U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 08:03 AM

56 posts, read 80,534 times

Advertisements

My first time through Fanny Gap gave a chill. Drove in fog that was so dense I could not see a foot in front. Having all the trucks did not help.
However the 2sd time it was beautiful & sunny; just many run off ramps for trucks.
Would love to avoid this area next time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 08:28 AM

19,403 posts, read 17,128,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I-77 can get congested around Huntersville and the Lake Norman area. But you can take the I-485 beltway to I-85 towards Spartanburg and that will bypass some of the traffic.
Before Interstate 485 opened northwest between Interstate 85 and Interstate 77, I bypassed traffic using North Carolina 150 from Mooresville to Boger City/Lincolnton and United States 321 to Gastonia at the end of 2006. North Carolina 16 was in the process of being rerouted south of Lowesville to north of Denver. It was quite a nice drive.

I have not been on Interstate 485 since it opened in this stretch.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 PM

587 posts, read 688,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Before Interstate 485 opened northwest between Interstate 85 and Interstate 77, I bypassed traffic using North Carolina 150 from Mooresville to Boger City/Lincolnton and United States 321 to Gastonia at the end of 2006. North Carolina 16 was in the process of being rerouted south of Lowesville to north of Denver. It was quite a nice drive.

I have not been on Interstate 485 since it opened in this stretch.

I always just use US 321 and I-40 to avoid Charlotte. Only 5 miles longer than going through Charlotte and much less traffic. I haven't used NC 150 before, I may try that next time to change things up.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:53 PM

587 posts, read 688,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
From Leesburg to Greensboro is roughly 6 1/2ish hours depending on time of day and what day of the week. Sundays you can fly; mid-day, mid-week it is slower.

OP said he wasn't concerned with longer route and Routes 15/29 are definitely more peaceful with fewer and spread out trucks. It does bog a bit in Warrenton and through Charlottesville.

Tyler -- dontcha love RR fried chicken! Remember when they said "Howdy, Pardner, how can I serve ya?" LOL.

Agreed on US 15. OP could probably pick up US 15 at Harrisburg/Mechanicburg, PA. US 15 does bog up a bit at Fredrick MD, Leesburg, VA and Haymarket, VA depending on the day and time of travel. On a weekend it should be a pretty nice drive though if not concerned about travel time.

Can't comment on US29 since its been awhile since I have driven it from Warrenton to Charlottesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area