U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:22 PM

876 posts, read 1,215,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
I see you left Charleston off that list, I'm sure it was just by accident haha
I think Charleston is pushing it at over 3 hours for a day trip. Almost 7 hours of driving is a little much for a day trip. It could be an attractive weekend trip though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 03:29 PM

410 posts, read 664,186 times
Charlotte's got a lot...of sprawl.

But seriously...I think you have to live in Charlotte in order to enjoy it fully. It has a lot of little pocket neighborhoods with interesting dining and retail. Uptown is so far flung that it's hard to take it all in.

I go to Charlotte for one reason: Ikea.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:46 PM

27,723 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not know if Greenville has billboards stating "Greenville has got a lot." Does Greenville have anything grand on the level of Charlotte and Charleston?
Not really sure what you mean by "grand," but of course Charleston has an attractive geographical setting on the caost, the historical sites, and the general ambiance of the city; downtown is an attraction in and of itself. Charlotte has the big city amenities and attracts the large events that come with being a 2 million+ metro but nothing really steeped in history or tradition like in Charleston for the most part. Greenville is like a mix between the two; it has revitalized downtown to the point that it is an attraction in and of itself, there are special events like Artisphere that attract people, and you have geographical points of interest in the foothills region (e.g., Ceasar's Head).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Charlotte and Charleston has many things scattered throughout surrounding areas. Beyond downtown, Greenville does not have much. There is a need to create more focal points to draw in people.
Actually I think Greenville has more beyond downtown than in downtown, largely because of its setting in the foothills. I think the city is doing a good job of marketing downtown along with things to do and see in the larger region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
I think Charleston is pushing it at over 3 hours for a day trip. Almost 7 hours of driving is a little much for a day trip. It could be an attractive weekend trip though.
And it's a very popular weekend trip for Charlotteans. I've read that Charleston gets more visitors from Charlotte than from any other city.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:45 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,884,628 times
Greenville is probably a destination for bicyclists. The Bicycle lobby seems to have the county council wrapped around their little finger and are very active in the "sustainable" movement . As a result, Greenville seems to be the "sustainable development or sustainable communities" capital of the south. Just look at the sustainablegreenville.com website and look at some of the 60 plus organizations....some of whom are writing policy for what will and will not be "allowed" in Greenville in the future as part of Greenville Forwards and Greenville Vision 2025's comprehensive plan. For example, I've read the comprehensive plan and they plan on implementing fines for those committing light pollution or shining your outdoor flood light at an angle above 40 degrees.

The reason I say they are the capital is that they have a greendrinks.org chapter which has over 600 chapters throughout the world. There are no chapters in NC or GA or any other chapters in SC that I could find.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,154,611 times
Why would someone have the need to shine your flood lights above 40 degrees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or