U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:25 PM

11 posts, read 20,993 times

Advertisements

The amusement park on Simuel Rd. in Spartanburg near Asheville Highway, which was originally Mountasia from 1993 until about 2003, then "Funwerks" for a while, and after that "Funtasia", operated by a Christian named Clyde McFadden; has closed down for good. I'm not really surprised.

The arcade was old. Now, I love classic arcade games from the '80s and '90s. You don't see them as often... hence that Frankie's Fun Park has all newer games from 2006-present, and Mr. Gatti's just got in a lot of new games released in the past year and even upgraded their card-swiping system. But Mr. Gatti's still has some '90s games such as The Lost World: Jurassic Park and The Ocean Hunter which most of you don't acknowledge. The newest game that Funtasia had was Sega Bass Fishing which they got in 2007. There was a Ridge Racer 2 machine that broke down in 2010 and it hadn't been serviced since then. A popular game there was the Sega "WaveRunner" arcade machine which had moving jet-ski hydraulics. Other classic '80s games and fighting games were there, but they weren't maintained well. Some games were hunched together and facing a wall. Worst of all, some games ate people's tokens.

The concessions were old and expensive. $1 for a small bag of chips is not my cup of tea. On a regular basis, the attractions were so overpriced. $10 to ride go-karts and $7 to ride the bumper boats or something.

I used to come here a lot in 2010 when The Hook Teen Center took place. For $5 you could have unlimited access to go-karts, mini golf and the bumper boats, and then Buddy Hall would hold some church service outside for a few minutes. I'll admit the go-karts were a lot of fun, but this place was looking quite rough.

This place seriously needs some new management and remodeling. Get in some new(er) games, switch from tokens to the "card-swiping" system, resurface the pavement on the go-kart track and golf course, also new carpeting for the arcade, and some remodeling for the party room.

I'm just wondering if anyone recalls Funtasia, because I'm considering to make a petition to remodel the place. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 AM

19,380 posts, read 17,079,986 times
Default Blessed Fun at Funtasia, 185 Simuel Road, Spartanburg, SC 29303-2085

I remember passing by it several times. Though the facility was nice years before, it needs upkeep. I think there was a time Blessed Fun at Funtasia was closed on Sunday, a major day for family entertainment after church.

Spartanburg also had another fun park on Southport Road. Unfortunately, this site has become a revolving door of night clubs.

Spartanburg can use a fun park in a bigger and visible location.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 AM

410 posts, read 664,186 times
I remember the days of Mountasia. I loved playing putt-putt there. The place on Southport Road was called "International Pavilion". I'm not sure why to be honest besides the fact that they had international flags decorating the place. I spent many an evening riding the go-carts there.

Good times...

I do agree that Spartanburg could use a fun park. Even at 32, I still love a rousing game of putt-putt! :-)

Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
I do agree that Spartanburg could use a fun park. Even at 32, I still love a rousing game of putt-putt! :-)
I cannot disagree. Spartanburg needs something like Frankie's Fun Park that is not expensive, better organized and better secured.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I remember passing by it several times. Though the facility was nice years before, it needs upkeep. I think there was a time Blessed Fun at Funtasia was closed on Sunday, a major day for family entertainment after church.

Spartanburg also had another fun park on Southport Road. Unfortunately, this site has become a revolving door of night clubs.

It really could. I remember the "295 Fun Park" on Southport that you are talking about. The arcade was pretty cool, but later all of the machines were gone and replaced with inflatable bounce houses, etc. All I seen arcade-wise was one of those lame PGA golf games.

I really only cared for the arcade portion, but when I have money to spare on go-karts that's actually pretty fun!

3 years ago it became some ghetto nightclub. Nickels and Dimes, Inc. had a Tilt arcade at WestGate Mall which stayed open from 2008-2011. That arcade went downhill pretty quickly and no staff was on duty. :\

Arcades are dead, but I can almost guarantee you; if someone opened a "barcade" downtown with games taking only 1 token or set on 'free play' and have it well-maintained, it will stay open pretty long. Asheville and Greensboro are pretty alive with arcades IMO. Asheville has a supposedly huge pinball community. And Greensboro has a game store with classic arcade games.

The only "arcade" left now is Mr. Gatti's GattiLand. GattiTown in Greenville closed because the owners refused to pay the leases.

Whatever happened to Putt-Putt? :P

Old 07-03-2014, 05:37 PM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Saiyan Paul View Post
It really could. I remember the "295 Fun Park" on Southport that you are talking about. The arcade was pretty cool, but later all of the machines were gone and replaced with inflatable bounce houses, etc. All I seen arcade-wise was one of those lame PGA golf games.

I really only cared for the arcade portion, but when I have money to spare on go-karts that's actually pretty fun!

3 years ago it became some ghetto nightclub. Nickels and Dimes, Inc. had a Tilt arcade at WestGate Mall which stayed open from 2008-2011. That arcade went downhill pretty quickly and no staff was on duty. :\

Arcades are dead, but I can almost guarantee you; if someone opened a "barcade" downtown with games taking only 1 token or set on 'free play' and have it well-maintained, it will stay open pretty long. Asheville and Greensboro are pretty alive with arcades IMO. Asheville has a supposedly huge pinball community. And Greensboro has a game store with classic arcade games.

The only "arcade" left now is Mr. Gatti's GattiLand. GattiTown in Greenville closed because the owners refused to pay the leases.

I thought about that too.....no Congo River?? I know Frankie's has it but that's geared toward kids. I think they could use one somewhere near downtown and it would do well.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Saiyan Paul View Post

Putt Putt was popular through the 1980's. When they could not keep up with new fun parks and lost business, it was easier to close than to improve.

The former Putt Putt on Reidville Road was demolished to make way for a standalone Founders Federal Credit Union drive through automatic teller machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I thought about that too.....no Congo River?? I know Frankie's has it but that's geared toward kids. I think they could use one somewhere near downtown and it would do well.
That would be nice.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:57 PM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times
[/quote]That would be nice.[/quote]

I think it would be fun Do you think it would ever be considered?

Old 07-03-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I think it would be fun Do you think it would ever be considered?
An indoor miniature golf course in downtown Greenville failed. Miniature golf, indoors or outdoors there, is not a failed concept if someone is willing to do it successfully.

I would like to have miniature golf in Spartanburg again.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Putt Putt was popular through the 1980's. When they could not keep up with new fun parks and lost business, it was easier to close than to improve.

The former Putt Putt on Reidville Road was demolished to make way for a standalone Founders Federal Credit Union drive through automatic teller machine.

That would be nice.
As I imagine Putt-Putt was also popular throughout the '90s. Before I was even born my oldest brother had his 5th birthday there in 1993 and had games like The Addams Family and Gilligan's Island pinball and 4-player X-Men arcade from Konami.

I remember going to Putt-Putt when it went bankrupt and had a different name back in early 2006 (or something like that). My parents went to see "Walk the Line" while we went golfing. :P

Nowadays every high-end arcade only has stuff like Guitar Hero and The Fast and the Furious: Super Bikes, and redemption games. It's just pathetic in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or