Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 AM

22 posts, read 32,078 times

Advertisements

The posts in this forum have helped me tremendously over the years and I'm hoping to get some help with a possible move to the Greenville-Spartanburg area. I'm a single mom of two little boys and currently live in South Florida. I grew up in Maine and have also lived in Raleigh, NC and El Paso, TX (and easily found things I enjoyed in all of them). I am comfortable in both rural and city areas, and currently live in a suburb 15 minutes from Ft Lauderdale. While there are a lot of things about FL I like, I just cannot afford to stay here any longer. The rent is astronomical and the schools are not very good compared to the ones in Maine. I will be driving my oldest son to a charter school 40 minutes away every day this year so he can get a decent education (without having to worry about the teachers physically hurting him). He is in ESE for speech and language and has an IEP. Having a good public and/or charter school for him to go to is going to be important.

Before anyone says "go back to Maine", obviously I have already considered that option. However, aside from the intense winters and not-so-low cost of living, my family even says I should move somewhere more central (like the Carolinas). My ex-husband's family all live in FL but far away, so they don't see my kids much anyway. The ex is in the Army and deployed so I am already completely on my own down here with no real reason to stay. Most likely wherever I end up moving he would probably move there as well once he gets out of the Army (we have a very good relationship as co-parents so that is not an issue).

As a single Mom I am on a pretty tight budget and am fine with living in a really small place as long as it's in a safe area. I am used to the crime in FL but in the area I live now it is very safe. I love what I've seen and heard of Greenville, and have also heard good things about Greer and Spartanburg. I am wondering if Greer is the most convenient being between the two cities? My three main requirements are low rent, safe neighborhood and good schools. I don't even know if this is possible, but when I looked online I did find quite a few apartments that I could afford. I don't receive any state aid, I work from home as a web designer and also teach group fitness classes (so having a gym or dance studio close by would be great too).

Are any of these apartments/areas decent or possibly have what I'm looking for? Any help you all can give me is greatly appreciated!

Grandeagle Apts
50 Glenwood Road, Greenville, SC 29615

Reynolds Square
111 Tabor Lane, Greer, SC 29651

Hampton Forest
2207 Wade Hampton Bouelvard, Greenville, SC 29615

University Village
103 University Village Drive, Central, SC 29630

The Summit at Cross Creek
100 Cross Creek Court, Central, SC 29630

Springbrook
104 Springbrook Drive, Anderson, SC 29621

Cross Creek
345 Bryant Road, Spartanburg, SC 29303

Crescent Landing
1008 White Horse Road, Greenville, SC 29605

Grove Station
One Lakeside Road, #20, Greenville, SC 29611

Willow Lakes
2900 Reidville Road, Spartanburg, SC 29301

Hidden Park
320 Spruce St, Spartanburg, SC 29303
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 11:25 AM

77 posts, read 110,058 times
mefl, I live in Greenville and looked up the Grangeagle Apts on a map and it looks like a good area. Your search area is large since it includes the cities of Greenville, Spartanburg, Greer, Central,and Anderson. I hope you are planning to come here and drive around to see which area would be a good fit for you and your family.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:06 PM

Thanks! I plan on visiting the Greenville area before deciding to move there, but I will be pretty limited on time so I'm trying to narrow down my apartment search ahead of visiting if at all possible. I guess I was wondering if any of those areas are known for being less expensive but also has good schools? I know I can always move to another area later if I found a place I liked better but I would like to have an affordable, safe place for my kids to live to start out. I'm pretty flexible on the location other than that.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:36 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,653,666 times
Check out the Greenville County Schools website and you can find out the schools for each apartment. Then you can also find the school report card on the same website and see if the school is good or excellent.

I should mention Greer is only 1/2 in Greenville County so you might not get the school info if the address is in Spartanburg County.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 PM

Thank you all for the detailed info! I checked out the county website and did see that most of the Apts I asked about in Greenville have less than desirable schools assigned to them. Do any of you know about the Reynold's Square Apts in Greer? The school there is Crestview Elem and has a better rating. Those Apts are also very reasonable and include a washer and dryer in the units instead of just hookups or coin laundry. Is the Tabor Lane area in Greer a pretty safe neighborhood? I will also take your advice and call a few and see what they're really renting them for, because some list a range of $688 - $1,945 for a 2 bed, 2 bath. That's quite a huge difference in price.

Last edited by mefl; 06-28-2014 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 10:51 AM

292 posts, read 341,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefl View Post
Thank you all for the detailed info! I checked out the county website and did see that most of the Apts I asked about in Greenville have less than desirable schools assigned to them. Do any of you know about the Reynold's Square Apts in Greer? The school there is Crestview Elem and has a better rating. Those Apts are also very reasonable and include a washer and dryer in the units instead of just hookups or coin laundry. Is the Tabor Lane area in Greer a pretty safe neighborhood? I will also take your advice and call a few and see what they're really renting them for, because some list a range of $688 - $1,945 for a 2 bed, 2 bath. That's quite a huge difference in price.
Mitchell Road elementary is a good school on the Eastside of Greenville. Here's some places that are close to it. I'm not really sure what kind of budget you have, but you might want to check these out:

Hampton Forest
Hampton Forest Apartments - Greenville, SC 29615 | Apartments for Rent

Woodstream Farms Apartments

Place Apartment

Northway Apartments
Home

Bridges At Pelham Apartments

Bent Oak Apartments
Brantley Properties | Bent Oak

Views on Pelham
The Views on Pelham Apartments, Greenville, SC - BH Management Services - Luxury Apartment Home Rentals & Third-Party Management for Owners

Old 06-29-2014, 11:08 AM

141 posts, read 239,554 times
A good area for you to check out would be Mauldin in general. We like Mauldin because it's somewhat central to the Greenville area (downtown only 8-9 miles away), more affordable than some areas, good schools, and just a decent area to live in. No, it's not particularly pretty for the most part. It is more of a "crossroads" part of the area. Access to 85 & 385 is generally easy/good, and you can avoid *having to* use Woodruff Rd for daily getting around.

The Mauldin elementary, middle, and high schools are all considered good and it isn't crazy-expensive to live somewhere zoned for them.

There are apartments near me called Gleneagle that we considered, but we ultimately rented a townhouse instead. They seemed fairly nice and also reasonably affordable, though.

There are also duplex apartments here in Mauldin called Ashmore Bridge Estates. Maybe check them out. It's a busy corner/road but very handy to lots of stuff.

GL searching!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
Mitchell Road elementary is a good school on the Eastside of Greenville. Here's some places that are close to it. I'm not really sure what kind of budget you have, but you might want to check these out:

Hampton Forest
Hampton Forest Apartments - Greenville, SC 29615 | Apartments for Rent

Woodstream Farms Apartments

Place Apartment

Northway Apartments
Home

Bridges At Pelham Apartments

Bent Oak Apartments
Brantley Properties | Bent Oak

Views on Pelham
The Views on Pelham Apartments, Greenville, SC - BH Management Services - Luxury Apartment Home Rentals & Third-Party Management for Owners
Thanks so much for all of these great suggestions, I will check them out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthByMidwest View Post
A good area for you to check out would be Mauldin in general. We like Mauldin because it's somewhat central to the Greenville area (downtown only 8-9 miles away), more affordable than some areas, good schools, and just a decent area to live in. No, it's not particularly pretty for the most part. It is more of a "crossroads" part of the area. Access to 85 & 385 is generally easy/good, and you can avoid *having to* use Woodruff Rd for daily getting around.

The Mauldin elementary, middle, and high schools are all considered good and it isn't crazy-expensive to live somewhere zoned for them.

There are apartments near me called Gleneagle that we considered, but we ultimately rented a townhouse instead. They seemed fairly nice and also reasonably affordable, though.

There are also duplex apartments here in Mauldin called Ashmore Bridge Estates. Maybe check them out. It's a busy corner/road but very handy to lots of stuff.

GL searching!
Thank you! I haven't researched Mauldin yet so I will definitely look at that area as well.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 AM

461 posts, read 980,939 times
What's your price range?

Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 AM

6,892 posts, read 22,458,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthByMidwest View Post

GL searching!
Gleneagle is further down W. Butler Rd than I believe the Mauldin school zone stretches. If you can't get into Mauldin schools from Gleneagle I'd advise you to look elsewhere. I believe there is a group of rental units on Fowler Circle just off W. Butler Rd. that is very close to Sunset Park. I'll try to get the name of it next time I go that direction.

Also in or near Mauldin on Bethel Rd. is a complex called Lexington Place. I have no information on these units. I once knew someone that was going to move there but didn't. Might be worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area