U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 AM

631 posts, read 879,236 times

Advertisements

I just want to see Greer grow. But actually love seeing Greenville grow because that means more stores, businesses, etc in Greer (where I live).

I wish the area would continue to work to attract high tech type of companies (software and internet based companies). That will give more options and opportunities for folks that are developers, devops, sysadmins, etc. to grow and relocate to this area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 09:19 AM

4,382 posts, read 6,080,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Rate of growth = growth percentage as in 1.1% vs 1.3% vs. 2%, etc.
Highest rate of growth = fastest growth.
This is true, but raw number can't be denied. A place already the most populated is going to show a lower percentage. I welcome growth op, but not ugly growth.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:03 AM

9,482 posts, read 13,184,121 times
The thing is this:

MSA population added from July1, 2012 to July 1, 2013:
Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin 8,857
Columbia 9,248
Charleston-North Charleston 14,723

Now, if you're talking about counties okay, but the fact that downtown Columbia rests on the Lexington County line complicates the comparison.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 AM

5,195 posts, read 7,510,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I welcome it. I think growth can be a good thing as long as it is planned for and in moderation. To me, it shows an area is doing well.
Who is doing any planning around here? Outside of the city limits of Greenville, there seems to be very little, if any, planning. The "invisible hand" of the "free market" seems to be running things, and that never really works out very well in the end.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 AM

5,195 posts, read 7,510,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I moved here last year due to one of those large international companies.

In this economy, it would be a sure sign that our property values would be on an upswing in the future. A lot of regions of the country are facing bleak futures in home sales etc., due to poor manufacturing/job prospects.
I don't think that growth is any guarantee that your home value will go up, especially when you live out in the sprawl that dominates this area so much. When the value of a home in the burbs starts to rise, some of the vacant land amongst all this sprawl just gets developed, which increases supply and negates any rise in values.

Unless you are in a very desirable location, in a high-density area, I wouldn't count on home values in this area to rise any faster than inflation. That's the history of this region (even during "booms") and it will continue to be the rule unless the local governments do something to control all the sprawl. I don't see that ever happening around here.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,963,231 times
The more coastal cities will always have more growth because the ocean is the ultimate draw. I am sure many of us would rather be within 1 hour of the ocean, but instead choose Greenville due to work or family. Regardless, Greenville has a lot to offer those who can appreciate it's unique offerings. As much as I love Greenville, I would be at the ocean if I was independently wealthy and jobless.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:47 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,963,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I don't think that growth is any guarantee that your home value will go up, especially when you live out in the sprawl that dominates this area so much. When the value of a home in the burbs starts to rise, some of the vacant land amongst all this sprawl just gets developed, which increases supply and negates any rise in values.

Unless you are in a very desirable location, in a high-density area, I wouldn't count on home values in this area to rise any faster than inflation. That's the history of this region (even during "booms") and it will continue to be the rule unless the local governments do something to control all the sprawl. I don't see that ever happening around here.
Well, I am coming out of Detroit, a state that has seen an absolute purging of jobs, and real estate pricing manipulation/inflation at epic proportions thanks to the corrupt banking and real estate market I agree about continued flat sales in cookie cutter sprawling subdivisions. IMO, those homes are being built too cheaply and too prolifically. I was smart this time around and chose a prime downtown location in a historical area to help ensure future stability if I ever move. I remember when I sold my home back in Detroit, a few years later I saw it foreclosed and listed at literally 1/2 of what I orig paid for it.

Personally I would not touch a new construction subdivision with a 10 foot pole. I rented a big box new construction home in one of those subdivisions for almost 2k per month when I first moved here until I could buy. The walls were like paper, the doors were made out of pressed cardboard with plastic coating, the new carpet was thread bare, nails popping out of the drywall, the fixtures were made of metallic coated plastic and would fall off the walls, and even the ac unit outside was set down on a Styrofoam block that was faux painted to look like concrete!

Old 06-30-2014, 02:13 PM

7,994 posts, read 10,919,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Greenville's growth is overstated. While it is growing, it is not growing at rates like Charleston, MYB, York/Lancaster and depending on the year, Columbia in SC. In the southeast, it is nowhere on par with growth found in places like Raleigh, Nashville, Atlanta, & Charlotte.
True.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,711,220 times
Wow, I guess Greenville isn't growing like I thought it was (leaps and bounds). And that's not a bad thing lol.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:08 PM

4,382 posts, read 6,080,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The thing is this:

MSA population added from July1, 2012 to July 1, 2013:
Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin 8,857
Columbia 9,248
Charleston-North Charleston 14,723

Now, if you're talking about counties okay, but the fact that downtown Columbia rests on the Lexington County line complicates the comparison.
That's just one year. Who says those numbers always were and will be that every year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area