U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 PM

16 posts, read 24,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
SC has common core in many schools as well. Almost every state in the country has adopted it. Some states are wising up and abandoning it and more probably will as time goes on but for now, I wouldn't move to SC and expect to avoid common core.

Common Core was just repealed in the state of South Carolina last week. It will not be used in S.C. anymore. The bill requires them to revert back to the previous curriculum while coming up with a new state/local curriculum for 2015-2016.
This is the only reason S.C. made it on our list of states to consider, because we knew they were repealing the Common Core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 05:49 AM

5,186 posts, read 7,500,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvlady View Post
Common Core was just repealed in the state of South Carolina last week. It will not be used in S.C. anymore. The bill requires them to revert back to the previous curriculum while coming up with a new state/local curriculum for 2015-2016.
This is the only reason S.C. made it on our list of states to consider, because we knew they were repealing the Common Core.
The bill does not require them to revert back to the old standards. The Common Core standards are in place for this year, as they have been for the past couple of years.

The bill would not immediately stop all aspects of Common Core, however.
Once signed the new law “would continue implementation of Common Core Standards in [English] and Math in 2014-15, but also requires a cyclical review of these standards on or before January 1, 2015, for the purpose of adopting South Carolina college and career readiness standards for 2015-16” said Hayes.

Bill to Replace Common Core Headed to SC Governor

Haley’s signature on the bill, H3893, on May 30 makes South Carolina the second state to officially abandon the nationalized standards, though Common Core will remain in place in the state until the 2015-2016 school year, reports Education Week.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...ce-Common-Core

The new standards will probably align up pretty close to the Common Core. That's what has happened in other states, only it will cost us SC taxpayers some millions to rebrand the standards. The Common Core standards, by the way, were proposed by conservatives for many many years and are still supported by most conservative think tanks.
Conservatives for Higher StandardsMyth vs. Fact - Conservatives for Higher Standards

The Common Core only became unpopular among conservatives when President Obama agreed to implement them.

Just like the Affordable Care Act was originally proposed by conservatives in the 90's and is rooted in conservative ideals of private markets, the Common Core was dreamed up by conservatives and is rooted in accountability.

The new SC standards will resemble Common Core, no doubt, as they have been effective the past few years here in SC. And to completely change course would just be a huge waste of time and money to fix a problem that does not exist.

To the OP, if you think that this new bill signed is a reason to move here, well...maybe it's actually a reason to not move here. Because very little will end up changing in the long run, except that the politicians will be able to claim that they "fought Washington DC" on this. And conservative voters (as ill-informed as the OP) will think that was actually the case.

South Carolina Drops Education Standards That Had Already Gotten Results | ThinkProgress

I've never heard of someone wanting to move to SC because of the education system here. People usually move here despite the education system here as it consistently ranks as one of the worst in the nation.

Last edited by Art123; 06-09-2014 at 06:15 AM..

Old 06-09-2014, 07:05 AM

3,266 posts, read 2,336,935 times
We moved here from a conservative area of southern CA and we love it. We had also lived in cold, snowy Ohio - didn't want more of that. People are so friendly and polite. We found several churches we liked. I like the mild weather with hot summers (we love our pool & use it daily) and fantastic colors in spring/fall. We intentionally stayed away from the busy Woodruff Rd area and moved to Pickens county, closer to the mountains - there are tons of great trails to hike with waterfalls and streams, plus the beautiful lakes. Then if you want to run to the beach (the water is warm), it's just a few hour drive to Isle of Palms or Myrtle Beach. Downtown Greenville is always a treat, great atmosphere, yummy restaurants, lots of activities throughout the year and just darn cozy & pretty & inviting.

I've also sat in CA traffic and will say the Woodruff Rd area and 85 around the Pelham Rd area are about the only areas that are terrible. This area has many country roads that are faster and prettier than driving on the highway.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 AM

I never said I was moving there BECAUSE of the education system there... I said it put S.C. on our list because they dumped C.C. C.C is definitely a problem here, and even before it was implemented, NV has consistently had the worst schools in the country for years. So, at the very least, it's got to be better than here. Don't mix my words.
ETA: I don't care if C.C. or Obamacare came from conservatives or liberals. Both programs are horrible and need to be repealed, regardless of where it came from. Not going to play politics here with you.

ETA again: You're right on the C.C. still being in use for this coming school year. My apologies for getting it wrong. I got my info from an NPR article that was talking about both OK and SC dumping C.C. last week. It was OK that dumped it immediately, not SC. I got the two bills confused. But still glad SC is dumping it too.

Last edited by wvlady; 06-09-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-09-2014, 10:43 AM

KaraG that's great to hear. We will be heading out there in a few weeks to check it out. Can't wait!

Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 AM

200 posts, read 214,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvlady View Post
I never said I was moving there BECAUSE of the education system there... I said it put S.C. on our list because they dumped C.C. C.C is definitely a problem here, and even before it was implemented, NV has consistently had the worst schools in the country for years. So, at the very least, it's got to be better than here. Don't mix my words.
ETA: I don't care if C.C. or Obamacare came from conservatives or liberals. Both programs are horrible and need to be repealed, regardless of where it came from. Not going to play politics here with you.

ETA again: You're right on the C.C. still being in use for this coming school year. My apologies for getting it wrong. I got my info from an NPR article that was talking about both OK and SC dumping C.C. last week. It was OK that dumped it immediately, not SC. I got the two bills confused. But still glad SC is dumping it too.
Pay no attention to Art. From what I've seen of his posts, he's just an angry little liberal that hates life. I'm not sure why he lives here if it sucks as bad as he says.

Anyways, I've lived here for 15 years and love it. Greenville is one of the best kept secrets on the east coast. It's a great place to raise a family and most of the people here still hold the conservative values that made this country great.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:50 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,639,280 times
I want to add as well that we live two minutes from all of the great shopping on Woodruff- the only time we have any problem with traffic is Friday afternoon and especially Saturday, which is gridlock. We go there frequently and breeze right through at other times. People on this forum like to scare newcomers about Woodruff; if you don't have to shop on Saturday it is no problem at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or