U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 08:00 AM

97 posts, read 117,184 times

Advertisements

I'm a resident in Spartanburg county and lately the disguised charity donation aka panhandling has gotten too much. This is not a situation of a homeless individual holding up a sign, rather 3 to 4 adult males with orange vests going from car window to car window asking for donations.

This incident is occurring on the intersection of Reidville Rd. and East Main St/Moore Duncan Hwy ( 296 & 290). I'm sure this team goes else where to. These guys come right up to the car in the middle of the intersection to ask for money. I'm not sure what foundation they claim to be raising money for but I feel sure this is a fraud. One look in the news can tell you how bad the crime in Spartanburg County has gotten and I think this is just asking for another incident. My wife does not feel safe when they come up to the car and I'm outraged that they have not been arrested.

Is this legal to do? Has anyone else seen this? Finally, what actions can I take to put a stop to this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 AM

10,063 posts, read 19,936,869 times
Ignore them. Problem solved.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:51 PM

403 posts, read 786,065 times
This kind of thing happens everywhere. Windows up, doors locked, no problem.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:06 PM

97 posts, read 117,184 times
I"m a bit more proactive than that.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:13 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,622,157 times
WallStreet,
Who is your State Representative?
Contact him. Write him an email.
Your paying him, let him earn a little by working for it.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 PM

271 posts, read 632,695 times
I agree, I've seen them at the Pelham/85 area, and I always found it doubtful that they are actually collecting for a charity....just doesn't seem like something any legit charity would do.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 AM

410 posts, read 664,524 times
The Shriners often collect money this way and I have seen a few firefighters out collecting money for their charities. But in general, I find this method obnoxious. And many groups have taken the idea and do the same thing with little to no advertising about what they are collecting for. I think it's road hazard to be honest. I've been waiting for someone to get hit by a car before the local and/or state government puts the practice out of commission.

With the exception of established charities who fundraise strictly by donations, I've about had with every Tom, Dick, and Harry church group and small time charity being out in public (at Walmart, etc.) begging for money. It's the church groups who are begging for funds for camps or trips to Carowinds that bother me in particular. Ever head of hosting a car wash or a yard sale? Back in my youth group days, we always did fundraisers that involved "doing" something as opposed to just asking for money. Ain't nobody got time for that. Plus it really doesn't teach the kids the value of a dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or