U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,924,542 times

Advertisements

Read this today in the Spartanburg newspaper. That the starting pay for a deputy is $27,000!!!! The writer was in the "citizens police academy" and said he, and all the others, expressed some shock when they heard that.

WTF?? How can police departments in this state attract/retain quality employees with pay that is less than what you can make being a bartender!!

I know the area has had crime and gang problems too. You'd think the folks would be a bit more concerned and motivated to keep the criminal element out of the county.

Just wow, 27K to risk your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,924,542 times
I mean, seriously, if you get paid biweekly, that's 26 checks a year. About $1,050 a check, BEFORE taxes and insurance and police retirement are taken out.

Take home would be what? $400 a week? There are bartenders in Greenville or Charleston that make that in 1 night. Hell, the immigrants who jump on trucks outside Home Depot for a day of work can probably make that in a week.

I understand no one becomes a cop for the money; But at some point, it IS a profession, a dangerous one, a necessary one as we all enjoy safe cities, and 27K is just ridiculous. And unlike our soldiers ( who are also grossly underpaid) they don't get free healthcare, free on-base housing, discounted grocerys at the PX, etc, etc.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:09 PM

19,386 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Law enforcement officers, firefighters, emergency medical service providers and first responders are grossly underpaid. First responders and servicemen serving in dangerous professions should be well compensated for protecting us.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:48 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,963,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Law enforcement officers, firefighters, emergency medical service providers and first responders are grossly underpaid. First responders and servicemen serving in dangerous professions should be well compensated for protecting us.
These public service officers who work in life threatening jobs should definitely be paid better for putting their lives in danger and protecting the public. Same for school teachers as well.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:10 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,695,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

In some areas. Some make $60k, 70k and over $100k, even in the South.

I agree OP. Waaaay underpaid in SC. Asheville firefighters start at $28k, not much better.

But $27k for a area that is considered pretty darn dangerous... thats not good.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:30 PM

226 posts, read 264,305 times
Not any better where I'm from in Aiken. The starting pay is about the same for a county that is literally the size of the state of Rhode Island. The Sheriff is trying very hard down there now to get a large pay increase for all of the deputies.
And the County and City Councils can't seem to understand why there is so much turnover.....................

Old 06-15-2014, 03:34 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,710,601 times
I don't mind paying more taxes in order for the great servants of the people to come close to being paid what they deserve.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:13 AM

557 posts, read 663,048 times
I feel sometimes that we as a profession in police, fire and EMS should never use the phrase, "We do the job because we love it and not for the pay." I do believe someone took us to task and said okay then we will keep you pay low. I am a Paramedic going into my 27th year. I have worked my share of overtime in order to keep the family sheltered, fed and clothed. I feel the most sorry for the fire and police people that I work with everyday. Most police officers I know are working two and sometimes three side jobs just to bring in enough for their families. The fire service is no different, I have heard fire fighters tell me that they work their side job or business fulltime hours most days off from the fire department. Luckily for me, I started a part time business that is going to allow me the freedom to step away from my profession and make more money helping others than I will ever make in my current position and without working all those overtime hours.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM

410 posts, read 664,329 times
It's actually $27,716. And keep in mind that might be starting salary until you are certified (a 3 month process). Salaries often go up after that...but only a little.

My husband is a former police officer with the City of Spartanburg. He patrolled one of the most dangerous areas of the city and was routinely shot at (even took two in his vest once and spent the night in the hospital) and yet when he left with three years of service under is belt...he made $13.00/hr. Now granted, because he was hourly, he got a lot of overtime for court appearances and extra duty. But yeah...a lot of cops have to take second jobs or put in a lot of extra duty.

All in all...it's pathetic and shouldn't be happening. It gets me mad just thinking about it.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,910,341 times
They are not paid enough. But other things to consider:

1. Benefits - Aren't they pretty good for police officers?
2. $27k is the starting pay. Where does it go from there?
3. Job security/stability.
4. Do you get use of a car along with that salary? I know at least one police officer who drives his police car home each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or