U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,730 times

Advertisements

Do these even exist in SC? We have been going to one of the UU churches in the area and it is great but we are a young couple (30's) expecting our first child and looking to connect with others like us. The UU church has mostly older members. We are an interracial couple and I've felt the ill stares at other churches we've visited in the area. I am seeking a medium sized church with a more traditional worship structure. I am not a fan of mega churches as they are too large and I am more sedate when it comes to worship. Any recommendations?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 PM

410 posts, read 664,186 times
There's a UU church in Spartanburg. I'm not sure about it's make-up. I honestly can't think of a more liberal church in Greer, which is where I live. Maybe someone else can speak to that.

Have you tried UMC churches? Open hearts, open doors, and all that. My friend is Lutheran and she says that they are pretty liberal as well.

I can't imagine the ill stares. What a bummer. I will admit that interracial couples are not the norm in this area, but geez...what does it matter? People are people, as the old song says... I actually saw a African American-Indian couple at our church on Sunday. Once again, I noticed because it's not the norm (OK, I was coming in late and they were the only folks in the lobby...LOL), but I thought it was cool that they were there. We're all there to worship. I go to a non-denominational church and the worship is not sedate, so it wouldn't work for y'all.

But good luck on your search.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:45 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,182,045 times
wow first post! Welcome to the forums! Hope you'll stay awhile.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:36 PM

110 posts, read 395,958 times
The Unitarian Church is Spartanburg is liberal. Also Central United Methodist in downtown Spartanburg is more traditional, but the people who go there are more liberal. Good luck finding a church home.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,644,865 times
There is Lifesong Church in Greer/Taylors and in Lyman. Don't go to church, but my son attends a day camp currently at the Greer location. People seem very nice and accepting, strong youth program. People I have met who attend are various ages. May want to look into them.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,730 times
Thanks guys! Anyone know about the Baha'i' church in Greenville? Just stumbled upon it via NPR.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:43 AM

27 posts, read 24,232 times
St. Andrews Episcopal in Greenville is very liberal and accepting. It is across from Fluor Field on Main St. The service is very traditional, as in 'high church', but the congregates are very diverse.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,953,632 times
There is a Unitarian Universalist church near Greenville and Paris mountain.

Their theme seems to be unconditional Love and acceptance of all people regardless of race, sex, or personal spiritual journey.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 PM

7 posts, read 7,482 times
I grew up at Pelham Road Baptist. They are one of the few Cooperative Baptist churches in the area (instead of Southern Baptist). They very much preach equality and treating people the same regardless of their gender, race, or orientation.

That being said, I'm looking for a church closer to my home. Does anyone know anything about Covenant United Methodist in Greer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area