U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 AM

131 posts, read 173,565 times

Advertisements

I wonder if that $20 takes into account gas, wear and tear on your car, and the additional insurance you would need to hire it out. I personally would not want a bunch of strangers in my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:31 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,241,194 times
This article about UberX income:

Quote:
The company claims that the median "small business income" for an uberX driver in New York City is right around $90K; San Francisco drops a wee bit to $74K, but that's hardly a shabby income for ferrying around individuals all day long.
How Much Do uberX Drivers Really Make, Anyhow? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Old 06-06-2014, 12:37 PM

105 posts, read 76,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
They're advertising openings in Columbia, too, but I notice you can't even do the preliminary online application without giving your social security number. And if I were a driver I'd be afraid of getting robbed or worse eventually. I guess that part's no different from a being taxi driver.
The social is for tax reasons and background check I imagine. Uber users tend to be younger and a bit more affluent than the average taxi user as well so that helps for safety

Old 06-09-2014, 01:43 PM

56 posts, read 80,869 times
By Ashley Boncimino
ashleyb@scbiznews.com
Published June 9, 2014
San Francisco-based ride-sharing company Uber could be expanding to Greenville and Columbia if the service’s ads for drivers are any indication.
Uber is a mobile app that replaces taxicabs and private car services by connecting potential passengers with designated drivers.
The service operates in 124 cities and 36 countries, according to its website. The service also launched in Charlotte last fall.
Drivers make $20 per hour, according to ads, and Uber’s business model is driven by taking a 20% cut from each fare.
Services such as Uber usually start in big cities, which have the critical mass of users that make them viable. The company’s decision to reach out to local users may indicate Greenville and Columbia have that critical mass, according to a company spokesperson.
“We often test ads to measure the viability of UberX in different markets,” said media representative Kaitlin Durkosh in an email. “We've heard from residents, visitors and drivers in both South Carolina and Georgia that they are excited for Uber to come to town.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area