U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:14 AM

5,189 posts, read 7,502,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I think you would find that most kids in the Gower area are in public schools. The clique thing isn't an issue if you're willing to get involved in things in order to find common ground with folks. Sign up for the pool, get involved in the schools, and join neighborhood events. Get in with a carpool, and get out and enjoy your front yard instead of the back yard. And wave to every single car that passes. You'll see everyone throwing up a hand. It can go a long way!
We don't have kids. I think having kids opens the door a bit more to meeting people as you get older.

We do wave at everybody, and (most) everybody is super-friendly around here, to that point that it was a bit shocking when we first moved here. People you don't know just pull over to shoot the breeze sometimes while we are out walking the dog.

I wasn't referring to having lots of acquaintance-type friends and relationships when referring to cliques. We are invited to gatherings, go to the block parties, and talk to most everyone in our neighborhood that we come across.

I was referring to that deeper level of friendship when talking about cliques. We tend to have fewer, but much closer friends. And finding those people has been much, much harder here. Those people that you are completely comfortable with, can have long conversations with about important things, and share belly laughs.

As far as finding those few, very close friends... that's when my wife and I feel like we are living in a foreign country at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:31 PM
jac

382 posts, read 856,706 times
I think the Sara Collins/Beck/JLMann school assignments are very strong, and would definitely choose that over the others mentioned. For elementary schools, I would look at neighborhoods zoned for Oakview and Monarch (obviously further out of Greenville.) I also think that Art made some very valid points about settling in.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:38 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,155,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
We don't have kids. I think having kids opens the door a bit more to meeting people as you get older.

We do wave at everybody, and (most) everybody is super-friendly around here, to that point that it was a bit shocking when we first moved here. People you don't know just pull over to shoot the breeze sometimes while we are out walking the dog.

I wasn't referring to having lots of acquaintance-type friends and relationships when referring to cliques. We are invited to gatherings, go to the block parties, and talk to most everyone in our neighborhood that we come across.

I was referring to that deeper level of friendship when talking about cliques. We tend to have fewer, but much closer friends. And finding those people has been much, much harder here. Those people that you are completely comfortable with, can have long conversations with about important things, and share belly laughs.

As far as finding those few, very close friends... that's when my wife and I feel like we are living in a foreign country at times.
I understand that, but how do you develop those deeper friendships? In my experience, it has been through the start of those acquaintance-type relationships you form and then build from that. You're not going to suddenly become best friends with the couple down the street unless you first meet them and get invited to things. That's where I'm coming from in my own comments. How did you find your friend in previous places of residence that aren't applicable in Greenville?

Old 06-18-2014, 04:54 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,183,473 times
Sara Collins/Beck/JL Mann is a pretty good combo. Pelham Road also has an excellent rating just like Sara Collins. Not sure about Mitchell Road but you can check on Gvl County School website. Look for school report cards. The stats don't lie. Either the school is good or its not.

Problem with Greenville is there are so many good high schools. So, you can be a little flexible when it comes to those. Mann, Mauldin, Riverside, Southside's IB, Eastside and Wade Hampton are all very good. Same is true for the elementary schools. Try to pick one with a good or excellent report card and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area