U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 PM

16 posts, read 24,333 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are considering a move to the Greenville area from northern Nevada (Reno/Tahoe area). This obviously would be a big move, but we need positive change and it looks like Greenville is a good place to raise our family. We've been business and homeowners in NV for almost 10 years now, we moved to NV because of the business. BIG MISTAKE! We have not liked NV since day one. Tired of bad weather (specifically high winds all the time, up to and over 100 mph combined with lots of snow), unfriendly people and environment, high cost of living, and bad schools.
We are conservative minded, looking to raise our boys in a place where they can get involved in school and church activities, and we can make some good friends and build a life. Is there any reason NOT to move to Greenville area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:16 PM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,528,956 times
You (and your family) need to spend at least a week in the Upstate - and just do normal, everyday activities (commute to work, shopping/groceries, school/children's activities, errands, etc). Don't just go to downtown Greenville/Falls Park and Caesar's Head - experience the other side of the Upstate - for example, drive down Wade Hampton during rush hour (and enjoy all the billboards, unsynched lights, and countless strip malls).

The Upstate of SC is nothing like Reno/Tahoe - you will be giving up mountain views and dry air - it's extremely humid now - and will be until early September - I was sweating today at noon just watching a lacrosse game at the Eastside Y.

With the exception of a few areas, the Upstate is extremely conservative. There are plenty of churches of all denominations here.

The cost of living is quite low. The public schools are a mixed bag - some great, others average.

If you snow ski, nothing in the Mid-Atlantic or North Carolina will compare (even remotely) to Tahoe.

Do you have family in SC or the Southeast? Will your current job transfer to the Upstate?
Are you from West Virginia?

Old 06-07-2014, 04:44 PM

Thanks! No, we don't have family or friends out there. Our families are kind of all over the U.S. We don't spend any time in Tahoe either, and we don't like snow. I should've been more specific about that. We are originally from Southern California, where we sat on the 91 fwy for 1 1/2 hours to go 18 miles home from work. We only moved to NV because we bought the business and thought it would be a good living. It has been a good living, but not a good life here. There are a lot of the original families in this area and it's very cliquish (sp?) , so if you're not part of the group, or if you're new, you're not welcome here. I asked my neighbor when we moved in if there's ever any neighborhood bbq's or social gatherings, and she actually told me that people move out here because they don't want to be sociable.
So, I'm just asking these questions because I don't want to run into this again. We need somewhere that is friendly and welcoming so we can build a life and have a sense of belonging.
We will definitely visit and check it out before making a final decision. Jobs shouldn't be a problem, my husband is planning on returning to the trucking industry once our business is sold, and he's already seen lots of jobs in your area for his trade.
Thanks again for the comments and info.
ETA: We've spent some time in TX, KY and TN so are familiar with the humidity, and don't mind it. We just won't consider KY or TN because they have Common Core in their schools, and that's a big reason we're leaving NV too.

Last edited by wvlady; 06-07-2014 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention

Old 06-07-2014, 05:12 PM

My husband was looking at Myrtle Beach area. He's been to S.C. once before, but didn't see much of it because he was in basic training at Ft. Jackson. Anyway, that led me to this area, because it looks like Myrtle Beach may be a little too touristy and has hurricanes. Just happened upon the Greenville area from there and it seems really appealing because of the friendliness of the people (from what I've read), low cost of living, and good schools (I'm seeing 8,9 and 10's for a lot of the schools and have read a lot of good things about T.L. Hanna H.S. in Anderson too). Looks beautiful around there too with all the trees and green. Husband likes to fish, looks like it will be good for that. I'm a horse owner, and from what I've seen, it looks like it would be a horse friendly area.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:19 PM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,528,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvlady View Post
We just won't consider KY or TN because they have Common Core in their schools, and that's a big reason we're leaving NV too
SC schools currently have Common Core - however, Gov Nikki Haley just signed a bill abolishing these standards (this will not take place until the 2015-16 school year).

Old 06-07-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
SC schools currently have Common Core - however, Gov Nikki Haley just signed a bill abolishing these standards (this will not take place until the 2015-16 school year).

I am aware that the Gov just signed a bill abolishing it, but I thought I read that the bill requires them to revert to their previous curriculum in the interim until they come up with a local/state curriculum for 15-16?

Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyn View Post
Yes they hvae a horse riding course in Greenville somewhere.

Anderson might be better fit for you if like being near a lake. Lake Hartwell is a great fishing lake, and Keowee and Jocasse up the road 30 minutes are pristine lakes at base of mountains, called the Lake Tahoes of the East b/c of their clear blue water. T L Hanna is a good school...that north Anderson area is nice....one of the nicest YMCAs I ever been to there. There are a lot of horse farms around Anderson. I may move out that way soon because I would like a little smaller city I think but still close to Greenville.

Have you heard of Aiken? That is our big horse town in state. I lived there for 2 years. It has a real nice downtown area for a small town. They have horse races there and pepole play polo. You even have to stop for horses crossing Whisky Road at times. Aiken isn't as close to the mountains as Greenvlle /Anderson so that is the major "con for me.

Yes, I'll still have to check the Aiken area out too. I do prefer being close to mountains though. I may not bring my horses with me at first, or might board them somewhere till I have time to get to know the areas better.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 AM

5,493 posts, read 6,215,609 times
Sounds from your description of your lifestyle, that Greenville area would be a better fit than other areas you mentioned in SC. Greer would be nice because its closer to the mountains, but still a short ride to Greenville. I've lived in Simpsonville for 10 years and just love this area. I was apprehensive of moving here at first (originally from Ohio by way of 20 yrs in the Navy), but I'm happy to raise my family here and wouldn't think of moving elsewhere at this point.

Hope you can come down for a visit and decide to move your family here. Welcome!

Old 06-08-2014, 11:06 AM

Thank you so much! Yes, we hope to make it out there within the next few weeks, and if we like it, hopefully move before school starts in the fall. Looking forward to it!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,833,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvlady View Post
We just won't consider KY or TN because they have Common Core in their schools, and that's a big reason we're leaving NV too.
SC has common core in many schools as well. Almost every state in the country has adopted it. Some states are wising up and abandoning it and more probably will as time goes on but for now, I wouldn't move to SC and expect to avoid common core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or