U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2014, 01:57 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,194 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I do not mind a longer route but I hate all the trucks and thick traffic; is there a better way to go from upstate NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2014, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,257 posts, read 3,967,377 times
Reputation: 1258
Well I-81 is usually a better choice than I-95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Status: "Summer, please don't leave!" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Asheville, NC
11,476 posts, read 25,708,361 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well I-81 is usually a better choice than I-95.
I definitely second that I'm not sure about another route. Does google maps give you another option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 03:22 PM
 
Location: The South
3,632 posts, read 5,016,565 times
Reputation: 2491
I don't know about further north but you can take Route 15 in Maryland and follow it through Leesburg, VA, to Route 29 South through the central part of Virginia. It's a beautiful drive with mountain views. Route 29 is dual highway, speed limit in the 65 mph range (goes up and down in a few places) and the only pain in the rear part is through Charlottesville.

You can at least take it as far as Greensboro and then pick up I-85 to go west.

Have a safe trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2014, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,257 posts, read 3,967,377 times
Reputation: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I don't know about further north but you can take Route 15 in Maryland and follow it through Leesburg, VA, to Route 29 South through the central part of Virginia. It's a beautiful drive with mountain views. Route 29 is dual highway, speed limit in the 65 mph range (goes up and down in a few places) and the only pain in the rear part is through Charlottesville.

You can at least take it as far as Greensboro and then pick up I-85 to go west.

Have a safe trip!
That sounds like a nice scenic route. And while in Frederick, Maryland or Leesburg, VA stop and have lunch at Roy Rogers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Status: "Summer, please don't leave!" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Asheville, NC
11,476 posts, read 25,708,361 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I don't know about further north but you can take Route 15 in Maryland and follow it through Leesburg, VA, to Route 29 South through the central part of Virginia. It's a beautiful drive with mountain views. Route 29 is dual highway, speed limit in the 65 mph range (goes up and down in a few places) and the only pain in the rear part is through Charlottesville.

You can at least take it as far as Greensboro and then pick up I-85 to go west.

Have a safe trip!
How much longer does that take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 09:44 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,394 posts, read 17,110,488 times
Reputation: 4909
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptsbl View Post
I do not mind a longer route but I hate all the trucks and thick traffic; is there a better way to go from upstate NY
I do not know if you want to drive out of your way to avoid Interstate 77 and 81. The logical alternative is Interstate 90 to Erie, Pennsylvania; Interstate 79 south to Charleston, West Virginia; Interstate 64 west to Lexington, Kentucky; Interstate 75 south to Knoxville, Tennessee; Interstate 40 east to Asheville, North Carolina; then Interstate 26 east and United States 25 south into South Carolina.

I do not think Interstate 77 is that bad. It will be under construction in North Carolina with the Interstate 40 interchange rebuild in Statesville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 12:52 PM
 
Location: The South
3,632 posts, read 5,016,565 times
Reputation: 2491
From Leesburg to Greensboro is roughly 6 1/2ish hours depending on time of day and what day of the week. Sundays you can fly; mid-day, mid-week it is slower.

OP said he wasn't concerned with longer route and Routes 15/29 are definitely more peaceful with fewer and spread out trucks. It does bog a bit in Warrenton and through Charlottesville.

Tyler -- dontcha love RR fried chicken! Remember when they said "Howdy, Pardner, how can I serve ya?" LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,257 posts, read 3,967,377 times
Reputation: 1258
Oh yea the RR fried chicken is great, and I really enjoy the Roy Rogers roast beef. And they still serve the french fries in the holster container.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,257 posts, read 3,967,377 times
Reputation: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not know if you want to drive out of your way to avoid Interstate 77 and 81. The logical alternative is Interstate 90 to Erie, Pennsylvania; Interstate 79 south to Charleston, West Virginia; Interstate 64 west to Lexington, Kentucky; Interstate 75 south to Knoxville, Tennessee; Interstate 40 east to Asheville, North Carolina; then Interstate 26 east and United States 25 south into South Carolina.

I do not think Interstate 77 is that bad. It will be under construction in North Carolina with the Interstate 40 interchange rebuild in Statesville.
I-77 can get congested around Huntersville and the Lake Norman area. But you can take the I-485 beltway to I-85 towards Spartanburg and that will bypass some of the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top