U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2014, 06:13 PM
 
1,283 posts, read 2,156,379 times
Reputation: 660

Advertisements

Wonder how many people, especially out of Spartanburg County will transfer their job but maintain living in the Upstate. Depending on where they have their suburban campus, it could be feasible for many to just commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 PM
 
3,205 posts, read 3,766,530 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Wonder how many people, especially out of Spartanburg County will transfer their job but maintain living in the Upstate. Depending on where they have their suburban campus, it could be feasible for many to just commute.
I am sure you will see some of that, there are more commuters to Charlotte from the upstate than you would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 AM
 
8 posts, read 6,929 times
Reputation: 11
So we've lost Sealed Air to Charlotte, Bi-Lo to Jacksonville, and Amy's to Oregon. What else? (Granted, some of those were simply lost bids rather than corporate hq relocations, but we still don't have them here.)

Why aren't we competing well? The one good thing, I suppose, is that we're not losing them all to one city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,068 posts, read 19,944,222 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsyg View Post
So we've lost Sealed Air to Charlotte, Bi-Lo to Jacksonville, and Amy's to Oregon. What else? (Granted, some of those were simply lost bids rather than corporate hq relocations, but we still don't have them here.)

Why aren't we competing well? The one good thing, I suppose, is that we're not losing them all to one city.
Not sure what you mean we aren't competing well. Seen the unemployment rate and home sales in the area lately? The only thing we lost was Bi-Lo which nobody even notices is missing. Amy's was never here to begin with and Sealed Air's HQ was in New Jersey not Greenville. We are still gaining lots of new jobs and companies. Everything from Ecosurance to GE to BMW to ZF to Toray.

Last edited by g-man430; 07-25-2014 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 07:08 AM
 
4,382 posts, read 6,075,144 times
Reputation: 1569
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 AM
 
631 posts, read 878,379 times
Reputation: 346
That and local businesses are growing and hiring. Our agency has landed Microsoft as a client and some other large ones in the works. That means hiring and we're always hiring.

Our dev team has grown from like 10-15 to 40+ in 1 1/2 years.

Crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 PM
 
8 posts, read 6,929 times
Reputation: 11
I understand your point(s), of course - Greenville and South Carolina in general is on the fast track, IMHO. Just wondering why we didn't get it this time, and how we can do better.

The G-news story said international flights and workforce were key reasons why Sealed Air passed on Greenville. How many more deals could we attract if we did better in those arenas? More headquarters and relocations = better for the entire region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,068 posts, read 19,944,222 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsyg View Post
I understand your point(s), of course - Greenville and South Carolina in general is on the fast track, IMHO. Just wondering why we didn't get it this time, and how we can do better.

The G-news story said international flights and workforce were key reasons why Sealed Air passed on Greenville. How many more deals could we attract if we did better in those arenas? More headquarters and relocations = better for the entire region.
We can't do any better in those areas for the time being due to lack of population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2014, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,068 posts, read 19,944,222 times
Reputation: 2657
Greenville is definitely not alone. Another loss for Charlotte: Dollar Tree to acquire Matthews-based Family Dollar for $8.5 billion | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Mauldin/Greenville
3,257 posts, read 3,969,514 times
Reputation: 1258
Family Dollar and Dollar Tree will continue to operate as separate divisions with the Family Dollar headquarters and distribution center remaining in Matthews, NC near Charlotte. Whether there will be any downsizing in the corporate office remains unclear. So not a total loss. And their neighbor Harris Teeter also remains headquartered in Matthews, despite recently being acquired by Kroger. The biggest loss to Charlotte in recent years was probably the loss of Wachovia to Wells Fargo, although it remains an East coast operations center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top