U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 PM

410 posts, read 665,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefl View Post
The posts in this forum have helped me tremendously over the years and I'm hoping to get some help with a possible move to the Greenville-Spartanburg area. I'm a single mom of two little boys and currently live in South Florida. I grew up in Maine and have also lived in Raleigh, NC and El Paso, TX (and easily found things I enjoyed in all of them). I am comfortable in both rural and city areas, and currently live in a suburb 15 minutes from Ft Lauderdale. While there are a lot of things about FL I like, I just cannot afford to stay here any longer. The rent is astronomical and the schools are not very good compared to the ones in Maine. I will be driving my oldest son to a charter school 40 minutes away every day this year so he can get a decent education (without having to worry about the teachers physically hurting him). He is in ESE for speech and language and has an IEP. Having a good public and/or charter school for him to go to is going to be important.

Before anyone says "go back to Maine", obviously I have already considered that option. However, aside from the intense winters and not-so-low cost of living, my family even says I should move somewhere more central (like the Carolinas). My ex-husband's family all live in FL but far away, so they don't see my kids much anyway. The ex is in the Army and deployed so I am already completely on my own down here with no real reason to stay. Most likely wherever I end up moving he would probably move there as well once he gets out of the Army (we have a very good relationship as co-parents so that is not an issue).

As a single Mom I am on a pretty tight budget and am fine with living in a really small place as long as it's in a safe area. I am used to the crime in FL but in the area I live now it is very safe. I love what I've seen and heard of Greenville, and have also heard good things about Greer and Spartanburg. I am wondering if Greer is the most convenient being between the two cities? My three main requirements are low rent, safe neighborhood and good schools. I don't even know if this is possible, but when I looked online I did find quite a few apartments that I could afford. I don't receive any state aid, I work from home as a web designer and also teach group fitness classes (so having a gym or dance studio close by would be great too).

Are any of these apartments/areas decent or possibly have what I'm looking for? Any help you all can give me is greatly appreciated!

Grandeagle Apts
50 Glenwood Road, Greenville, SC 29615

Reynolds Square
111 Tabor Lane, Greer, SC 29651

Hampton Forest
2207 Wade Hampton Bouelvard, Greenville, SC 29615

University Village
103 University Village Drive, Central, SC 29630

The Summit at Cross Creek
100 Cross Creek Court, Central, SC 29630

Springbrook
104 Springbrook Drive, Anderson, SC 29621

Cross Creek
345 Bryant Road, Spartanburg, SC 29303

Crescent Landing
1008 White Horse Road, Greenville, SC 29605

Grove Station
One Lakeside Road, #20, Greenville, SC 29611

Willow Lakes
2900 Reidville Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301

Hidden Park
320 Spruce St, Spartanburg, SC 29303

Absolutely not Hidden Park in Spartanburg. It is absolutely not safe. My husband lived there with some roommates while we were a commuter couple and I didn't feel particularly safe there when I was waiting in the car. Any of the tenants will tell you that there are drug dealers living there as well.

Absolutely not Reynolds Square in Greer. There was a major gang related fight and a shooting there back in 2010. It's not on the "good" side of town.

I don't think you will want to move out to Central. It's pretty far out--between Greenville and Clemson University. It is a quaint little town, but I'm not sure about school system.

You don't want to live on White Horse Road. Trust me, on this.

I pass Hampton Forest Apartments on my way to work everyday. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it seems well maintained.

Cross Creek in Spartanburg is not best place to live, nor the worst. Willow Lakes Apartments in Spartanburg is in a decent area. You probably wouldn't have too many crime issues there plus it's a very convenient area.

If you're son has special needs, I think I would concentrate on Greenville County because the school system will have more options for him.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 01:52 PM

22 posts, read 25,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Absolutely not Hidden Park in Spartanburg. It is absolutely not safe. My husband lived there with some roommates while we were a commuter couple and I didn't feel particularly safe there when I was waiting in the car. Any of the tenants will tell you that there are drug dealers living there as well.

Absolutely not Reynolds Square in Greer. There was a major gang related fight and a shooting there back in 2010. It's not on the "good" side of town.

I don't think you will want to move out to Central. It's pretty far out--between Greenville and Clemson University. It is a quaint little town, but I'm not sure about school system.

You don't want to live on White Horse Road. Trust me, on this.

I pass Hampton Forest Apartments on my way to work everyday. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it seems well maintained.

Cross Creek in Spartanburg is not best place to live, nor the worst. Willow Lakes Apartments in Spartanburg is in a decent area. You probably wouldn't have too many crime issues there plus it's a very convenient area.

If you're son has special needs, I think I would concentrate on Greenville County because the school system will have more options for him.

Good luck!
Thank you SO much for all of the info! I am able to cross a few more places off my list, which gets me closer to my goal of finding a good area to move to. Thank you for being so specific!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or