U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:01 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,238,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsyg View Post
So we've lost Sealed Air to Charlotte, Bi-Lo to Jacksonville, and Amy's to Oregon. What else? (Granted, some of those were simply lost bids rather than corporate hq relocations, but we still don't have them here.)

Why aren't we competing well? The one good thing, I suppose, is that we're not losing them all to one city.
As previously mentioned in another post:

SC is off the short list for Stone Brewery.

Stone Brewing says no to S.C., looks at 2 other states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Family Dollar and Dollar Tree will continue to operate as separate divisions with the Family Dollar headquarters and distribution center remaining in Matthews, NC near Charlotte. Whether there will be any downsizing in the corporate office remains unclear. So not a total loss. And their neighbor Harris Teeter also remains headquartered in Matthews, despite recently being acquired by Kroger. The biggest loss to Charlotte in recent years was probably the loss of Wachovia to Wells Fargo, although it remains an East coast operations center.
The WFC/WB merger was not a loss for Charlotte other than the HQ aspect. Charlotte has more Wells employees in Charlotte than WB did when it was the HQ city. WFC is building out the fixed income business in Charlotte rather than expanding into NYC as well as making it a preferred employment center.

In the long run, Family Dollar and HT will have operations in Charlotte, just not sure the extent. The thing that GMAN has not mentioned is that Charlotte is attracting jobs/companies at a fast rate. MetLife just moved 1,390 people to Charlotte, Spectra Finance is moving 250, Sealed Air is moving 1,300, LPL is adding 2,000, Babson Capital is moving their HQ to a new 25 story tower on S Tryon, Red Ventures is adding 400 people in the university city area and over 200 in Northern Lancaster County. Most of these job announcements were within the past 2-3 months and don't include the new tire plant, Premier's growth, and another 1,000 plus jobs announced by another healthcare company

Transactions will always happen in business which may affect a city, the key is to have a solid infrastructure in place to continue attracting companies. Certus and Proterra are two Greenville companies that may be affected by transactions. The most glaring metric for Greenville is the educational attainment level.

Of course, we did lose O-Cha Tea to Greenville, it was described as a big "win" for Greenville...right Gville.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:29 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,722,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
The WFC/WB merger was not a loss for Charlotte other than the HQ aspect. Charlotte has more Wells employees in Charlotte than WB did when it was the HQ city. WFC is building out the fixed income business in Charlotte rather than expanding into NYC as well as making it a preferred employment center.

In the long run, Family Dollar and HT will have operations in Charlotte, just not sure the extent. The thing that GMAN has not mentioned is that Charlotte is attracting jobs/companies at a fast rate. MetLife just moved 1,390 people to Charlotte, Spectra Finance is moving 250, Sealed Air is moving 1,300, LPL is adding 2,000, Babson Capital is moving their HQ to a new 25 story tower on S Tryon, Red Ventures is adding 400 people in the university city area and over 200 in Northern Lancaster County. Most of these job announcements were within the past 2-3 months and don't include the new tire plant, Premier's growth, and another 1,000 plus jobs announced by another healthcare company

Transactions will always happen in business which may affect a city, the key is to have a solid infrastructure in place to continue attracting companies. Certus and Proterra are two Greenville companies that may be affected by transactions. The most glaring metric for Greenville is the educational attainment level.

Of course, we did lose O-Cha Tea to Greenville, it was described as a big "win" for Greenville...right Gville.
What is it with your attitude toward our city? Do you hate it that much? Please, just go to the Charlotte forum and stay there. Leave us alone. We are Greenville. We are proud.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
What is it with your attitude toward our city? Do you hate it that much? Please, just go to the Charlotte forum and stay there. Leave us alone. We are Greenville. We are proud.
Easy, ask Gman why he brought up Charlotte's loss. Why is it you and others get so sensitive when economic facts are brought up that are not favorable towards Greenville? It is a fact that Greenvile has the lowest educational attainment level of the three SC based metros, Sealed Air mentioned this as a reason they chose Charlotte. Greenville has a nice little downtown but more needs to be done.

One place to start is I85, it is in terrible shape, not sure it has been paved since I lived there. Instead of building flyover bridges to make an impression at 385, use that money to fix the craters on 85.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 PM

10,079 posts, read 19,983,227 times
Because I wanted to show that Greenville is not alone when it comes to losing corporate headquarters (listening to some forum members on here, you wouldn't know that) which Sealed Air never had here by the way unless Greenville moved to New Jersey recently. lol.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Because I wanted to show that Greenville is not alone when it comes to losing corporate headquarters (listening to some forum members on here, you wouldn't know that) which Sealed Air never had here by the way unless Greenville moved to New Jersey recently. lol.
I understand. Folks like Furman get mad when facts don't paint Greenville as the best place on earth. I simply pointed out that there are a lot of positives happening in Charlotte. Family Dollar was years in the making, not sure of the impact just yet.

Losing companies will happen, Greenville should understand this well with the textile industry. You have to keep recruiting and improving the metrics.....not just sprucing up Main St. Bruce Yandle has written about this many times.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:50 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,722,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I understand. Folks like Furman get mad when facts don't paint Greenville as the best place on earth. I simply pointed out that there are a lot of positives happening in Charlotte. Family Dollar was years in the making, not sure of the impact just yet.

Losing companies will happen, Greenville should understand this well with the textile industry. You have to keep recruiting and improving the metrics.....not just sprucing up Main St. Bruce Yandle has written about this many times.
I have never gotten "mad" about anything posted on this forum. Charlotte is nice. I was in the airport a couple of weeks ago. It was impressive. But, I really don't care about Charlotte. I do care about Greenville. This forum is for and about Greenville. I am sure there is a Charlotte forum for you. Good luck in Charlotte. We can take care of ourselves in Greenville.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I have never gotten "mad" about anything posted on this forum. Charlotte is nice. I was in the airport a couple of weeks ago. It was impressive. But, I really don't care about Charlotte. I do care about Greenville. This forum is for and about Greenville. I am sure there is a Charlotte forum for you. Good luck in Charlotte. We can take care of ourselves in Greenville.
Like I said, I did not bring Charlotte up in this forum.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:44 AM
Yac

5,877 posts, read 6,306,735 times
Back on topic folks, please.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or