Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,015 times

Advertisements

Talk to me about Simpsonville it looks like my husband will be relocating there for his job. Best schools in the area (we need elementary, middle and high), best preschools for a 3 year old that HS high-functioning autism and isn't potty trained, best communites to live in (lots of kids/pool/playground) and how's the shopping? Also, what the five forks /woodruff area? I heard that's the place to be. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
The Five Forks area indeed offers a lot of what you are looking for. You don't indicate a price range; that would determine which communities would work.
I'll leave the school questions to others as I am not an expert in that area.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
I live in Simpsonville, south of city area. Five Forks is north of the city. Like Beth said, Five Forks is slightly higher priced than other areas of Simpsonville, the homes are bit nicer in some areas. Depending where you live in Five Forks will determine the schools. Oakview Elementary, Beck Academy and JL Mann for one area, while Bells Crossing, Mauldin Middle and Mauldin High for an area less than a mile away from the other house.

Five Forks offers easy access to Woodruff Road (the busiest shopping corridors in Greenville). Five Forks is one of the fastest growing communities in SC and it's quite congested during rush hours and weekends.

Where I live, off W. Georgia Road, it's slightly slower pace, yet still has a lot of new homes, parks and things to do. Shopping on Fairview Road is a bit easier most days than on Woodruff. Has all the major stores (Target, Walmart, Kohls, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.., dining and grocery). Again depending exactly where you live determines the schools: Plain Elementary, Ellen Woodside Elementary, Fork Shoals Elementary. For middle school: Ralph Chandler and Woodside. For HS: Woodside or possibly Hillcrest. There is a charter high school, called Brashier Middle College also.

It would be best if you could provide a house price range and maybe even where your husband will work, so we can give you a targeted area that would work best for your family. Good luck and welcome to Simpsonville, you will love it here.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,015 times
Thanks! Our price range is no higher then 280,000. My husband will be traveling about 25 miles each way to his job. It's ok though because right now he has an hour commute each way. We think Simpsonville will be the best fit for our family.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhogan1515 View Post
Thanks! Our price range is no higher then 280,000. My husband will be traveling about 25 miles each way to his job. It's ok though because right now he has an hour commute each way. We think Simpsonville will be the best fit for our family.
You won't have a problem finding a nice home in that price range anywhere in Simpsonville. You "may" get a little more bang for your buck depending on which area of Simpsonville you live in. I drive 20 miles to BMW and usually take the "back" roads. It's a nice, relaxing drive both ways and takes less than 30 minutes.

Five Forks is a nice area. My complaints would be congestion and prices are a bit higher than similar homes in other areas of Simpsonville. (I'm currently building a new home in Simpsonville, so I have looked a lot).

Go to Zillow, Truila or ggar.com and you can find homes there. If you are looking for new homes, DR Horton, Crown, Legendary, Ryan and Mungo are the big builders here. Five Forks zip is 29681, south of I-385 in Simpsonville is 29680.

Look carefully at the schools on the home listings. Again, one street may go to one set of schools, your neighbor a few houses down may go to another set. Very weird how they set up the schools here.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Good advice above about W. Georgia Rd; I have not been here that long and have been taking the "scenic route" often on the way home from various places just to get a feel for the area and to get to know all of the neighborhoods. There is a ton of new building going on and plenty of shopping there as well as on Woodruff which is not far away. (Just avoid rush hour and Sat. on Woodruff if you can!).

Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,789 times
Simpsonville has many good elementary schools. The high schools are probably good for SC, but not the best in Greenville County. There are lots of new houses there and you should like the shopping alright.

Probably the best high school near Simpsonville is Mauldin High.

There is a website to look up school information and lots of details. Check out Greenville County School website and look for something called "school report cards".

Hope that helps.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:42 PM

98 posts, read 218,178 times
It's a lot of cookie cutter homes, but you can't beat the price/sq ft versus Greenville if you are okay with those types of neighborhoods. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:22 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
If your spouse will be working 25 miles away, why not live in that area?

Schools in this area vary a lot in quality. Even in Greenville County and the Simpsonville general area, the quality of schools varies a lot. Most elementary schools are good, there are fewer good high schools so it makes some sense to find a good high school and back track from there.

Zillow has a map feature that lets you see the school attendance zones and the rating assigned by great schools.

I'd add that information to the SC School report cards as a good starting point - just google SC School Report cards 2013.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,310 times
What is the best high school close to Simpsonville, SC? I have a 9th and 10th grader...both boys. They go to a 1k student body presently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area