Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 11:41 AM

30 posts, read 39,212 times

Advertisements

Are there any electronics parts stores (like Fry's) in or around Greenville?

Looking for a place that would have things beyond what Bestbuy or Radio Shack might, like Antenna amplifiers, electronics parts and supplies (like soldering irons, components, computer parts), wire and heat shrink, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 12:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,744 times
Nothing exactly like Fry's or ultra hobbyist supplies, but there are several with a related line:

Harley's Electronics (Spartanburg)
Norfolk Wire & Electronics (Greenville) They carry a lot more electronics-type of gear than they used to.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 PM

690 posts, read 1,146,622 times
You can always check with Computer Direct Outlet. Been a few years since I've been there so not sure what they might have.

Norfolk is a good place. There is another place off Garlington - Graybar and another one (can't remember the name) that might have supplies as well.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:06 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
I never have found anyone local with a good selection of discreet components, but Newark has a warehouse close by, and I'm always surprised by how quickly they ship.

Newark element14 | Electronic Components Distributor

Old 05-31-2014, 06:22 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I never have found anyone local with a good selection of discreet components, but Newark has a warehouse close by, and I'm always surprised by how quickly they ship.
I believe their warehouse is in Gaffney, and if that warehouse has it in stock, a UPS ground shipment arrives the next day.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
I believe their warehouse is in Gaffney, and if that warehouse has it in stock, a UPS ground shipment arrives the next day.
I think you're correct. ... I knew they were close, and yea they always seem to be next day for ground.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:52 AM

30 posts, read 39,212 times
Great info on Newark! Thanks!

Old 06-01-2014, 05:16 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
There are not many local stores that carry TV antennas and amplifiers. And stores such as Radioshack and Best Buy are overpriced on these items. For this market, a good High VHF/UHF antenna is best for TV reception. Medium sized models that are ideal designed are Antennacraft HBU-33 or Winegard 7696. Radioshack sells the larger HBU-55, although it is lower priced from online vendors such as Solid Signal. The Clearstream 2V from Antennas Direct is a good compact UHF antenna with a VHF dipole. Sold at Walmart and Best Buy. Best choices for preamplifiers are Winegard LNA-200, Channel Master 7778, and a RCA preamp from Walmart .com or Amazon which is a decent performer and the most affordable option. Free Walmart shipping to store. And there is a cheap RCA inline amp at Walmart for $15 which can be used indoors. If you try one of those flat panel indoor antennas, the Winegard Flatwave amplified version will perform better than the Mohu which is weaker on VHF. And 13 is a problematic VHF signal. There is also an Alphaline branded version of the Winegard Flatwave at Sears and Kmart, but the best price on the Flatwave amped antenna is at Costco. For an indoor antenna, the Terk HDTVa Log antenna at HHG is best, as it has the rabbit ears for VHF, as well as a good UHF element. But ask them to price match Amazon. Also, Newark, as mentioned previously, has a sister company in Ohio, MCM Electronics, which has a much wider and cheaper selection of TV antennas and amplifiers. See MCM online site to order. But I recommend a good outdoor or attic antenna and amplifier for more reliable reception, which will guarantee stable reception of the local channels, as well as several Charlotte channels such as WBTV-3.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:14 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,789 times
Yeah, Newark sent me some bad power supplies (twice). They let me exchange them but it was a hassle and delay.

Adafruit and Maker magazine has some good references too.

A few of the things you can get at Home Depot and Lowe's electrical aisle(wire, some parts, tools).

Amazon might surprise you, too, as a lot of the independents can list stuff there for sale now.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Yeah, Newark sent me some bad power supplies (twice). They let me exchange them but it was a hassle and delay.

Adafruit and Maker magazine has some good references too.

A few of the things you can get at Home Depot and Lowe's electrical aisle(wire, some parts, tools).

Amazon might surprise you, too, as a lot of the independents can list stuff there for sale now.
Second Adafruit along with sparkfun and robotshop (although they all have a very specific line of products, aimed at a particular market).

I tend to go to Amazon first for pretty much everything, as we have a prime membership, and I'd definitely recommend starting there for tools and consumables (soldering irons, tips, solder, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area