PM

14 posts, read 15,573 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am Laura the homestay coordinator for a local English language school in Greenville. These students are mature young adults, usually in their 20's (not teenagers), and learning English to pursue advanced university degrees in the USA - such as the Clemson MBA program. Living with an American family helps their English improve faster.

There are responsibilities for the family, such as: providing the student with a private bedroom in your home, providing breakfast and dinner each day, and driving the student to and from the school Monday - Friday.

However, there is financial compensation of $685 a month.

All family members age 18 or over in the home must pass a background check, $35 fee.

Many types of people can host: singles, couples with or without kids, retired, etc. Learn about a new culture, make a new friend, show hospitality...

Message me for further details. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 PM

It is very difficult to find host families. I've had over 20 international students of different types live with me over the years (high school exchange, young adult ESL students, university students). We enjoy it and can't understand why there is so little interest in hosting.

If you have never hosted, why not? What most concerns you? What prohibits you? Seeking feedback.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:38 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,655,868 times
Dysfunctional family realtionships? Obligation to drive to and from school every day? If not for those I coud be interested.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

With high school exchange students, they take the school bus to school so that responsibility is not there.

However, with the ESL hosting, the driving to and from school is a big responsibility - which I understand some people can't do as it may clash with their own work schedule, etc.

If anyone lives near the GreenLink bus line, the student taking it to and from school is a possibility.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:11 PM

Hi, I started the thread. I am still looking for host families. For example, I have a young man (age 22) from China arriving 8/24. He will be perfecting his English before beginning an MBA program - likely with Clemson. Feel free to contact me with any questions about hosting. Laura

Old 08-09-2014, 11:53 AM

128 posts, read 142,037 times
Just to clarify, the transportation needs to be to Clemson SC, or is it to CU-ICAR?
If you get the student to the GreenLink bus line, does he/she already have a pass?

How long do the students stay: one year, or the school year?

Old 08-10-2014, 12:35 AM

1,983 posts, read 3,461,382 times
The problem is between gas, food, and extra utilities, you aren't paying enough. Not to mention the fact that few people with young children already in home would want a 22yo male stranger coming to live with them. So that rules out a good chuck of people right there.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:13 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,655,868 times
There are a lot of empty nesters here as well, though, and for them it could be an adventure and an interesting experience.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:20 AM

6,238 posts, read 18,200,709 times
No room at the inn? All of our bedrooms are being used by family members. With the level of poverty in this state, people can't afford to have extra bedrooms laying around!

Old 08-10-2014, 12:17 PM

Hi, sorry for any confusion. In the post that started the thread, the English school is in Greenville, SC. But more specifically, it is located in University Center on the corner of East Antrim and Pleasantburg Drive. Students learn and perfect their English at the English school. Most have academic goals after this to obtain master's degrees in the USA. Studying at the Greenville location, many are headed for university's in the southeast - Clemson being common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area