Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 06:13 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,852,092 times

Advertisements

Are Greenville residents worried about projected growth, or do you embrace it?

Just curious- I saw that Greenville continues to attract large and international companies and surely people will move to Greenville for those jobs, transfer to Greenville, move to Greenville from other high priced areas such as out west, up north and FL etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 06:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,194,738 times
I moved here last year due to one of those large international companies.

In this economy, it would be a sure sign that our property values would be on an upswing in the future. A lot of regions of the country are facing bleak futures in home sales etc., due to poor manufacturing/job prospects.

I think that Greenville should invest more in preserving its history, preserving historical neighborhoods, and repurposing old brown fields and commercial buildings.

Once a city begins bulldozing everything and building cheap new subdivisions for miles, the area loses it's soul, history and charm. The last thing Greenville needs, is to become another Charlotte filled with skyscrapers and generic new construction McMansions.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,945,796 times
I welcome it. I think growth can be a good thing as long as it is planned for and in moderation. To me, it shows an area is doing well.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:46 PM

11,690 posts, read 24,687,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I welcome it. I think growth can be a good thing as long as it is planned for and in moderation. To me, it shows an area is doing well.
Agreed. Wish Simpsonville would get this memo. Nothing but cookie cutter sprawl there.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Are Greenville residents worried about projected growth, or do you embrace it?

Just curious- I saw that Greenville continues to attract large and international companies and surely people will move to Greenville for those jobs, transfer to Greenville, move to Greenville from other high priced areas such as out west, up north and FL etc.
Greenville's growth is overstated. While it is growing, it is not growing at rates like Charleston, MYB, York/Lancaster and depending on the year, Columbia in SC. In the southeast, it is nowhere on par with growth found in places like Raleigh, Nashville, Atlanta, & Charlotte.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I moved here last year due to one of those large international companies.

In this economy, it would be a sure sign that our property values would be on an upswing in the future. A lot of regions of the country are facing bleak futures in home sales etc., due to poor manufacturing/job prospects.

I think that Greenville should invest more in preserving its history, preserving historical neighborhoods, and repurposing old brown fields and commercial buildings.

Once a city begins bulldozing everything and building cheap new subdivisions for miles, the area loses it's soul, history and charm. The last thing Greenville needs, is to become another Charlotte filled with skyscrapers and generic new construction McMansions.
Skyscrapers.......how much coverage did Greenville devote to a new 10 story building?

Become another Charlotte? Greenville would be lucky. I have lived in both places and while Greenville has a nice Main St, Lauren's road, Haywood, Woodruff, Poinsett, and just about anything outside of the very small downtown is average at best. McMansions.....Simpsonville or Thornblade sound familiar?

Historic neighborhoods? Try Myers Park, Eastover, Dilworth, NODA, Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood in Charlotte for starters. Sprawl? Greenville has less than half the population of Mecklenburg in a land area twice the size. It's cute to make those comments about "we don't want to be another Charlotte", good news is that you won't. And, that is not something to brag about hen you look at it closely.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:26 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,852,092 times
personally i think slow/moderate and steady growth is best.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
personally i think slow/moderate and steady growth is best.
Then, you will like Greenville. According to the Greenville economic development site, Metro Greenville grows at about 1.4% annually adding about 90k residents over a 12 year period. Last year, Charleston added twice that rate and Columbia was a little higher. Places like Charlotte add the material equivalent of Greenville each year or about 50k residents.

There is nothing wrong with that, however, the Greenville leaders and media will try to claim it as the fastest growing part of SC and want to be the largest, fastest growing, wealthiest etc.....on the economic development website, they claim Greenville as the wealthiest is SC which is not close to true.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 AM

11,690 posts, read 24,687,297 times
Greenville County is the fastest growing county in the state in terms of raw number according to the US Census. Oh and I love Charlotte so there. It's Dallas that sucks.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:19 AM

12,779 posts, read 18,595,669 times
Rate of growth = growth percentage as in 1.1% vs 1.3% vs. 2%, etc.
Highest rate of growth = fastest growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area